Bortozzo suspended two games for hit on Jagr.

nossagog

I'll try this again.  Pens Robert Bortozzo was suspended for hit on Jaromir Jagr in last nights game.  Explanation of suspension:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=742229&navid=nhl:topheads

Confussing explanation IMHO,   I need a definition of what "extremely late" is for future reference as the hit was fractions of seconds after the pass, and about 10 feet away in distance from each other.  Violent hit, yes.  But this is a hit on the other teams star player that coach's would probably not want their team to give up.   Didn't leave feet, kept elbow in, it was mostly  a factor of the speed of both players.

Thoughts?

I have Erhoff in another league so I'm diversifying a little ;). Bortuzzo is actually worth more though with his blocks, hits, and PIMs.

In the CBS league, Blocks and hits don't count towards points though. Only PIM's, goals, assists and +/-

@nossagog

I don't think there was anything confusing about that what so ever.  The play was absolutely interference for the late hit.  Look at Bortuzzo's play, he lined Jagr up for the hit and continued through the decision well after Jagr passed away the puck. I don't think it matters as much anymore being a shoulder hit to the head (as in the past termed legal) as the hit was late and there was significant contact to the head. Two games is completely appropriate.

@nossagog

I don't think there was anything confusing about that what so ever.  The play was absolutely interference for the late hit.  Look at Bortuzzo's play, he lined Jagr up for the hit and continued through the decision well after Jagr passed away the puck. I don't think it matters as much anymore being a shoulder hit to the head (as in the past termed legal) as the hit was late and there was significant contact to the head. Two games is completely appropriate.

HF, but what I want to know is what defines "well after he passed the puck".  This does nothing to take the ambiguity out of these types of hits.  Give me a time frame here, is it one second? Well the hit was less than a second after he passed the puck, so what now becomes the difference between interference and the age old "He was just finishing his check". 

I'm okay with a suspension if this is now the standard, but it needs to be the same, and to have the same, I need a quantitative way of measuring it so that it easy to say AHA, that hit was .75 seconds after the pass, so it violates the .5 second rule.   In the end, I just want consistency, and the explanation for me just doesn't define the parameter well enough for a player to know what to not do.

@hf101

The hit was late? The youth players are taught a two second rule to this day. This hit was one second tops. No strides in, elbow down, shoulder to chest...

It's complete bullsh*t. Extremely late? One second? Wtf is this table tennis? But Steckel's shoulder into Crosby's chin wasn't a penalty?

They have a tough standard to match now. If one second at that speed is late, every game the rest of the season they better be suspending somebody. Hits with this timing go every single game. It's the pussification of hockey because old man Jagr got the wind knocked out of him. Absofrigginluteky ridiculous.

DeBoer says it best "If that hit was on Crosby it would be World War 4"  

I think the hit was closer to 2 seconds after Jagr released the puck.   You have to look at also Bortuzzo's path on the ice.  The key to the suspension imo is contact to the head as Bortuzzo didn't get much body in initial impact.

It was somewhat late and he did contact his head. I don't think it was that bad of a hit. A couple of years ago it was clean. Now it isn't. Losing Boruzzo for 2 games should have zero effect on the Pens or their opponents.

I thought 2 was fair. Little late. Definitely targeted the head. No prior "convictions". Textbook 2 gamer.

This hurts to say, but I pretty much agree with you.   :D

Not 100% sure it's worth 2 games, but that's today's NHL.  It was late, IMO, possible interference/possibly a charge.  

This hurts to say, but I pretty much agree with you.   :D

Not 100% sure it's worth 2 games, but that's today's NHL.  It was late, IMO, possible interference/possibly a charge.  

More of a concern - I guess this kills what little chance the Pens had of brining back Jags at the trade deadline. :blink[1]:

BS decision destroying the sport. Shoulder to chest and not late at all. I'll disagree till I'm dead.

I watched it several times, and I am seing exactly what you are seing - a shoulder to the the chest.  This is Scott Stevens' signature hit, except Stevens actually *did* go for the opponent's head EVERY SINGLE TIME.  And not once Stevens has been even penalized, let alone served a suspension.

It does look like a BS type of decision... at least from where I seat.

When Stevens was doing it it was a legal hit. Now if there appears to be head contact, and theres an injury, and he's a star player...well the odds are against you.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the head were the point of initial impact.  But the guy hits Jagr in the chest/shoulder area, and Jagr's head snaps forward into his shoulder.  How can you hit someone and be held accountable for where his body goes after impact?  

Archived