Shooooot! The Fans ruining the PP at Home

Last post for a while so go Flyers and take care boys!  Hoping to come back after a series win against the Rags...

I heard G's quote on my drive home yesterday and laughed b/c apparently the fans are ruining the Power Play.  While I think the "SHOOOOOT" gets to be a bit overboard from the Fans I think the Flyers, when not running a good PP, tend to over-pass and look to make the PP a bit too perfect.

Please note:  this is not intended to incite hatred for the Players or cause a disruption - simply thought the qoutes were funny in a sad sort of way:

Two games into their playoff series with the New York Rangers, the Flyers find themselves sitting atop the NHL with the No. 1 power play. They've scored on two of their four man advantages.

“Two goals? 50 percent? That’s not bad,” offered Jakub Voracek. “That means if we get eight shots next game, we’re going to get four goals.”

The success hasn't come as a surprise, because the first two playoff games were at Madison Square Garden – on the road.

For all but 2 ½ months this season, the Flyers had the top road power play in the NHL and finished No. 1, scoring 34 goals on 135 chances (25.2 percent).

Overall, they were eighth in power play efficiency at 19.7 percent.

Their biggest struggles have been at Wells Fargo Center, not just this season but even last, as well. For whatever reason, the Flyers are brutal with the man advantage at home, checking in at 15.1 percent, among the five worst teams in the league.

Imagine what kind of power play the Flyers would have if they could just add another five percent of efficiency playing at home. Imagine what the difference might be in a long playoff series.

“It’s a little harder when 18,000 people yell, ‘shoot,’ after 20 seconds on the power play,” Voracek said, amid laughter from the media.

“No, just kidding. I don’t know. I don’t think we were moving the puck badly. Just sometimes you aren’t so good on the power play and the puck doesn’t go in like on the road.”

Flyers coach Craig Berube and power play boss Joey Mullen would like to see things even out a bit more beginning Tuesday night, when Game 3 unfolds in South Philly. The series is tied, 1-1.

Team captain Claude Giroux has said this many times about the power play, and he’s dead on: “The fans get on us pretty hard at home.”

That’s because the Flyers try to get too perfect, looking for the best shot or best lane for a pass instead of putting pucks on net and taking chances on rebounds like they do on the road -- when no one is yelling at them.

“We have to be patient,” Giroux said. “We forget to stick with what we do. We’re a patient power play and we wait for opportunities. We can’t rush it. We need to go back and play our power play.”

The top unit with Giroux, Voracek, Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds and Kimmo Timonen doesn’t change very often, if at all. Same personnel, different results.

“Our unit [has] played together two-and-a-half to three years,” Voracek said. “We all know what we've got do to be successful. Just sometimes on the ice, you see things differently than from upstairs. Sometimes you see the extra lane.”

Or make the unnecessary extra pass -- that triggers fans to boo at home -- instead of a taking a shot.

Berube himself has been quizzed many times why there is such a disparity between the power play on the road and in Philadelphia.

The simple answer, which has across-the-board significance to many NHL clubs, is that teams tend to perform for the home fans and feel a need to entertain. The urge to be your best is greater on home ice.

“It comes down to patience, at times,” Berube said. “When you are at home, there is more pressure to perform with fans and all. We've got to make sure we are being simple first of all and not forcing things.”

The Flyers gave up a league-high 11 shorthanded goals this season -- five on home ice.

“You've got some fast penalty killers who can go the other way,” Berube said. “We've got to be smart and shoot the hockey puck and get it through.”

Which the Flyers did in Game 2 after failing in Game 1.

“We can't allow [Dan] Girardi, [Ryan] McDonagh, [Marc] Staal to constantly block shots,” Berube said. “We need to do a better job of just getting it through. Doesn't have to be a real hard shot, just get it through on net with rebounds. That's important.”

And on home ice, it might be even more important by the series’ end.

Edited by murraycraven

You get the same thing here. $33 million in salaries on the power play unit but the schmuck who spent $80 to watch from the high seats knows better when to shoot... Drives me nuts!

Polaris, I will say that it makes me laugh sometimes and drives me nuts other times.   I think it happens in most rinks - LOL!

You get the same thing here. $33 million in salaries on the power play unit but the schmuck who spent $80 to watch from the high seats knows better when to shoot... Drives me nuts!

What can I say....we are the eyes in the sky! :ph34r:

Those higher seats do give a completely different perspective of the ice as compared to being on ice level though, so there is some merit to the "shoooot" at times.  $33 million in salaries or not, those guys are human and they don't always make the right decision.  There are some real chuckleheads in the stands though, some of whom will yell shoot as soon as any Flyer has the puck in the offensive zone, no matter what the situation is!  It can be comical!

same thing everywhere. I've been to lots of games in Philly, at MSG and at Nassau and it's the same exact thing. But I agree when the Flyers futz around with the puck and look for the perfect setup it just ends up biting them in the butt. Hard to score if you don't shoot! :)

Team captain Claude Giroux has said this many times about the power play, and he’s dead on: “The fans get on us pretty hard at home.”

What do they want us to do when they screw up the PP, cheer?  Honestly we usually only get on them when they do stupid stuff like pass back to the point errantly and end up clearing the puck for the PKers and then get trapped behind their own net for :30 PP.  We cheer excellent effort and great shifts even when they dont score.  We boo obvious frustrating poor play. 

Yes of course there are people who yell "Shoot!" every time the puck goes back to the point and there are no open shooting lanes but other times I see it happening because they have an open lane, then they end up playing with the puck looking to make the perfect play and then the lane closes up and they have some guy all over them who forces them to make a bad pass and the puck gets cleared.

I feel the fans are trying to say that they would rather see a one timer (which G has been doing lately) from an open man rather than an attempted / ill fated tic tac toe pass for a backdoor tap in.

I could be off but that is the feeling I get from the other fanswhen I am in attendance.

I think that this opens the door to another, related observation. Early on 60s' and 70s', I lived in Philadelphia and had season tickets. We (the fans) were not as sophisticated as todays' fans, but there was not a lot of booing the Flyers players or team.We were thrilled that we had a team that might win more games than they lost. I have seen a couple games recently at WFC. It's a very different experience. The fans seemed more self-centered. Their expectations were much higher. Generally,the fans didn't return to their seats until after the period the started. They were also much more sophisticated than during the 60s and 70s. They know their hockey. Along with the cheers for good plays there were an equal number, or, more groans and boos for the poor plays. My impression was that the general response of fans was highly critical, both good and bad. This has to put an incredible amount of pressure on the players.

In today's game, when even star players are routinely blocking lanes, prepared to block shots, it's all about getting pucks through. The days of putting your head down and blasting it, are long gone (Brayden Coburn will never be on the PP).

But what I've noticed is that players still too often look for the perfect one-timer, hoping it will find a lane. Often it does not, of course, since shot-blocking has become an art. But there are times when a point man is passing back and forth trying to get the opposing killer out of the lane and does so, but still takes that extra second to wind up for a slapshot or look for a pass.

That's when I want them to shoot, it doesn't have to be hard. In short, simply take what is given, like the way a quarterback reads a Defense and reacts [insert awkward long snapper football analogy here]

same thing everywhere. I've been to lots of games in Philly, at MSG and at Nassau and it's the same exact thing. But I agree when the Flyers futz around with the puck and look for the perfect setup it just ends up biting them in the butt. Hard to score if you don't shoot! :)

100% of shots not taken don't go in. Or something. :D

My impression was that the general response of fans was highly critical, both good and bad. This has to put an incredible amount of pressure on the players.

I see, appreciate and understand what you are saying. Philly is a tough place to play, yes. No denying that. But if you win here, as the saying goes, you will walk together forever.

If they want to go out for needlepoint or something less stressful than being paid millions of dollars as a professional athlete they have that option.

They're not out there to get punch and pie for effort, they are there to win hockey games. And they are compensated handsomely for it. That is the source of the "pressure" - that they are taking the money to play an effective game.

If they want to play in front of a bunch of people who don't know enough to be heavily emotionally (not to mention financially) involved in the game, they can always sign somewhere "easier" to play. Florida comes to mind. Dallas (who can't even sell out playoff games). Phoenix.

I see, appreciate and understand what you are saying. Philly is a tough place to play, yes. No denying that. But if you win here, as the saying goes, you will walk together forever.

If they want to go out for needlepoint or something less stressful than being paid millions of dollars as a professional athlete they have that option.

Things have changed. That is for sure. I still love hockey and always will, but It's become a huge money game with huge pressures on all involved. The fans pay a huge price to attend a game so I guess they are corporate partners and have every right to boo. It's just, it does not help their team. The players know when they have missed an opportunity, or made a poor play. If they don't know or care they shouldn't be there. But the booing only helps the opposing team.  Ironically the team that walks together forever came from the 70s. I don't think that Clarke, Barber, Parent, Schultz, etc,  were out their for needlepoint or something less stressful.

