I didnt have my glasses on...

icehole

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ruxpin

You're catching on to what I'm putting down...I like it.

Well, while I don't agree with much of it, @icehole, I'm trying to give you the benefit of at least listening to what you're saying and attempting to address it. 

Of all the points made, the one that really strikes a chord for me is the disparate treatment of Couturier and Read among fans.  (fans, because they seem to be likewise treated by the team/coach).

I get killed on here because I think he isn't that great, that all makes me expect a little more from him.

Not specifically with Couturier, but you're not the first and won't be the last to take heat about a differing POV about a player.   Ask fanatic about Raffl vs. McGinn.  

Or ask aziz how well Nodl is doing.

I would, however, offer friendly advice to avoid a new thread after each game pointing out an error.  I completely understand the urge for a "See?!  I told you!" but I would suggest adding it to an existing thread.    Since this has gone 12 pages and people are still paying attention (currently 9 people looking at this thread and that doesn't include several active conversation participants) I don't think your "SEE!!!"  will get missed.

Toughness and a good shot are missing from his game.

I can't think of an instance to argue your "good shot" point.  I haven't noticed a particularly bad shot, to be honest, but it's certainly not Reggie Leach or Pavel Bure or whomever.  

The toughness thing, I suppose it depends upon one's measuring stick.   I would simply offer up the brawl series (might actually have been the last weekend of the regular season; there was several line brawls in a week or so) in which Neal ran Couturier's head.   He was clocked.  He may have missed one shift and was right back at it.  I think it was the playoff brawl game rather than regular season, though, because I remember him full laughing on the bench shortly after and I think it was in response to Hulk Hogan on the center ice screen.

@murraycraven

My first recent post was a reply to the "doing something stupid" thread.  I asked if doing something stupid would include trading couturier because I would do it.  Then I got attacked from all sides.  I started a new thread and a few hours later, it had to be taken down by the moderators because it was just abuse and went off topic.  So don't tell me that I started obsessing about Couturier.  There's a few man crushes going on here.

@pilldoc

Are you reading anything I'm writing?  I don't need to see him develop because he doesn't have the skills to develop!!!!  We keep going round and round because most of you think he does and they keep comparing him to people that have more skill than him.

I'm not going to pretend to know everything about these shut down forwards, but the ones that succeed have more skill than Couturier does!!!  And the next time I see Toews, Kopitar, and Bergeron in the same sentence as couturier, I might throw up.  He needs time to develop yet most people have him up there with the selke finalists.

@murraycraven

My first recent post was a reply to the "doing something stupid" thread. I asked if doing something stupid would include trading couturier because I would do it. Then I got attacked from all sides. I started a new thread and a few hours later, it had to be taken down by the moderators because it was just abuse and went off topic. So don't tell me that I started obsessing about Couturier. There's a few man crushes going on here.

Puff Puff pass dude... Pretty easy to see you are the one obsessed with Coots.

So now you say Coots does not have the talent to develop? Hater gonna hate...

@ruxpin

I measure toughness in this case by how easily he can be taken off the puck and his fight to get the puck.  Couturier was coming down the left side the other night and there was a defenseman drifting back.  The defenseman start to cut over to seal him off, he stopped and threw a weak, low percentage shot on net.  You can imagine what was going through my head.

Then, the very next shift, Laughton got the puck and just went at like three guys.  He got a scoring chance then went at a couple more guys, stole the puck, and had another scoring chance.  Then he stayed after it to lodge it loose for Simonds to get a change. 

Couturier doesn't have that toughness or instinct to push through that defenseman and drive to the net.  That's why I see a lot of one and done chances with Couturier.

And I said he couldn't pass!!!  Sign him now!!!  8 years/$80mill.  We might as well give read a new deal too.  Umberger is probably a +1 at least too.  I don't know about you but maybe we can extend his deal.

Great period by Couturier! He looked involved. And he looked faster.

This is exactly why you don't give up on these guys at 21. Couturier has these dominant games every once in a while and it reminds you of the potential he has - as long as you see flashes of stuff, you know it's in there. It was the same with Giroux, Schenn, JVR, Voracek. They might not be consistent when they're young, but when you get to see some flashes of why they were drafted so high, it's a good sign.

Archived