Hextall rips Flyers after loss

murraycraven

Hextall had every right to rip these overpaid bums. Mason and Voracek are the only ones making these games slightly competitive. However, I'll say this, the difference between him and I is some of the concept of rushing the young players.  These veterans are a little too comfortable.If they aren't playing the way they should, he and Berube need to make them healthy scratches and let someone else play from the AHL if necessary.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It dosen't matter who the players are...it is the same M.O. over and over for this club year in and year out.  For whatever reason they take whole games off and skate with little or no heart. Is it the culture? Is it the typle of players they draft / sign to this team? Is it coaching (or lack of)? Management? Both? All the above?

We have all gone down this very same road last  year, the year before that and the year before that.........

Jeezus it is like a broken record and groundhog day for this team every year.

Hindsight being 20/20...I had no idea Bumbberger would be this bad.  Yeah maybe in hindsight moving Hartnell was the wrong move, but Christ somebody step and and lead this team.  I for one am getting pretty pisssed off seeing this same crap year after year.

Agree...this team needs EXPERIENCED LEADERSHIP!

This team is always so reactionarry and knee jerking...hence the firing of Lavy last year.

Truthfully if not Berube...who is out there????

Nothing good happens when that stuff gets aired to the general public.

from what it reads... it sounds like it was behind close doors.   Apparently, Hexy was yelling pretty loud and then threw something on his way out...  This was not aired to public per say more than the reporters hearing him read the guys the riot act.

It dosen't matter who the players are...it is the same M.O. over and over for this club year in and year out.  For whatever reason they take whole games off and skate with little or no heart. Is it the culture? Is it the typle of players they draft? Is it coaching (or lack of)? Management? Both? All the above?

We have all gone down this very same road last  year, the year before that and the year before that.........

Jeezus it is like a broken record and groundhog day for this team every year.

Hindsight being 20/20...I had no idea Bumbberger would be this bad.  Yeah maybe in hindsight moving Hartnell was the wrong move, but Christ somebody step and and lead this team.  I for one am getting pretty pisssed off seeing this same crap year after year.

Agree...this team needs EXPERIENCED LEADERSHIP!

This team is always so reactionarry and knee jerking...hence the firing of Lavy last year.

Truthfully if not Berube...who is out there????

DING DING DING!!!!  This is a winner!

The Flyers lost every foot race and nearly every battle... I quit watching with about 8:00 left in the second because they looked like ****.

They have not looked that bad IMO this year.

Easily the worst performance i've seen from them since they slept walked through Florida.

Infuriating that it came against the stinkin' Rangers.

I'm glad Hextall lit them up.  I hope Chief makes them skate until they hate it,  I will give a nod to the Rangers seeming to have our number, however they've been a hot mess this year, we had a crack at their back up goaltender and put that effort out there. 

Umberger , VLC I don't know what to do there, they don't have enough speed to compete in the game today, their size is not used effectively,  any momentum gained by any other lines grinds to a halt the moment they hit the ice.

I don't know how anyone would coach well with a whole lines worth of pooh-kah in the forward rotation.  Can you not play them ?  That's what I'd want to do.

I saw Berube doing the "skate harder" thing. At least it didn't look like there was any sort of real strategy being communicated and the team certainly didn't play like it had one.

I am wondering if/afraid that we are seeing a "Barber II" situation where the coach simply isn't giving the team the direction it needs.

great post rad...

rux mentioned this last night in the game chat - it is certainly starting to look like another Barber for sure.   I can watch the post game interview anymore b/c of Berube... I cant take it.  It is the same basic **** every interview.

It dosen't matter who the players are...it is the same M.O. over and over for this club year in and year out.  For whatever reason they take whole games off and skate with little or no heart. Is it the culture? Is it the typle of players they draft / sign to this team? Is it coaching (or lack of)? Management? Both? All the above?

Jeezus it is like a broken record and groundhog day for this team every ye

Yeah, this...over and over and over.  Well said, Doc.  

If they aren't playing the way they should, he and Berube need to make them healthy scratches and let someone else play from the AHL if necessary.

This is kinda what I'm looking at - what is "play the way they should"?

What aren't they doing that they're being coached to do?

And if they aren't doing what they are being coached to do then why isn't the coach holding them accountable for it?

from what it reads... it sounds like it was behind close doors.   Apparently, Hexy was yelling pretty loud and then threw something on his way out...  This was not aired to public per say more than the reporters hearing him read the guys the riot act.

It was behind closed doors (that was Gaz's quote you pulled). My point was it doesn't seem to matter where it happens...

This team is a point behind Florida and Florida has a game in hand on them!

