Mason UBI - Emery to start Game 1

hf101

I don't think Emery's movement has been much of a problem. The bad goals he's given up this year have looked exactly like the bad goals Mason has given up: more about sloppiness, lack of focus, being unprepared and nothing to do with movement or agility. I don't recall Emery getting beat on tons of wraparounds or other types of goals that show him struggling to move.

Watch Neal's goal again. Emery sees the play - the TO by Jake at the blue line...he tracks Crosby till Crosby loses the puck, watches it slide to Neal...Emery adjusts left...he's still ahead of the play, he's square to Neal when he shoots...but...he doesn't set himself properly for the shot. Why not? Your guess is as good as mine.

He just doesn't seem set in position. To me that pointed towards his slow lateral movement not letting him get set up for the shot. Just looked awkward on the play. Should not have been a goal.

I vaguely recall another goalie that was very S-L-O-W laterally although he cost about 6 times as much as Emery... "dassa nice, a higha five-a for da hockey!"

Emery doesn't make excuses or blame EVERYONE else but himself or kill a team from within.

That might have something to do with the hip bone he gave up trying to help this team win in 2010.

Considering there's a piece of titanium holding him together, he's a little bit amazing.

He has no lateral movement. Cold or hot.

Folks... He's a penguins fan, so if there's one thing he should know about (and really maybe that's the only thing) it's diving.

Although only a penguins fan could be so hypocritical as to call a goalie out for a dive on a play like that.

I should've clarified... Dive as it pertains to the rule for embellishing the damage to draw attention.

Which goal lacked lateral movement? He was square to the shooter on both of the last two goals. One bounced off his guy and he didn't track it and the one before he just didn't seem to be paying total attention.

Bre:

I am beginning to wonder if the guy's lateral movement is impaired. He just can't seem to move fast enough. I think his days in the NHL will be numbered. I can't see him being re-signed. The word has to be out.

Peace,

Howie

Folks... He's a penguins fan, so if there's one thing he should know about (and really maybe that's the only thing) it's diving.

Although only a penguins fan could be so hypocritical as to call a goalie out for a dive on a play like that.

*hands you a kleenex* Sorry i hurt your feelings pointing out an embellishment.  

Don't forget Cups. We know a thing or two - or three - about Stanley Cups (unless you count Flyers fans who were old enough to follow hockey when Gerald Ford was President). ;)

You're absolutely right which is why I mentioned it in my original post.

Reading comprehension? Not so much. But cups. Sure.

Don't forget Cups. We know a thing or two - or three - about Stanley Cups (unless you count Flyers fans who were old enough to follow hockey when Gerald Ford was President). ;)

Which goal lacked lateral movement? He was square to the shooter on both of the last two goals. One bounced off his guy and he didn't track it and the one before he just didn't seem to be paying total attention.

If I had a replay I'd reassess. I just didn't think he moved to the puck quickly.

Howie

getting back to Mason's "UBI" - story today sounds like they're only hopeful he's ready for G1.

of course Homer wouldn't comment on the concussion question but it doesn't look good.

if it's Ray it's Ray, I have no problem with him starting the series. Yes he got lit up in NYC but the team was terrible that day.

Good news, from the article:

"Emery has eye-opening career numbers against the Rangers: a 7-2 record, a 1.87 GAA, and a .936 save percentage."

may not mean much considering he wasn't with the Flyers then...but what the hell at least he's got a winning record against them.

Anyway...Go FLYERS! :)

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140415_Flyers_aren_t_sure_Mason_will_play.html

*hands you a kleenex* Sorry i hurt your feelings pointing out an embellishment.  

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=28410&navid=nhl:topheads

I like you polaris, but embellishment is a crock. I am the one that said we have Menga number. You call it a hockey play, and I say in the 70's totally. 80's- 90's maybe. 2000's, no way. Especially by a scrub ahl'er. At least it was not Neal or else this board would be howling for blood. 

