Flyers sign Frozen Four MVP Gotisbehere

JackStraw

@radoran

I mentioned in the game thread, as great as he was offensively (and he was) he was equally as good without the puck. That is a big deal for a small player who seemed to make his name mostly on offence.

Boy has a good hockey mind and sees the ice well from what I've seen and heard.

Happy to have him aboard.

There is a funky rule where he needed to sign an ELC with the Flyers by x date in March (which did not happen), so no, he is not eligible for the NHL this year. I think it has to do with poaching (similar to juniors). NHL teams can not try and load up on "stud" NCAA players while said players are still playing for their schools. 

Is that a new rule under the new CBA?

Occam had pointed out that Kris Kreider signed April 10, 2011 and played with the Rangers in that playoffs (18 games) without playing in the regular season.

It burned a year on his ELC at the time.

Outstanding!! Was having a stress free kinda day until I saw this thread. Great to hear he signed with us. "Deep breath in and exhales" I am excited about our young d core Gusty, Morin, Ghost, Hagg, Lauridsen good stuff guys good stuff!

Is that a new rule under the new CBA?

Not sure, but I think so. The CHL has always had a good deal in place to prevent poaching. Previously, I think the NCAA was not much of a poaching ground, but has become much more so in the last few years, while sparingly so- imagine you take a goudreau off boston, a Ghost of the Dutchmen, etc. It screws everything up. 

Parks will be good for the Phantoms, but don't expect more than that. 

Hard to tell on guys with his skill set he is a defensive forward....the only knock really on him is his size but is suppose to be tough as nails...time will tell on all these guys. Just hard to project these types unlike a power forward or defenseman....so the jury is out on 95% of the Phantom prospects....really.

Not sure, but I think so. The CHL has always had a good deal in place to prevent poaching. Previously, I think the NCAA was not much of a poaching ground, but has become much more so in the last few years, while sparingly so- imagine you take a goudreau off boston, a Ghost of the Dutchmen, etc. It screws everything up. 

As much as some people don't like the idea that players finish out their seasons, or that it hinders their development, does anyone think Gostibehere would have been better off on the Phantoms this year? I think that championship game/MVP tournament he just had likely has his confidence level at about peak right now. Moments like that can only have a positve impact on a player.

As much as some people don't like the idea that players finish out their seasons, or that it hinders their development, does anyone think Gostibehere would have been better off on the Phantoms this year? I think that championship game/MVP tournament he just had likely has his confidence level at about peak right now. Moments like that can only have a positve impact on a player.

Totally agree.

On the flip side, how many people would be just happy as clams to have picked up a guy who ran out on his team for money?

Players on the Phantoms recently have been running the risk of becoming like Mason was in Columbus - dissatisfied with the game and pondering their future.

@radoran

That's on Holmgren and the trading away of a lot of draft picks. Something we all hope he's learned from...but aren't holding our breath.

Hopefully the influx of Hagg, Ghost, and Laughton, Morin  etc going forward helps improve the "farm experience".

Flyers included Gostisbehere on their playoff reserve list. Per Rob Parent yesterday, he would be elligible for the playoffs if he signed: http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/20140413/parent-gostisbehere-wisely-heading-back-to-school

Thanks for sharing that link, I hadn't read that before.  

But the first thing I thought of was...how do you include someone on a roster when they aren't even under contract?  I get what they did, and why they did it, but is there a limit to playoff rosters/reserve rosters?  If not, why just include everyone whose rights are owned by a parent club...just in case.

Just seems a tad strange to me...regardless..Ghost is signed.   :D

Thanks for sharing that link, I hadn't read that before.  

But the first thing I thought of was...how do you include someone on a roster when they aren't even under contract?  I get what they did, and why they did it, but is there a limit to playoff rosters/reserve rosters?  If not, why just include everyone whose rights are owned by a parent club...just in case.

Just seems a tad strange to me...regardless..Ghost is signed.   :D

I don't think he can play NHL playoffs on an amateur tryout contract. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

If not, Flyers would burn a year on his ELC if he plays.

I don't think he can play NHL playoffs on an amateur tryout contract. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

If not, Flyers would burn a year on his ELC if he plays.

Makes sense, Rad.  I wasn't thinking about the ATO angle, which is probably why capgeek doesn't show him yet.  At least I assume so...

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

Capgeek typically seems to update once the contract terms are public knowledge. AFAIK, the numbers for Gostisbehere's contract haven't leaked out yet. Plus, it's likely a bit less straightforward, as he's eligible for performance bonuses on an ELC.

Hopefully the influx of Hagg, Ghost, and Laughton, Morin  etc going forward helps improve the "farm experience".

Yes he needs to start out on the farm for sure......but......

....if the the kid we saw in that title game shows up during camp and preseason they will have no choice but to play him on the Flyers because that kid i saw the other night i have never seen a Flyer prospect ever do...ever. 

That was amazing he is suppose to be an offensive guy but they way he was throwing his body around blocking shots and slide stopping that breakaway..is what you dream about seeing...that is it!!!!

It's going to be like a Christmas gift we all think we're getting....we all just can't wait to open it....we have to wait! :(