Sunday night the Wings laid an absolute egg against the Canadiens, playing a listless game and losing 4-1. After, and all the next day, Babcock ripped the team loudly ina closed door meeting and in the press, stopping barely short of calling out individual players. Tuesday, the Wings played a near perfect game, even without Datsyuk and defeated the Jackets at Nationwide 5-0.

I am using this as an example of a team being called out for indifferent play, Good for Hextall for doing this, I give him all the props in the world fro trying to fire up the club. I would hate to be the Flyers next couple of opponents. If they have any heart at all and pride in their job, aftera ripping by the GM they should be a different club. Too much talent not to at least be in about every game.

The Flyers lost every foot race and nearly every battle... I quit watching with about 8:00 left in the second because they looked like ****.

They have not looked that bad IMO this year.

Easily the worst performance i've seen from them since they slept walked through Florida.

Infuriating that it came against the stinkin' Rangers.

I'm glad Hextall lit them up.  I hope Chief makes them skate until they hate it,  I will give a nod to the Rangers seeming to have our number, however they've been a hot mess this year, we had a crack at their back up goaltender and put that effort out there. 

Umberger , VLC I don't know what to do there, they don't have enough speed to compete in the game today, their size is not used effectively,  any momentum gained by any other lines grinds to a halt the moment they hit the ice.

I don't know how anyone would coach well with a whole lines worth of pooh-kah in the forward rotation.  Can you not play them ?  That's what I'd want to do.

This ^^^^^ !  We always bring up VLC and Crapburger.  We all knew these 2 players were going to cause this team issues this year...but did anyone really forsee how bad it really was going to happen.  Two absolutely horrid, wretched contracts holding this team hostgage.    I'm all for Hexy lighting them up....but as a co-worke astutely put it....to have your GM light them up this early in the season, this will only work for so long. 

I don't care how you do it, but VLC and Crapberger need to be jettisoned quickly. (yes I realize, might be difficult do to cap situation)

rux mentioned this last night in the game chat - it is certainly starting to look like another Barber for sure. I can watch the post game interview anymore b/c of Berube... I cant take it. It is the same basic **** every interview.

The major difference is that this team is a young team that needs that sort of direction, it's not a team laden with experienced vets who are deciding to quit on their coach.

I honestly don't think this team knows what it is supposed to do. And I'm not sure the coach knows, either.

great post rad...

rux mentioned this last night in the game chat - it is certainly starting to look like another Barber for sure.   I can watch the post game interview anymore b/c of Berube... I cant take it.  It is the same basic **** every interview.

Simple question...is the beginning of the team tuning out and quitting on Berube....are we seeing the beginning stages of this once again?

5 day layoff should not = the performance we saw last night (unless you are the Pens :ph34r: )

The major difference is that this team is a young team that needs that sort of direction, it's not a team laden with experienced vets who are deciding to quit on their coach.

I honestly don't think this team knows what it is supposed to do. And I'm not sure the coach knows, either.

I really agree...

I hate to ask the question b/c I KNOW people are going to **** all over me for even asking the question but is Giroux at a loss as a Captain?  

Sunday night the Wings laid an absolute egg against the Canadiens, playing a listless game and losing 4-1. After, and all the next day, Babcock ripped the team loudly ina closed door meeting and in the press, stopping barely short of calling out individual players. Tuesday, the Wings played a near perfect game, even without Datsyuk and defeated the Jackets at Nationwide 5-0.

I am using this as an example of a team being called out for indifferent play, Good for Hextall for doing this, I give him all the props in the world fro trying to fire up the club. I would hate to be the Flyers next couple of opponents. If they have any heart at all and pride in their job, aftera ripping by the GM they should be a different club. Too much talent not to at least be in about every game.

appreciate your support and  input yave.  Would agree if this was an isolated incidence here and there.  However, as has been mentioned above, this team is notorious for doing this several times a year, year in and year out.  this is what has many of us at our boiling point.

Simple question...is the beginning of the team tuning out and quitting on Berube....are we seeing the beginning stages of this once again?

5 day layoff should not = the performance we saw last night (unless you are the Pens :ph34r: )

I'm still wondering what the team is supposed to have "tuned in" on.

I really agree...

I hate to ask the question b/c I KNOW people are going to **** all over me for even asking the question but is Giroux at a loss as a Captain?  

You're thinking maybe giving a guy the C who's never worn it at any level previously in his career might have been a rushed decision?

You just might be onto something there.

I would have rather "let G be G" in a Forsberg/Sakic relationship where G is the Forsberg.

That, of course, assumes a Sakic-type, which IMO is what they where hoping to get from Pronger for the past three years.

And it is all wudder under da bridge.

The team put down a pretty big bet on Pronger and lost big.