Okay take a moment and look at the video YOU posted bud.  Watch as MacDonald hits Mason, Mason starts falling backwards, THEN his head snaps back, well clear of ANY contact.  What was that?  A stiff wind in the arena?  I was there, it wasn't that drafty.  That is an embellishment and a half.  

I stand by my words, as do many of your own Flyers fans.  He wasn't hit nearly as hard as he made it out to be, and that's embellishment.  I'm sorry, but that charge to the net happens game in game out, AHLer or not.  There is no intent to injure, just going to the net hard like players do.  If he's on the ice for practice already it's not a concussion, so you have that going for you.  That tells you he didn't slam his own head on the ice too hard.   ;)   He played the rest of the period he was hit in, so it's probably a minor strain from arching his back so hard to make it look so catastrophic.    

Did you see the save he made on Bennett AFTER the Megna/MacDonald contact?  I even said in the stands that was an amazing save.  He instantly buried his head after that one too.  Maybe he got a strain making that save?  Notice the Flyers haven't said it was from the hit with MacDonald/Megna?  No way he makes that save with a serious injury from that hit.  Not a chance.  He didn't play against Carolina as Berube had already planned to rest him according to your Flyers.  it's all hype.  

This could be a quick playoff exit.

I afraid so Emery is just to slow post to post....and once Hartnell and/or Zac gets frustrated and takes a few dumb penalties it will be over before it begins...Flyers must stay disciplined in their game if they are to have a chance verse the Flyers....i like their forward depth over the Rags but Rags get the nod on the blueline and in net!!!

If they play the Rags like they did the last game verse the Caps where the banged Mike Green every chance they get...just do that to McDonagh they'll have a chance he has a bad left shoulder they must take advantage of he is their best defender....get him off his game who knows....still scared with Emery in net. 

Agreed!  I hate to bag on Emery as he has been decent, but we need better than decent in the Playoffs

I finally felt like we had a viable option in net in the playoffs for the first time in years and Mangina takes him out right before the Playoffs in an almost meaningless game.

stories I'm reading today have Mason probable for tomorrow night.

I don't care who starts bc I like Emery. About 92.658% of a goalie's success depends on the skaters in front of him (just an approximation). If Philly keeps the gaps tight, stays calm on the breakout passing they'll be fine. No matter who's in net.

• Like 1

Agreed!  I hate to bag on Emery as he has been decent, but we need better than decent in the Playoffs

I finally felt like we had a viable option in net in the playoffs for the first time in years and Mangina takes him out right before the Playoffs in an almost meaningless game.

But to be fair man it didn't look that bad...maybe Mae is just setting up his excuse for their early exit...so everyone can say "well he did come back off a concussion blah blah blah....yeah i know that sounds insensitive and all....but can't help it now.

Here is hoping Emery steals a game and once Mase is healthy they just go with the hot hand and let Mase watch from the bench....hahaha ok i'm dreaming aloud!!!

@canoli

Not according to this....

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-Emery-likely-to-face-Rangers.html

Sam CarchidiPosted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 10:49 AM

partnerIcon-Inquirer.jpg

UPDATE [11:57 a.m.]: The Flyers announced that Ray Emery will start Game 1 against the Rangers in place of the injured Steve Mason. Cal Heeter will serve as backup. 

"I don't feel our team feels it's a blow at all," Flyers coach Craig Berube said

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-Emery-likely-to-face-Rangers.html#gUzlGp6PHdtWUask.99
Sam CarchidiPosted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 10:49 AM

partnerIcon-Inquirer.jpg

UPDATE [11:57 a.m.]: The Flyers announced that Ray Emery will start Game 1 against the Rangers in place of the injured Steve Mason. Cal Heeter will serve as backup. 

"I don't feel our team feels it's a blow at all," Flyers coach Craig Berube said

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-Emery-likely-to-face-Rangers.html#gUzlGp6PHdtWUask.99