I will ask the question: Game 3

Good question.

I would think lot depends on how well Mason feels and how good he looks at practice tomorrow.  At this point Mason isn't even to back up Emery.  So I'd go with Emery to start game 3 at home.

Greetings:

I would probably agree with Rux and go with Mase if healthy. But that is a big if.  Is our friend Emery rested enough? They kept mentioning this was his first back-to-back this season.  

Goal is important..But what we saw today is that if the Flyers can play a tight-checking, physical game they can win.  They won't win playing a run-and-gun with a team that is faster and more skilled.

Peace,

Howie

P.S.  Who can identify my new avatar?  Test for the old farts out there.

• Like 1

If Mason is ready, Mason starts.

This is tricky....he hasn't played in a week, It is a hard one. The can't afford to lose home ice to these clown and one mistake at home could do that....and i'd really hate for that mistake to occur before they even take the ice. All i can say is i'm glad i don't have to make that call.

Cause if it is wrong and he ain't ready still has cobwebs and all.......gulp!

No way I do this if Mason is 100%. I just think that's just horrible team management.

What player will say they are less than 100% in the playoffs? The team has adapted for Emery, against the Rangers. Emery is playing very well. It is Mason's team, I agree, but Emery is in a groove. You don't need the best goalie, you need the hot one. Good thing too, since neither is better than Lundqvist.

What player will say they are less than 100% in the playoffs? The team has adapted for Emery, against the Rangers. Emery is playing very well. It is Mason's team, I agree, but Emery is in a groove. You don't need the best goalie, you need the hot one. Good thing too, since neither is better than Lundqvist.

I'll just leave it at I 100% disagree

I knew "The Question" was this one...and it's a good one.

A guy shouldn't lose his job to injury. Mason was clearly the #1 goalie. So it's his....IF he's 100%. Good to know Emery can take over the reins if he has to.

• Like 2

From Wikipedia: "(On) June 2, Yankee manager Miller Huggins started (Lou) Gehrig in place of regular first baseman Wally Pipp. Pipp was in a slump, as were the Yankees as a team, so Huggins made several lineup changes to boost their performance, replacing Pipp, Aaron Ward, and Wally Schang.[34] Fourteen years later, Gehrig had played 2,130 consecutive games."

Maybe Mason is our Wally Pipp? ...but that would make Emery our Lou Gehrig. Hey, anything's possible.

If Emery was 2-0 with only allowing 1-2 goals and maybe a shutout in one of the first 2 games I would give stronger consideration.   The last thing the Flyers need at this point is a goalie controversy.   Mason gets the start for me if he is 100%.  Emery played well yesterday and the team got the W but I wouldn't annoint him a "hot hand".   

• Like 1

From the "It's All Good" Department:

We're debating which of the 2 goalies should start because they're both good enough to win - imagine that! Remember when these debates were focused on who would screw us the least?

• Like 4

From the "It's All Good" Department:

We're debating which of the 2 goalies should start because they're both good enough to win - imagine that! Remember when these debates were focused on who would screw us the least?

kind of nice for a change, eh canoli!

I knew "The Question" was this one...and it's a good one.

A guy shouldn't lose his job to injury. Mason was clearly the #1 goalie. So it's his....IF he's 100%. Good to know Emery can take over the reins if he has to.

Yes. I agree after thinking about this all night and re watching a part of the game i have come around on this and concluded that Mason should start.

Rangers were exploiting Emery and were having success and just got away from it so i think you have to go with Mason and chalk to win up to luck and move on. Mason in net for game #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thankful for the fill in time for Emery but it's time for Mase.

Emery has exceeded my expectations as to how great he could play. The Flyers have no chance of winning Game 2 without him being outstanding in the second and third period.  That being said, Game 3 is the most critical game of the series thus far (and maybe overall), and I think Mason should start if he is even 85 or 90%. Remember that for the last few seasons, he backed up Crawford in Chicago.  He rarely, if ever, played more than 2 games in a row.  I think it's too risky to start Ray again, though he has been EXCELLENT in these last two games.

I think the question now needs to be....what truly is the injury?  Is it whiplash or is it concussion?  I'm not sure if this was every definitively answered.  I'm concerned it is concussion because he seems to be having that effect of "good days and bad"  One day he is out on the ice in practice and feeling good, then the next day he gets out there and feels bad and they say he is out for game 2.  If it is a concussion, I would say he will not see any action in the 1st round.  Of course this is all just speculation, as I have heard NOTHING as to the true nature of the injury!

This is why embellishments must stop! Not only do they ruin the overall game, but they keep key players from playing in the playoffs! :rolleyes:  ;)  The Rags are lucky to have any players left for game 3 after those performances!   :lol: