Paging the brightest mind in hockey

Samifan

That's how Homer described Chief back in October and he has done a great job. Well here's hoping the lightbulb is not burned out. I know the players play the game but a Berube has to come up with a fix for the Peco PP and number of blocked shots.

That's how Homer described Chief back in October and he has done a great job. Well here's hoping the lightbulb is not burned out. I know the players play the game but a Berube has to come up with a fix for the Peco PP and number of blocked shots.

Well i don't think he has a answer because this has plagued them a few weeks before he end of the regular season...and he continued to till no end.

A lot of it is confidence.......after that i really don't know what would fix it.

Mason would help reduce the goals against i think. But they need scoring.

• Like 1

I'm going to be harping on the need for motion on the power play until I'm blue in the face.

Five guys standing around playing keep away is not going to score against this Rangers squad.

They need to get their feet moving and get the Rangers moving out of position or they're just going to keep adding to the shot blocking total.

I'm going to be harping on the need for motion on the power play until I'm blue in the face.

Five guys standing around playing keep away is not going to score against this Rangers squad.

They need to get their feet moving and get the Rangers moving out of position or they're just going to keep adding to the shot blocking total.

I am right there with you rad.. Frustrating to see so many blocked shots while the Flyers are not keep moving. Making it easy for the rags

Oh, I thought this thread was addressed to me.   Never mind.

I didn't see the game, but based on recent history I would say rad is on target about the power play.   Did the team continue to take a lot of unnecessary penalties?  I saw most of the first period and saw quite a few Ranger power plays.  That needs to stop.

That's all I  got for last night's game.   This could be a quick ugly series if the Flyers cannot generate offense and spend so much time in the box (the latter cannot help the former).

• Like 1

I am right there with you rad.. Frustrating to see so many blocked shots while the Flyers are not keep moving. Making it easy for the rags

Exactly. Not moving the puck or their feet in 5 on 5 situations either. They need to get Lundquivst moving side to side. The lone goal last night was a perfect example.

• Like 1

It's the same story. Trouble entering the Rangers zone, little to no puck movement, and inability to defend Rangers zone entry. Pick any 5 minute segment, and you'll see that pattern over and over. 

The Flyers come up the ice, and either dump it (which ends the play) or lose the puck trying to carry it in. Rangers go the other way, and have no resistance at our blueline. They get off a shot, or they dump and retrieve.

Unless there's a significant change in how the Flyers are approaching this, they are one and done.

• Like 1

It's the same story. Trouble entering the Rangers zone, little to no puck movement, and inability to defend Rangers zone entry. Pick any 5 minute segment, and you'll see that pattern over and over.

Brel, I was saying this same exact thing to my son last night watching the game.  It is like watching a rerun over and over throughout the game.   What I think is troubling, aside from the puck movement issues, is we have no way of entering the zone - none, zero, zilch.   If they try the slingshot breakin one more time I might throw a beer bottle through my TV - LOL!

• Like 1

The Rangers may be favored to win but this series shouldn't look so lopsided the way it does now...possession time, FO wins/losses, SOG and finally, goals-for/goals-against. Even when we do out-shoot them it doesn't matter - or out-hit them. The shots hardly challenge Lundqvist and the hits don't translate into attack time.

The Rangers are quicker to the puck, stronger on the puck and they stay focused on putting it on net. They don't waste shifts. The Flyers play as if they have nothing but time. Last night the Flyers lost that game in the first 10 minutes. But we've seen this movie before. Sometimes it looks the Flyers want to ease into the game and the opposition takes advantage.

The Rangers may be favored to win but this series shouldn't look so lopsided the way it does now...possession time, FO wins/losses, SOG and finally, goals-for/goals-against. Even when we do out-shoot them it doesn't matter - or out-hit them. The shots hardly challenge Lundqvist and the hits don't translate into attack time.

The Rangers are quicker to the puck, stronger on the puck and they stay focused on putting it on net. They don't waste shifts. The Flyers play as if they have nothing but time. Last night the Flyers lost that game in the first 10 minutes. But we've seen this movie before. Sometimes it looks the Flyers want to ease into the game and the opposition takes advantage.

No arguments here canoli and pretty much agree w/ everything you say.   Last night reminded me of the 1st game where they literally were outplayed, outhustled, outclassed - whatever you want to call it.  Game one I thought they were hanging on for dear life until Akeson's penalty.   There is no presense in front of the net to make Lundy uncomfortable.   Right now it is just too easy for the Rangers...

