Typical Hitchcock

King Knut

Play not to lose instead of playing to win.

Not sure I can agree with that. St Louis has 50 wins and they want the Presidents trophy for home ice advantage throughout the playoffs. This was not a layup game for them. 

Greetings:

We played well but an elite goaltender outperformed an excellent goalie. We also need another marksman. Oshie is amazing.

But we can't complain about this performance. We were competitive and minimized dumb penalties. The team showed mobility that would not have been feasible in October. 

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

The good: we got a point.

The bad: The Rangers got two.

Assuming we make the playoffs (we have a 98% chance of making it), who would you rather face? 

Rangers

Bruins

Pens

Honestly, I would rather face the Pens. The Rangers are playing some excellent hockey, and the Pens are sliding/coasting. They haven't been healthy, so that's a consideration, but it seems we match up better against them than either the Rags or Bruins. 

A few notes on last night's game:

1. Ok, you're the NHL's 3rd top point getter. You're on a breakaway in a scoreless game against the best team in the NHL. Do you: 

a. Go in for a deke and try to fool Miller

b. Try to beat Miller on a shot and hope for a rebound if it doesn't go in

c. Slow down, and wait for an undrafted 3rd liner who has 21 points to catch up, dish off the puck to him, and skate away from the net.

If you answered C, you win the Giroux Questionable Play of the Night Award. 

He did that a few other times last night, where he chose to force a pass when a great shooting lane existed. For all that Giroux does right, this is one area where I wish he were more selfish. 

2. It seems MacDonald is being misused as a left handed shot playing on the left side. He has a much better shot and more offensive acumen than Schenn, and I wish they would switch spots. To any defensemen out there, how difficult would it be for Schenn to adjust to the left side? I've noticed on more than a few occasions missed opportunities because MacDonald couldn't get off a good shot being on the left side. 

3. Emery saved their bacon more than a few times last night. Nice to see him turn in an excellent performance.

4. I thought Brayden Schenn looked great out there. He was skating hard, cycling well, and creating chances.

5. McGinn, on the other hand, looks overwhelmed. If they need a guy for the second line, I'd like to see Akeson or Straka get a shot. 

All in all, strong game by the Flyers. It's impressive that in 2 games against the Blues, they've snagged 3 points. 

• Like 2

The good: we got a point.

The bad: The Rangers got two.

Assuming we make the playoffs (we have a 98% chance of making it), who would you rather face? 

Rangers

Bruins

Pens

Honestly, I would rather face the Pens. The Rangers are playing some excellent hockey, and the Pens are sliding/coasting. They haven't been healthy, so that's a consideration, but it seems we match up better against them than either the Rags or Bruins. 

A few notes on last night's game:

1. Ok, you're the NHL's 3rd top point getter. You're on a breakaway in a scoreless game against the best team in the NHL. Do you: 

a. Go in for a deke and try to fool Miller

b. Try to beat Miller on a shot and hope for a rebound if it doesn't go in

c. Slow down, and wait for an undrafted 3rd liner who has 21 points to catch up, dish off the puck to him, and skate away from the net.

If you answered C, you win the Giroux Questionable Play of the Night Award. 

He did that a few other times last night, where he chose to force a pass when a great shooting lane existed. For all that Giroux does right, this is one area where I wish he were more selfish. 

2. It seems MacDonald is being misused as a left handed shot playing on the left side. He has a much better shot and more offensive acumen than Schenn, and I wish they would switch spots. To any defensemen out there, how difficult would it be for Schenn to adjust to the left side? I've noticed on more than a few occasions missed opportunities because MacDonald couldn't get off a good shot being on the left side. 

3. Emery saved their bacon more than a few times last night. Nice to see him turn in an excellent performance.

4. I thought Brayden Schenn looked great out there. He was skating hard, cycling well, and creating chances.

5. McGinn, on the other hand, looks overwhelmed. If they need a guy for the second line, I'd like to see Akeson or Straka get a shot. 

