The "sound" of a big hit

nossagog

http://youtu.be/l-kFmvoxfws

From the Rangers/Penguins last night,  Geno Malkin plants a hugh hit into Girardi's chest.   Turn up the volume and "listen" to the sound from the hit.

Good news is that Girardi cam back later in the game. I'm surprised he did, it looked like his head poped the ice on the way down.  You can see Giradi favoring his shoulder as they're trying to get him up.

@nossagog  I tell ya, I used every single attack point I could muster to find something, anything wrong with that hit....I came away with nothing. If anything, the only thing that could be remotely called was charging, but in retrospect, I don't think he took way to many steps there. The puck was certainly in and around Girardi's feet when the impact occurred, and the impact appeared to be all chest...no head.

Geez, you just don't see Malkin throw this kind of crushing hit, although his frame and skating indicate he could be doing that all the time. I'm sure Pens fans would want him more involved like he was in this game.

On a personal note, seeing Malkin skate around in those yellow and black uni's .....it just brings back a flood of bad memories. It's amazing how much Malkin skates and plays like a younger Jagr. If Malkin ever grew a mullet, you'd have a twin....LOL!

On a personal note, seeing Malkin skate around in those yellow and black uni's .....it just brings back a flood of bad memories. It's amazing how much Malkin skates and plays like a younger Jagr. If Malkin ever grew a mullet, you'd have a twin....LOL!

If he only had Jagr's training dedication, he'd be an even bigger monster.  Jagr has legs like tree trunks from running aisles.  Not sure if he still does it at his age.

If he only had Jagr's training dedication, he'd be an even bigger monster.  Jagr has legs like tree trunks from running aisles.  Not sure if he still does it at his age.

Interesting you should word it like that. I've always had this feeling that Malkin hates to work out, that he just sneaks by on his immense talent. I get the feeling he could challenge Sid for the scoring title should he ever get a fire lit under his ass!!

Just watched the video, I know I'm in the minority but I would like to see that called charging. There is nothing in the rule book about "number of strides". The rule book cites "distance travelled" and Malkin came from a ways away. The contact itself was absolutely clean, I agree there. But this is a dangerous hit. The league typically doesn't call this kind of thing but I think they should.

And before Pens fans get all upset, I am on record as hating the Rangers more than any other team. By far.  :ph34r:

Just watched the video, I know I'm in the minority but I would like to see that called charging. There is nothing in the rule book about "number of strides". The rule book cites "distance travelled" and Malkin came from a ways away. The contact itself was absolutely clean, I agree there. But this is a dangerous hit. The league typically doesn't call this kind of thing but I think they should.

And before Pens fans get all upset, I am on record as hating the Rangers more than any other team. By far.  :ph34r:

I would not have complained if a penalty was called on the play.  I as quite happy that he kept his arms, elbows and shoulders low.   Any contact to the head there would have been devastating. I think the fact that he stayed low throughout is why I believe he was not penalized.

I hate Malkenstien

however, that was a tremendous hit,  Girardi got his head whipped around pretty good on it too, the initial contact there's some whiplash then his head hits the ice then he gets kicked by his own man...that's a lot of contact on the bean.

I don't like that Malkin "had to answer" for that either, that wasn't dirty, violent yes, dirty no..., does every player nowadays just assume that a big hit is dirty ?  It's bullshit quite frankly that if you're able to pop a guy cleanly you need to drop your mitts .  

i know 71 has a reputation for playing the mean "russian-high-elbows-wicked-stick "game but the melee that followed that hit was crap.

It has always been a contact sport, sometimes big hits like that happen.

I don't like that Malkin "had to answer" for that either, that wasn't dirty, violent yes, dirty no..., does every player nowadays just assume that a big hit is dirty ?  It's bullshit quite frankly that if you're able to pop a guy cleanly you need to drop your mitts .  

This.  I can understand the Rangers being upset since Girardi was pretty shaken up and - at the end of the day - they don't have the ability to go look at replay before they decide to take Malkin to task for the (legal) hit.  I can't get * too * bent out of shape over their reaction.

BUT....if you are going to call penalties for the ensuing scrum the Pens have to come away with a PP (assuming nothing else illegal happens).  Offsetting minors on Malkin and Staal shouldn't be the outcome.  Malkin should be allowed to defend himself.  Give Staal an instigator, too - or just send Staal off.  Different story if it's an illegal hit.

Archived