The booing is paradoxical. It may allow the fan to vent their angst, but I doubt that it helps the fans' team play better.

• Like 1

The booing is paradoxical. It may allow the fan to vent their angst, but I doubt that it helps the fans' team play better.

Respectfully disagree. I've seen more than a few games where the fans are 100% in support of the team, and then the team proceeds to go out and lay an egg anyway.

I've also seen Flyers teams get booed mercilessly on their way to the locker room at intermission and come out playing hard-nosed hockey that was really appreciated by the fans.

Bottom line: if someone doesn't want pressure, then professional sports probably isn't the best job for them.

Ironically the team that walks together forever came from the 70s. I don't think that Clarke, Barber, Parent, Schultz, etc, were out their for needlepoint or something less stressful.

Well, I do think that the 1980 Phillies, '83 Sixers, '85 Nova Wildcats (in addition to the Flyers 74/75 squad) are still lauded in this town for their achievements.

Likewise the '93 Phillies and '00 Sixers (neither of which won). People still also post about Primeau's run in the playoffs as captain.

People will have great memories of the Eagles when they finally accomplish something, too.

You give effort in this town, you get accolades and adoration. You play like dog meat and you get fed to the dogs.

And these dogs are paying handsomely for the privilege.

What drives me nuts is the 5-on-3 where the team is looking for the "pretty" passing / highlight play. I will yell shoot then. 

What drives me nuts is the 5-on-3 where the team is looking for the "pretty" passing / highlight play. I will yell shoot then.

The Pens over-pass a lot too looking for that perfect play. But I also think what we see to be lanes up high really aren't as a stick could easily get in the way or something similar.

hey, I stopped going to games b/c it was so expensive!  Now, I have a nice couch, a nice big screen w/ surround sound and beer that does not cost 8 bucks!

This...times 1000.  

Someone offered me lower level seats for last night.  15 rows off the ice, Center Red line.  They were $225, a piece.  I'm 99.9% sure that was face value.  

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

They were $225, a piece. I'm 99.9% sure that was face value.

that is absurd!  sorry, I love the Team and I love the game but that is just ridiculous.   Not to mention the parking and the concession prices.  I will sit on my couch comfortably sporting my old Recchi jersey and enjoy some quality beers :D

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

that is absurd!  sorry, I love the Team and I love the game but that is just ridiculous.   Not to mention the parking and the concession prices.  I will sit on my couch comfortably sporting my old Recchi jersey and enjoy some quality beers :D

I don't even really like sitting in the lower bowl...

I don't even really like sitting in the lower bowl...

Maybe I am old school but I stopped going to the games when the Spectrum ended.   I still go to an occasional game but that is pretty much it.  I hate the Wells Fargo Center and I am sorry but that place is too quiet.  Never really liked the "House Eric Built"...  as such:  couch and beers for me

Edited by murraycraven

They were $225, a piece. I'm 99.9% sure that was face value.

it's even more absurd here in NYC. Try going to anything - any game, any show, the fkn Ice Capades (probably) at the Garden and you're shelling out over $300, and that's not even on the glass. And of course that's just for reg season tickets.

Have you seen the prices for the Rags/Flyers PO games at MSG? They're over $1000 for seats on the glass. True story. But that's only the beginning. Want to just get in, sit anywhere? Fine, no problem. The Very Last Row upstairs for Sunday's G5 = $335.

it's even more absurd here in NYC. Try going to anything - any game, any show, the fkn Ice Capades (probably) at the Garden and you're shelling out over $300, and that's not even on the glass. And of course that's just for reg season tickets.

Have you seen the prices for the Rags/Flyers PO games at MSG? They're over $1000 for seats on the glass. True story. But that's only the beginning. Want to just get in, sit anywhere? Fine, no problem. The Very Last Row upstairs for Sunday's G5 = $335.

maybe I should stop complaining then! :blink:   that is sad really... The NHL wants to grow the fanbase but only to those who can afford a game and get there in Daddy's Land Rover.   Sorry, I will pass on that...

Personally I don't care what they charge for seats in the first 10, 20, 50 rows. But they want $335 to sit in the last row? That's just greed.

Some will say "that's what the market will bear" and I guess if they sell out the place that's so. But it still sucks!