All in all, strong game by the Flyers. It's impressive that in 2 games against the Blues, they've snagged 3 points. 

Great post Brel...

Schenn looked great last night and was skating hard...  McGinn falt out stinks!  I know some on this board have a man-crush on him but he is not an everyday NHLer and last night he looked lost out there.  Great to get a point but work is to be done...  We still have 2 games in hand over the rangers correct?

Great post Brel...

Schenn looked great last night and was skating hard...  McGinn falt out stinks!  I know some on this board have a man-crush on him but he is not an everyday NHLer and last night he looked lost out there.  Great to get a point but work is to be done...  We still have 2 games in hand over the rangers correct?

Yessir. Two games in hand, 3 points behind. So at this point, we still control our destiny.

Yessir. Two games in hand, 3 points behind. So at this point, we still control our destiny.

that is what I thought.   Playing against Boston and then St Louis I am more than happy with 2 points.  The stacked up against 2 of the best teams in the league. 

I can't find much fault with the effort last night, the result wasn't what we were hoping for but after playing that well in the first and coming up with a 0 on the scoreboard it had the feeling of "one of those nights"  .  

@brelic, I agree about Giroux needing to be more selfish he's got such a great shot,let it loose more often or use the goalie pads to make the pass. 

but I'm not going to point fingers at a bunch of guys they've played really well since the olympics with only one stinker (against the Rangers poor night to **** the bed) they've risen to the occasion and with a couple of bounces could have perhaps secured a playoff spot.

oh and thanks everybody for confirming my eye test regarding McGinn.  He needs to improve vastly to play in the NHL.

but I'm not going to point fingers at a bunch of guys they've played really well since the olympics with only one stinker (against the Rangers poor night to **** the bed) they've risen to the occasion and with a couple of bounces could have perhaps secured a playoff spot.

They've gone 4-0-2 against the Pens (2x), Hawks, Bruins, and Blues (2x). 10 of 12 points. I'd say that's a huge accomplishment. It could have *easily* gone the other way and put their playoff hopes in question.

But they were up to the task and earned points against the league's elite.

I'm considering driving down to Boston this weekend to see the game. Or maybe I'll just wait for a playoff game instead :)

Greetings:

We played well but an elite goaltender outperformed an excellent goalie. We also need another marksman. Oshie is amazing in the shootout.

But we can't complain about this performance. We were competitive and minimized dumb penalties. The team showed mobility that would not have been feasible in October. 

Best,

Howie

Fixed it for you. At 27 years old, he finally broke 20 goals for his first time ever. We have 5 - 20 goal scorers and 2 more guys at 18. Amazing???

Wasn't saying it was a layup game, i just hate that Hitchcock style of hockey.  Can be very effective, and this time of year it can actually make for exciting games, but it's really kind of a drag most of the season, effective or not. 

Not sure I can agree with that. St Louis has 50 wins and they want the Presidents trophy for home ice advantage throughout the playoffs. This was not a layup game for them.

Yeah, I agree, Miller's saves weren't flat out jaw dropping.  Our guys shot it into him an awful lot.

To me that's more a tribute to the Blues defense pressuring the shooters and disrupting chances.    It was really hard for the Flyers to get a unmolested flat pucked pass or unchecked rebound opportunity.  The blues D played a heck of a game and Miller played a heck of a game. 

So did the Flyers D and Emery though and it's bogus that a game like that has to be decided by a carnival attraction.

Maybe the goalies should arm wrestle at center ice instead?

Miller made some good  saves but too many shots into the pads plus some terrible puck handling lead up to the S O which should never have gone that far.

Great post Brel...

Schenn is improving, but he's still a ways away from tapping his potential. It's been fun to watch him grow this season, but he's still prone to making some really rookie type mistakes out there. Some of his really bad turnovers resulted in mayhem in our zone where we were pinned in and had to ice the puck. Those have, more often than not, resulted in a goal or penalty. We got lucky last night. Still.. he's playing well, but in a few years.. this kid is gonna be a great player. 

