I didnt have my glasses on...

icehole

Couturier ****ed his sister ?   I don't get it either @flyercanuck

I wish 14 was a better skater, but I think he could be a Ron Francis type player eventually,  but Ron Francis wasn't "Ron Francis" until he was in the league for a couple of 4 years.  So as long as there is "growth" I can tolerate some spotty play.  The added responsibility is difficult because his running partner hasn't been playing very well this year and his off side winger has been terrible or a player to be named later.  I see that he sees the good play, he's getting checked before he can make it,  that process will speed up for him and he'll start magically finding open guys for good shots, it just may take more than 30 games at the NHL level for the thought to get to his hands. i know you know this... 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just think berube is not a good coach and it's affecting the players, if you look at calary, they have a young team but they are playing better because they have a good coach and knows how to win. i just think they need to clean out the bad contracts and get a vet coach sort of like hitch or hartley that knows how to handle young players and i think this team can get better.

I can't say that about Couturier because he isn't playing well and hasn't for three seasons.

13 goals, 39 points, +1 as a third line center at age 21 isn't "playing well"?

Well, allll right then.

We'll just agree to differ.

@mojo1917

I don't have a sister...5 brothers so that's not it.

More than 30 games?!?!  I just spit up in my imaginary coffee.  Are we talking about the same player.  I think he's played more than 30 games.

please don't waste anymore imaginary coffee on my account.

There seems to be a part of my post that you missed, it's this part right here.

The added responsibility is difficult because his running partner hasn't been playing very well this year and his off side winger has been terrible or a player to be named later.

He's only been asked to expand his game beyond playing defense this year,  so while he has been in the league for 3 years, this is the first year where the team has expressed interest in him expanding his game offensively. Maybe there have been more than 30 games played this year but it is still less than half a season where he's been expected to add to the score sheet.  Any offense from 14 to this point has been lagniappe.  The point i am making is he's expanding his role in the NHL and has only been that for 30 games, give him a little time to work on some things,( his shot could be better), and some decent linemates and we'll see.  He'll learn to use his frame to shield the checkers he's a very good stickhandler. at 22 he's not close to being a finished product.

The Flyers as a whole are having a bad year. That might have an effect on the 2nd youngest player on the team.

So far this year he has 5 g 7 a 12 points. Certainly not tearing the league up. But he also gets the worst faceoffs of any player on the team as far as offence goes and usually has the job of shutting down the other teams top players.

Lets look at the players taken in his draft...

RNH 1st overall 6 g 11 a as Edmontons top line center.

Gabriel Landeskog 2nd overall 7g 9 a

Jonathan Huberdeau 3rd 2 g 9 a

Adam Larsson 4th 1 g 3 a 

Ryan Strome 5th 6g 13 a

Mika Zibanejad 6th 7g 6a

Mark Scheifele 7th 3 g 7 a

In other words...players take time to develop.

13 goals, 39 points, +1 as a third line center at age 21 isn't "playing well"?

Well, allll right then.

We'll just agree to differ.

Are you talking about this season?  Im guessing not.  without checking, I guess thats last season.  Those numbers are pretty good for a third liner at 21.  Are they good enough from a third year #8 pick?  Is there any sign of him doing that or better consistantly?  It looks like we'll get a chance to see.  I'm in the "keep him" camp now...it's more entertaining for me.

Are you talking about this season?  Im guessing not.  without checking, I guess thats last season.  Those numbers are pretty good for a third liner at 21.  Are they good enough from a third year #8 pick?  Is there any sign of him doing that or better consistantly?  It looks like we'll get a chance to see.  I'm in the "keep him" camp now...it's more entertaining for me.

Are they good enough for #8 pick in his third year?

Find a #8 that's done better...

Oh my God, I can't find the link now, but I just read somewhere this morning that Couturier tore the tag of his mattress.   Crucify the bastard!

He did what!!!!??? I'v freakin' had it with him. Snotty nosed 22 year old 3rd line center. Hook up his nards to a car battery and throw the switch.

Are they good enough for #8 pick in his third year?

Find a #8 that's done better...

A number 8 or anyone 8-100?  You got me there...not a very good draft.  Saad is a pretty good player on a cup team though.  He has had better numbers.

If he has the numbers you listed consistantly, I'd keep him.  The first two center spots are accounted for so I would take that from the 3rd line center.  He has to do it consistantly though.

I still think they wanted more than a third line center when they picked that high.

Offensively, he looks slow mentally and physically and makes a lot of poor decisions.

it's lack of confidence more than anything I bet. He's working a line with dead weight hanging off it (offensively) and his options are limited. If he was a seasoned vet and not 21 maybe he could right the ship, or at least get it back above water. Right now the team stinks except for the top line. The rest of the lines there's no flow, no chemistry, no nothing. Couturier can't change that. If he was on a good team with smart, fast wingers I guarantee you he'd surprise everyone (around here) with his offensive production.

Maybe I'm crazy but when I've seen him play with confidence he looks like a 30+ goal scorer. Hopefully Hextall keeps the young guys around for the duration - i.e. however long it takes them to develop.

@brelic - good reminder about BSchenn.

A number 8 or anyone 8-100?  You got me there...not a very good draft.  Saad is a pretty good player on a cup team though.  He has had better numbers.

If he has the numbers you listed consistantly, I'd keep him.  The first two center spots are accounted for so I would take that from the 3rd line center.  He has to do it consistantly though.

I still think they wanted more than a third line center when they picked that high.

They did. And they may have it.

I meant look at any #8 taken. Find a better one.

There are a couple in the past 10-15 years.

From BroadStreetBuzz last spring.   I think this author says it well.

post-2-0-08922500-1418276542_thumb.jpg

Conclusion

Couturier has clearly shown that he has the defensive chops to be recognized along with Kopitar, Toews, and Bergeron. Unfortunately, he does not have the offensive numbers to go along with such players. His zone starts, quality of teammates, and lack of power play time bury Couturier in a defensive shell that no player can escape. Unless the Flyers find a line that can ease his zone start disparity, give him the opportunity to play with two competent wingers, and offer him consistent power play time we will likely continue to see Couturier a one-dimensional shutdown player.

They did. And they may have it.

I meant look at any #8 taken. Find a better one.

There are a couple in the past 10-15 years.

I think you have to look at #8 and later.  If #8 is cursed for some reason, they could have always trade down.  It looks like defense may have been a better option that year.  There always seems to be a log jam at center yet they always pick one up.  Either way, he has had numbers better than most players behind him in the draft.  He had a good rookie season followed by a bad sopmore year followed by a good season and another bad season so far this year.  That scares me a little.

Archived