Bill Meltzer's Blog Post Today - Sunday 11/30

pilldoc

the thing i would do is get rid of coburn, grossman, mcdonald, maybe luke schenn, vinny, and rj, hire a new coach with a winning system that knows how to put players in the right position to win and i think this team can be good again. Problem now is the pieces are out of the puzzle, there's no chemistry with them and they playing sloppy because of it. if calgary can win games without great talent, so can we, the problem is the coach and the gm not getting rid of the dead weight.

Uggghh!  I keep forgetting that we gave up a 2nd for AMac.....We threw in a third too, didn't we.  And then I forget his contract too.  I still can't fathom 6 years....I'll give him 5 tops.  It seems my brain will not allow me to acknowledge all these factors at once, its too much.....Its just too damn much to behold!

Yup, a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

I am pretty sure if Hextall retain most of his salary, there could be takers. No one in their right mind would take the full contract except Homer if he was still GM and that was what Hextall was trying to do.

There is a limit to how much you can retain.

If they retain more than 1.6 for Bumburglar or 2.8 for Lecadaver they'd probably be better off buying them out.

There is a limit to how much you can retain.

If they retain more than 1.6 for Bumburglar or 2.8 for Lecadaver they'd probably be better off buying them out.

By retaining, they are on the hook for 3-4 years in the rebuild process. Buying them out would be somewhere 7-8 years with the cap hit? We will probably be done rebuilding and looking to add players or resign our own. It might hurt them on the cap hit. This is where short term helps them but long term hurts them.

By retaining, they are on the hook for 3-4 years in the rebuild process. Buying them out would be somewhere 7-8 years with the cap hit? We will probably be done rebuilding and looking to add players or resign our own. It might hurt them on the cap hit. This is where short term helps them but long term hurts them.

Www.capgeek.com has the details on buyouts.

On phone, can't easily get them.

Bumburglar would be done in 4 years I think, Lecadaver longer, but cap hit drops in the out years.

With the top line killing it and the rest of the roster struggling....for me, the common sense solution is to at least try breaking up the top line and dispersing them through the line up. This could have a nice effect for a team that flat out sucks 5 on 5. Try pairing Vorachek with Cooter or Laughton and try Giroux with Simmonds. Maybe it works, maybe it does not, but it's better than just watching and hoping in vain for the #2 and 3 lines to wake up.

With the top line killing it and the rest of the roster struggling....for me, the common sense solution is to at least try breaking up the top line and dispersing them through the line up. This could have a nice effect for a team that flat out sucks 5 on 5. Try pairing Vorachek with Cooter or Laughton and try Giroux with Simmonds. Maybe it works, maybe it does not, but it's better than just watching and hoping in vain for the #2 and 3 lines to wake up.

You're just talking crazy. That would require actual coaching.

You are dead on... Stop pretending like teams are going to want VLC or RJ. T he had all season to move VLC and Noone wanted him meanwhile he has declined from last year...

exactly. it's a waste of energy thinking about ridding the team of those contracts.

just sit them and see if there's any talent on the farm

Strongly disagree. Why break up the only two players with chemistry, while they are playing the best hockey of their young careers? That has a real chance of utterly sinking this franchise to the point of Mason demanding a trade.

Strongly disagree. Why break up the only two players with chemistry, while they are playing the best hockey of their young careers? That has a real chance of utterly sinking this franchise to the point of Mason demanding a trade.

Well, I guess the point is, we are still losing with them together. I'm just saying, try breaking them up, see if it gives you satisfactory resultls....if not, move them back together. Having a one line team usually means a losing team in the NHL. If breaking them up is the only way to jumpstart the other lines, I believe you have to at least try it.....or keep them together and just accept losing. Vorachek and G will singlehandely wins games at times, but I'd rather have 2 or even 3 lines scoring.

For the first time in a long time we have reasonably good goal tending and may have a 100+ point player and another in the 90's. And we still will probably miss the playoffs. Go figure.
Yes, you're right. This just magnifies what I have been saying all along, especially since the KIngs and Blackhawks have been flip-flopping the Cup back and forth to each other. You CANNOT WIN THE CUP without a mobile defense, and a strong leader on that defense. The Kings have one in Doughty, the Blackhawks have one in Keith.

Yes, you're right. This just magnifies what I have been saying all along, especially since the KIngs and Blackhawks have been flip-flopping the Cup back and forth to each other. You CANNOT WIN THE CUP without a mobile defense, and a strong leader on that defense. The Kings have one in Doughty, the Blackhawks have one in Keith.

And if Keith gets hurt or turns total asshole, (it could happen ) there's Seabrook... an embarrassment of riches on that team

Bill, in his blog post today, has categorically and succinctly put all of our complaints/issues and all of our topic threads in one tidy post.   

It is his version of the State of the Union address with this current Flyers team......  I post it below for all to examine.  I make no bones about, it is the solid putrid truth about this team.  Again, this not shocking as most of us, unless you have been hiding a rock, have know about this team for weeks and months.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-State-of-the-Flyers-as-Team-Falls-to-Rangers-Again/45/64406

Here is the state of the 2014-15 Flyers: They are a one-line, one power play unit team that generates no supporting offense. The blueline is bottom heavy with plenty of viable fourth, fifth or sixth defensemen on a contender-caliber club but without bonafide top three players to anchor the unit. The team's issues on the blueline have been discussed to death ever since Chris Pronger's career came to an abrupt end and got worse when the unit lost longtime leader Kimmo Timonen as a steadying influence.

Now for something truly scary: Outside of the top line, the Flyer forwards are actually a bigger problem for the team than the defense right now. At least the majority of the Flyers defensemen have core competencies and reliably put forth a competitive effort. (I will agree to a point.  This is an AHL defense, and as has been mentioned in another thread...they are playing out of position and are set up to fail)

Beyond Jakub Voracek, Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds in the first five games of the season and Brayden Schenn in the majority of recent games, the Flyers forward corps has been putrid. It's bad enough that they aren't scoring and most of their scoring chances either end up getting blocked or missing the net. The rest of the game is lackluster, too.

Back pressure is inconsistent. Forechecking pressure is sometimes non-existent. Too many of the Flyers have been neither physical nor fleet. Add it all together and you have a mess.

For all the talk this summer about improved conditioning and a team-wide focus on the small details of the game, this Flyers team is prone to slow starts, bad third periods in winnable games and losing the small battles. Those issues were very much in evidence again yesterday in failed clears, 50-50 pucks that the Rangers almost away claimed and in communication lapses. (So who is holding these players accountable...certainly not Berube.)

Watch the way the Rangers execute breakouts against the Flyers. Time after time, they do it with ease (and have for each of the last three seasons under both John Tortorella and Alain Vigneault). The Flyers dump in the puck without generating any speed. The Rangers' defensemen make quicl retrievals. There is almost always an unmarked winger along the boards with no Flyers forwards in sight. As a result, it is easy to make a short-range pass that catches a winger in stride. The Rangers then fly through the neutral zone with speed, forcing the Flyers defensemen to back in for a clean entry into the Flyers zone. (This was an issue last year and it just proves how bad out defense corps really is)

Where is the back pressure? There is none. On the occasions when the Rangers do have to flip the puck into the corners, they get their forecheckers in quickly. The Flyers get stationary and it becomes a major chore simply to clear the puck out of the zone much less generate a counterattack. These types of shifts get cloned again and again.

Craig Berube takes a lot of heat for his handling of personnel but I'm not sure what he could be doing better with the current group. He can only work with the players that Ron Hextall and predecessor Paul Holmgren provided him. With Vincent Lecavalier and R.J. Umberger looking like they are prematurely finished as effective NHL players, (we have 9 mill invested in these 2 stiffs.  Essentially Bill is saying in a nice way that they are useless to this team)  Matt Read's game having inexplicably fallen apart and Sean Couturier not progressing offensively, I'm sure where else he can turn.

