Paging the brightest mind in hockey

Samifan

I think you're right Podes. Between the standing around, gliding into the zone on the [supposed] forecheck, watching linemates get outnumbered...just not enough puck support. 

It's even affecting the draws. Is any Flyer over .500? The team has to be under .500, which is bad enough but it really takes a toll when so many are in your own zone. It's hard to pick up any momentum when you spend so much time defending. Those nights wear a team out and the Flyers have let it happen in all 3 games (for the most part).

They've got to be spooked by the Rangers or something. The games should be a lot more even than they've been. The Flyers better find their game quick. G4 is pretty much do or die.

I know that players are taught to take things one game at a time, and coaches use that a lot to keep them focused on the immediate task at hand.

So, on Friday, that would be Game 4. 

But does anyone else get the feeling that Game 4 is a must-win for the Flyers? Win that game, and you've got some confidence back, an even series, and take it from there. Lose that game, and there's no way in my mind that they'll beat this Rangers team 3 straight times.

To me, the Flyers season hinges on Game 4.

Yes, absolutely is a 'must win'. When you consider their problems at MSG, recently, the last thing they can afford to do is to go back up there down 3-1. It just seems like it might be rollover time at that point. Tbh, I think they broke me about half way through the 3rd period last night. I just came to the conclusion that the Rangers have already taken hold of this series and it's theirs to lose. I mean, beyond the obvious series score... they've taken the psychological lead by beating us up and down the ice. G has 2 shots against them in what? 6 games? that is the definition of demoralizing. 

I think you're right Podes. Between the standing around, gliding into the zone on the [supposed] forecheck, watching linemates get outnumbered...just not enough puck support. 

It's even affecting the draws. Is any Flyer over .500? The team has to be under .500, which is bad enough but it really takes a toll when so many are in your own zone. It's hard to pick up any momentum when you spend so much time defending. Those nights wear a team out and the Flyers have let it happen in all 3 games (for the most part).

They've got to be spooked by the Rangers or something. The games should be a lot more even than they've been. The Flyers better find their game quick. G4 is pretty much do or die.

G 33-21

VLC 10-15

Hall 17-12

Schenn 6-9

Couturier 20-32

Read (0-1, Raffl 1-1)

87-91

just under .500 - a lot of it being Couturier

Reading all of your posts the age old debate rages on...  if they're trying for the perfect play, they're not shooting enough.  If they're shooting a lot but getting a lot blocked as well, they're not picking their spots enough. 

Some day, a long time from now, someone will know exactly what the perfect formula is for quantity vs. quality.  Until then, it seems to change based on whether you're winning or not.   LOL  

nah there's no formula. The eye test tells the tale, win or lose. Last night most of the Flyers' shots had a near-zero chance of going in because Lundqvist wasn't obstructed at all, or only slightly. Then there were the blocked shots - 28! of them, which is probably some kind of record.

The Rags are a good shot-blocking team but no team racks up 28 blocked shots unless the shooters help. The Flyers' shooters helped...a lot.

...the age old debate rages on...

It does: is it better to tank for a decade, get the 1st overall pick several years in a row, and build a Cup winner?

Or, is it better to stay competitive, trade all your 2nd round picks as well as some prospects that turn into stars years later in another city, but hopefully make a run and win a Cup?

:ph34r:

It does: is it better to tank for a decade, get the 1st overall pick several years in a row, and build a Cup winner?

Or, is it better to stay competitive, trade all your 2nd round picks as well as some prospects that turn into stars years later in another city, but hopefully make a run and win a Cup?

:ph34r:

38 years later the answer is clearly the former. ;)

Edited by Polaris922

@canoli

Agreed: our puck support on faceoffs has been crap for ages.

I think it's been better this year. I don't know the numbers I *think* this has been one of the Flyers better years in the FO circle.

But in this series it's been pretty awful. I don't see them lose it clean very often - the losses seem to be because they get out-worked once the puck drops.

I think it's been better this year. I don't know the numbers I *think* this has been one of the Flyers better years in the FO circle.

But in this series it's been pretty awful. I don't see them lose it clean very often - the losses seem to be because they get out-worked once the puck drops.

Yeah agreed. I know this: I'm nervous as hell on every defensive zone face-off we have regardless of who is taking it. And as a Flyer fan who grew up watching Clarkie and others dominate the dot (not to mention a not bad center and long snapper myself), it's still hard on the soul. In short, it drives me to drink (and then the sheep get involved etc). It's all ugly.