I really agree...

At a loss ? maybe.

people grow, i think his leadership is a work in progress, it might be tough to walk the line between a buddy you play hockey with and the extension of the coaching staff.  I know he would benefit from a veteran presence ala Bill Guerin, who was still capable on the ice when he helped the Pens.

Was VLC supposed to be that guy ? i'm sure he has good qualities as a leader but he can no longer put out on the ice.  

The Flyers have not been hard to play against the last couple of outings .  who sets that tone ?  

I know the season is long but effort like last night causes me concern.

I hope to God they buy him out at the end of the season, because cap space three years from now just isn't cutting it.

They can get $3M rightaway with an Umburglar buyout.

Make it so.

Nothing good's happening with them doing it "in private" either...

I don't follow all that off-the-ice stuff. That's why I come here. Smart guys like you do it for me. What exactly are the rules about buying someone out? I agree they should do it with Umberger (he looks like he is 70), but if it's an option why haven't they done it with someone like say VLC yet?

Your comment about Berube bothers me for the same reasons the firing of Barber and Stevens bothered me. Even if the coach in question is not a great coach, when was the last time firing said coach actually did anything? What's it get us? Aa hot streak at the beginning of the next coach's time here?

appreciate your support and  input yave.  Would agree if this was an isolated incidence here and there.  However, as has been mentioned above, this team is notorious for doing this several times a year, year in and year out.  this is what has many of us at our boiling point.

Nobody wants to be shamed or embarrassed or called out by their boss, I don't care if you are a pro athlete or flipping burgers. I agree, I remember watching the Flyers lay an egg against the Capitals last year in the Emery/Holtby fight game, but at least in that game Downie fought (badly) and if memory serves even Vinnie got in a scrape. Last night, on rivalry night the current version simply played a lethargic game against a team that they need to beat.

Hextall was this kind of player, a unique, fun goalie who took no gruff in his crease or anywhere else. It is good to see him place his stamp upon the club with a bit of a tirade. I hope it helps your boys turn it around.

I'm still wondering what the team is supposed to have "tuned in" on.

You're thinking maybe giving a guy the C who's never worn it at any level previously in his career might have been a rushed decision?

You just might be onto something there.

I would have rather "let G be G" in a Forsberg/Sakic relationship where G is the Forsberg.

That, of course, assumes a Sakic-type, which IMO is what they where hoping to get from Pronger for the past three years.

And it is all wudder under da bridge.

The team put down a pretty big bet on Pronger and lost big.

At best it is a very interesting perspective.....but correct me if I'm wrong..they rushed Lindros too....

there you have it.

Yup....alot issues this team faces from this very trade.  No one forsaw Pronger getting hurt the way he did....such a shame and the Flyers had not recovery plan in place.....

Even if the coach in question is not a great coach, when was the last time firing said coach actually did anything? What's it get us? Aa hot streak at the beginning of the next coach's time here?

you know that is a very good question... just wich I could give an answer.   

I don't follow all that off-the-ice stuff. That's why I come here. Smart guys like you do it for me. What exactly are the rules about buying someone out? I agree they should do it with Umberger (he looks like he is 70),

R.J. Umberger buyout from CapGeek.com - cap hit

• 2015-16: $1,600,000
  • 2016-17: $1,600,000
  • 2017-18: $1,500,000
  • 2018-19: $1,500,000

but if it's an option why haven't they done it with someone like say VLC yet?

Vincent Lecavalier buyout from CapGeek.com - cap hit

• 2015-16: $2,888,889
  • 2016-17: $2,888,889
  • 2017-18: $2,388,889
  • 2018-19: $888,889
  • 2019-20: $888,889
  • 2020-21: $888,889

They get out from under Umburglar for $1.6M, "saving" $3M right off the top.

VLC "saves" them just $1.7M.

I'm not saying it won't happen - $4.7M between the two of them could garner a legit 20/50 player.

Your comment about Berube bothers me for the same reasons the firing of Barber and Stevens bothered me. Even if the coach in question is not a great coach, when was the last time firing said coach actually did anything? What's it get us? Aa hot streak at the beginning of the next coach's time here?

Which comment? Because I haven't advocated Berube's firing, I'm just asking what the heck it is that he's trying to have them do out there.

Answer that, and we can get on to whether or not that's a reasonable approach.

FWIW, the Flyers got to the Conference Final two seasons after firing Barber and went further in the playoffs than they had under Barber. And it was largely the same base of a team that they had under Barber.

Then the lockout and the wheels came off again.

Keep in mind that I'm a "Barber apologist" who does think that the 01-02 team absolutely quit on him. That Ottawa series is one of the darkest moments in Flyer history IMO.

Archived