Twenty three games into the season, it is no laughing matter than low-scoring defensive defenseman Nicklas Grossmann actually has produced more goals (two) and points (five) than Umberger. It's not amusing that offensive defenseman Mark Streit's four goals match the combined goal output of Lecavalier and Read. It's worrisome that Couturier is pointless in his last seven games and has all of one goal and two assists since Oct. 22.

The Flyers goaltending, for the most part, has not been a big problem this season. Mason overall has kept the team in games in which they haven't deserved to be close. He's been excellent in November. Ray Emery had a real nice stretch in October

With that said, it's been awhile since Emery had a high-quality start and Steve Mason has had a few more lapses in games than he did in the first few months of last season. Neither goalie was

more than average in the home-and-home with the Rangers this weekend.

Emery had a pedestrian game yesterday. The Jesper Fast goal and the third period wraparound goal were not very well played. However, the Flyers as a team didn't deserve to win the game.

That has been the case far too frequently this season. Things won't magically get better, nor is there some latter day LeClair-and-Desjardins acquisition to be made. What's out there to be had in trade are the latter day Gilbert Dionnes at forward and end-of-the-line Jaroslav Modrys on defense.

At least on paper, the Flyers should be good enough to be a bubble team in the Eastern Conference. They have obvious flaws but so does most of the conference. There have been a few games against good teams this season where the Flyers have elevated their game to a higher level in stretches.

It is easy to forget now that the current Flyers team has most of the same players -- except the traded Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen due to his health concerns -- that they did last year. It's basically the same group that at, one point, successively thumped the Penguins twice in a home-and-home sweep, beat Chicago, defeated Dallas (despite a dominant game by the Stars' top line), downed St. Louis and then put up a hell of a fight to tie a game in the third period against Los Angeles before losing by one goal. It's basically the same team that pushed the Rangers to seven games in the playoffs.

The biggest difference: No one outside of the team's top two forwards has produced with any consistency this season. Meanwhile, Umberger (as likable as he is of a person off the ice) has been basically a dead-wood acquisition thus far to add to Lecavalier playing like dead wood, Read regressing and Couturier not progressing. They are not even playing all that great on the defensive side of the puck.

So what is a coach to do right now? (despite the calling of Berube to be fired, there is no other viable candidate out there.  Yes he has no system, but as someone posted, even Scotty Bowman wouldn't be able to coach this group) He can't play Giroux and Voracek 30 minutes a night. So where else are the quality minutes supposed to come when the team's second and third line caliber players are playing horribly and the fourth line of late has been barely viable even in that capacity. Things would look a lot different -- and better -- if at least a few other players picked up the pace even moderately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line...this team is terrible and there are no signs of any improvement in the near/immediate future.  I say ride the rest of the season out.  Bench players as needed to and then, if able to, start dropping the dead wood and hope for a top 5 pick in the 2015 draft.  Let Hexy start to purge this roster as needed and be prepared we might go through this again next season.

Bill is almost always on point. I couldn't even watch anymore on Saturday, so I left the house and decided to listen in the car. At one point, I heard the Flyers were on a 3 on 2 break and the next comment from the announcer was that they dumped the puck and Rangers recovered. I was like.. WTF!? We're on a 3-2 break and they dump the puck and then don't even fight for it? 

Again, I was on the radio, but it didn't sound like an over-extended shift scenario where they were dead tired and needed to get off. And quite frankly, it really didn't surprise me all that much. WTF is it with this team that they are dumping and chasing when they don't have the forecheck or the compete to battle for the pucks?

I realize that not even his holiness Scotty Bowmen could save this team, but I do think another coach should be able to get more out of the players he has. It's all very excusing for Bill to say that there's not much more that Berube can do and that it's 'on the players'. However, this ignores his previous statement that they are a better team on paper and even a better team during some of the games he mentioned last season and this season. 

Does that NOT point to a coach who is mismanaging his players and unable to get the even mediocre performances from most of them!? If that doesn't spell it out, I really don't know what can. Berube is a problem along with everything else. 

I don't know if firing Berube right now is even worth it, but I'm not gonna ignore that Berube is failing ALONG with his players right now. 

Archived