Why do they make it hard?

Jam1986

I was in no way grouping Columbus in with the doormats. They can still catch us.

We've gone through most of the worst part of our schedule, one that I thought would be our death march, and came out of it pretty good. But if we take the Buffalos and Floridas as a sure 2 points, they'll be no points.

Not only can they catch the Flyers, but they can bump the Flyers down to the wildcard spot. Wouldn't that be something. Finish as the first wildcard and end up playing the Pens in the first round!

@AlaskaFlyerFan

I'd have no problem with that. The problem would be, IF you win, you then play the Bruins. At least we could avoid them seeding in our ridiculously named division.

But if they finish third they play the Rangers at the Garden so which is worse the Brunes or MSG and that is not Accent.

The Flyers have played some great games the past few weeks, but having said that they still lack maturity and leadership. This is exactly where they are in terms of talent in the league as well. Seems they have been in this scenario the past several seasons. You would think they would learn from past mistakes and play hard in October. The last 5 minutes in St Louis Tuesday is the Flyers in a nutshell. 2 man advantage for a minute and a half, not a single shot on goal. With a minute left Giroux takes a really selfish penalty after Backus dominates him for a shift. They managed to get a point but really should have had 2. Then they come home to play Columbus and play a soft perimiter game. Somebody has to step up in the locker room and make everybody accountable. It is going to be tough for them to make the playoffs, and it won't be the last week of the season that determines it. They have had 6 months to get to a comfort zone this season, and their entire hockey careers to realize the game is 60 minutes, not 55. I hope they make it, because drafting 15th won't get you a blue chipper.

I really cannot say I agree with any of that. The team doesn't lack leadership. I really don't know where that diagnosis is coming from.

They still lack some positions in their lineup and their core is still very young. When the season is over they'll have roughly 95 points, which is what should have been expected from this group.

They've gone through a spell of tough games and have done well in winning a bunch but also losing some they were actually in. They took two of the top three teams to overtime in losses and stumbled on a trap game against a team fighting for their lives.

Sorry, but leadership is not even remotely the problem.

But if they finish third they play the Rangers at the Garden so which is worse the Brunes or MSG and that is not Accent.

If they finish the top wildcard, they can't play Boston until the semifinals.

If they got past Pittsburgh, they'd play either Columbus or the Rangers on the road. None of it sounds like much fun to me.

Hey Murray Craven, I agree with you that Giroux has been great. However, This isn't peewee hockey, he is being paid a lot of money to be great every time he is on the ice. As far as leadership and maturity, I am not singling out Giroux, the team as a group still makes bonehead selfish plays when there is no need whatsoever. Zac Rinaldo is a perfect example. Cruising with a 4-0 lead in a must win game, Zac is playing a good game and then his freaking brain just shuts down and he takes an absolutely stupid penalty that will surely include a suspension. Mature teams with great leaders don't make these plays in playoff type games.