Hopefully they can figure this out for game 4 b/c this could be the series.

Last night reminded me of the 1st game where they literally were outplayed, outhustled, outclassed - whatever you want to call it.

Yep me too...flashbacks of G1. Especially the first 10 minutes. The Flyers (literally) lost that game in the first 10 mins. The Rags' 2nd goal was the GWer. How the hell does that happen? First home PO game in 2 years and we're FLAT??? are you fkn kidding me?

maybe "flat" isn't accurate, I don't know. But it seems pretty close. I watched every line commit the same exact mistake, time and time again. The mistake? Standing around watching their linemate work the puck all alone against 2 Rags. Gliding into the zone and not even pretending to 4check....WTF is that?

• Like 1

Yep me too...flashbacks of G1. Especially the first 10 minutes. The Flyers (literally) lost that game in the first 10 mins. The Rags' 2nd goal was the GWer. How the hell does that happen? First home PO game in 2 years and we're FLAT??? are you fkn kidding me?

maybe "flat" isn't accurate, I don't know. But it seems pretty close. I watched every line commit the same exact mistake, time and time again. The mistake? Standing around watching their linemate work the puck all alone against 2 Rags. Gliding into the zone and not even pretending to 4check....WTF is that?

You mention the forecheck and to me that is where it has to start.   That is how they win games but it has not been there.   It is frustrating b/c I feel like every time this offense sputters everyone is waiting around for G to make a play.  having scoring depth is great but the fact is this offense just goes silent for stretches.  I was just looking and I think we are 5-10 in the lsat 15 games.  

Maybe they peaked to early this year but something needs to be changed...

You mention the forecheck and to me that is where it has to start.

Yes it does....but G needs some help from his supporting cast....he forwards...they have 3 scores in 3 games by forwards....and one was a empty netter so it's not good.

The Flyers may have had 32 shots on goal but they also got blocked on 28 attempts -- including five in a single power play in the second period -- and missed the net on 20 other attempts. Their only win they actually got out shot by the Ranjerks....so don't panic look for the better shots.

​This is what they need to work on it's about quality not quantity....they turn this round they have a shot.

But if they can just get a goal from G it may open the flood gates....however some better goaltending would go a long ways!!!! 

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

'ease into the game' might be an understatement. They seemed to have eased into the series... didn't really start playing until about midway through 2nd period of gm2. That has to be the most frustrating hallmark of this team.... Late starts. 

To me it's about puck support. There are times when we've turned the puck over in their end, or are close to doing so, and what is needed is a teammate who is right there in support.

Too often they are not. Noticed this several times last night, which is frustrating because I didn't think our entries and original forecheck were as bad as some are saying in this thread. I think it's just support.

To me it's about puck support. There are times when we've turned the puck over in their end, or are close to doing so, and what is needed is a teammate who is right there in support.

Too often they are not. Noticed this several times last night, which is frustrating because I didn't think our entries and original forecheck were as bad as some are saying in this thread. I think it's just support.

This has been a problem most of the year. They tend to play too fancy and G is a prime offender in that. They give up too many shot opportunities looking for that perfect shot that's never there. Fancy play syndrome has been a big problem. 

• Like 1

definitely true... watching the games I feel like the Rangers are out-numbering the Flyers nearly every possession.

...watching the games I feel like the Rangers are out-numbering the Flyers nearly every possession.

Yes. A sign of great puck support: they always seem to have 4 guys on the puck and 7 guys on the ice. It's a beautiful thing when you see it, just hope it's your team and not the opposition. Still, I'm hopeful Mason can start on Friday and we come out like we did last night, get a bounce or two, stay out of the box...

Ok, I'm dreaming on the last one...

@murraycraven

No kidding.

I could live with a parade to the penalty box back in the days of the Bullies because:

A. Clarke won almost every face-off.

B. The player on the receiving end of the infraction was on their way to the hospital, unlikely to return. 

• Like 1

I know that players are taught to take things one game at a time, and coaches use that a lot to keep them focused on the immediate task at hand.

So, on Friday, that would be Game 4. 

But does anyone else get the feeling that Game 4 is a must-win for the Flyers? Win that game, and you've got some confidence back, an even series, and take it from there. Lose that game, and there's no way in my mind that they'll beat this Rangers team 3 straight times.

To me, the Flyers season hinges on Game 4.

• Like 1