• Like 1

I feel like that's what I've been hearing about him... for a few years now.

He's getting better, but I'm not sure I see him developing into an elite player.

If it's going to happen it's going to happen by this time next year at the latest.  Not that I think we're getting terrible stuff out of him or that I want him traded, but this great player talk is going to have to recede at some point. Some players come into the league as great players (Kane, Crosby, etc) but if a kid goes from being a good player to a great one, usually 23-24 is where it happens if it's going to happen at all.

but in a few years.. this kid is gonna be a great player.

I feel like that's what I've been hearing about him... for a few years now.

He's getting better, but I'm not sure I see him developing into an elite player.

If it's going to happen it's going to happen by this time next year at the latest.  Not that I think we're getting terrible stuff out of him or that I want him traded, but this great player talk is going to have to recede at some point. Some players come into the league as great players (Kane, Crosby, etc) but if a kid goes from being a good player to a great one, usually 23-24 is where it happens if it's going to happen at all.

I still really get the feeling that B Schenn is as good as gone come draft/June 1 in a deal for a defenseman.

I still really get the feeling that B Schenn is as good as gone come draft/June 1 in a deal for a defenseman.

You know Brelic... I was just having this conversation yesterday.  Not that I want him gone but I think he is the one that gets traded if a #1 became available.   Just a feeling...

@Knut, I feel the same way about his progress.   Each year I am waiting for him to bust out... he shows flashes but also disappears and that is frustrating.  I do think the kid is going to be a very good player but I think it will be w another Team. 

Edited by murraycraven

You know Brelic... I was just having this conversation yesterday.  Not that I want him gone but I think he is the one that gets traded if a #1 became available.   Just a feeling...

Same here. I'd rather keep him, but he seems like the most 'expendable' of our good pieces because of Giroux, VLC, and Coots up the middle, with Laughton likely coming up next season.

I think if they could/would move VLC, then TGS (The Good Schenn) stays. Given how poorly VLC has played and how he just hasn't really 'integrated' into this team in any meaningful way, perhaps that's their first option. I'm convinced Montreal would overpay for him. He would instantly be the top line hometown center they always salivate after. And the Habs have some good trading chips with their prospects or picks. I'd take a 2nd and 3rd for him.

In that scenario, TGS remains 2nd line center, and Laughton would probably work his way up from the 4th. I know Coots is playing better offensively this year, but to me, he still looks destined to be a 3rd line shutdown guy. He's still young and developing, so I'm not writing him off yet - but his offensive game just seems s-l-o-w in execution when you compare it to the speed of the game.

Or maybe you develop Laughton on TGS's wing, or swap the two. Either way, I'm sure it would be better than what VLC brings to this team. And he's in the declining years!

• Like 1

Same here. I'd rather keep him, but he seems like the most 'expendable' of our good pieces because of Giroux, VLC, and Coots up the middle, with Laughton likely coming up next season.

I think if they could/would move VLC, then TGS (The Good Schenn) stays. Given how poorly VLC has played and how he just hasn't really 'integrated' into this team in any meaningful way, perhaps that's their first option. I'm convinced Montreal would overpay for him. He would instantly be the top line hometown center they always salivate after. And the Habs have some good trading chips with their prospects or picks. I'd take a 2nd and 3rd for him.

In that scenario, TGS remains 2nd line center, and Laughton would probably work his way up from the 4th. I know Coots is playing better offensively this year, but to me, he still looks destined to be a 3rd line shutdown guy. He's still young and developing, so I'm not writing him off yet - but his offensive game just seems s-l-o-w in execution when you compare it to the speed of the game.

Or maybe you develop Laughton on TGS's wing, or swap the two. Either way, I'm sure it would be better than what VLC brings to this team. And he's in the declining years!

If they could move Vinnie I would take a bag of pucks honestly.   Moving Vinny gives this Team way more options and allows the Core to remain in tact.  Make it happen Brel!