Much closer than....

Vanflyer

.... the score indicates. 

Some clutch plays by the Flyers, but without Mason, this game was a loss. I LOVE Schirtenek, but he disappeared after the first two periods. 

That said, the 4 minors on Girioux was a bit extreme. Given that, Sobakta did a really nice job. To get Girioux of the ice for 6 minutes and allowing him two points was AWESOME. 

Mason and Raffl are the ones we should be talking about. Without either of their stellar play, this game was an L. 

Mason and Raffl are the ones we should be talking about. Without either of their stellar play, this game was an L.

I am going to throw some credit the defense's way myself although Mason and Raffl were both excellent.. Man have they looked different since Mez's departure. They actually play defense! Who knew?

Man have they looked different since Mez's departure. They actually play defense! Who knew?

I don't disagree. Who is your standout tandem of the game. 

For me, I thought Timmo had his usual quiet stellar game. I notice Maddaddy a bit too. 

.... the score indicates. 

Some clutch plays by the Flyers, but without Mason, this game was a loss. I LOVE Schirtenek, but he disappeared after the first two periods. 

That said, the 4 minors on Girioux was a bit extreme. Given that, Sobakta did a really nice job. To get Girioux of the ice for 6 minutes and allowing him two points was AWESOME. 

A lot of iron rang so much i lost count to who would have won it if they all counted it was a not so good first and flyers got better as the game went. Raffl is amazing now to watch....he is really strong on the puck. He should replace Downie for good on the 3rd....especially after resigning him Downie is not in the future plans.

• Like 2

I am going with AMac and Schenn. Schenn definitely gets most improved  defensive player since the Olympic break.

Seriously.  I blame Ronald MacDonald for Schenn's improvement.   Regardless of the reason, Schenn's improvement has been exponential.

It's not a coincidence that the Flyers have played their best hockey of the season after acquiring McDaddy from the Isles. His presence is a 2-1, cause L.Schenn is VASTLY improved when paired with Andrew. Our entire second pairing has been repaired, like night and day. A HUGE reason we are a confident squad moving forward. Great trade by Homer, I hate giving away draft picks, but this was WELL worth it. Sign this guy already, his price is going up daily!!

He should replace Downie for good on the 3rd....especially after resigning him Downie is not in the future plans.

Agreed.  Downie was always supposed to have 2nd line potential- but can't even hack it on the third line. 

cause L.Schenn is VASTLY improved when paired with Andrew.

What do you think the reason for that is? Most thought Macdaddy was just another in a long line of stay at home 4-6 guys? 

(I beg to differ watching him play), but still. 

What do you think the reason for that is? Most thought Macdaddy was just another in a long line of stay at home 4-6 guys? 

(I beg to differ watching him play), but still. 

I think AMac plays *some* role in L Schenn's resurgance, but I can't imagine he is solely responsible.  It's hard to speculate, really...  To me L Scheen is an enigma in this league and it was fitting that JVR was traded for him because these two guys have one thing in common - big expectations / potentials and spotty performance. 

It's a hit or miss with Schenn. The question will always be which L Schenn will show up to play.  I am glad he is playing well now, but I will wait before I get excited until I see some consistency, and by consistancy I mean at least one full season, not a qurter of the season, not two weeks of the season followed by crappy play, but one full season.  He showed us he can do it. 

I think AMac plays *some* role in L Schenn's resurgance, but I can't imagine he is solely responsible. It's hard to speculate, really... To me L Scheen is an enigma in this league and it was fitting that JVR was traded for him because these two guys have one thing in common - big expectations / potentials and spotty performance.

It's a hit or miss with Schenn. The question will always be which L Schenn will show up to play. I am glad he is playing well now, but I will wait before I get excited until I see some consistency, and by consistancy I mean at least one full season, not a qurter of the season, not two weeks of the season followed by crappy play, but one full season. He showed us he can do it.

The thing is he HAS been consistent since Mac's arrival. I don't think it is at all coincidental. I just think their games complement each other very well

• Like 1

@Mad Dog  Oh yeah, I'm not claiming the MacDaddy is 100% for Schenn's respectable play of late, but he must be playing a fairly big role, cause his play has been night and day. Not really sure why, but he seems a LOT more poised when paired with Andrew, there is a nice comfort level that seems to exist. Perhaps Luke knows that Andrew is a decent skater, so he knows there is back up if he is not in a great position.

@Mad Dog  Oh yeah, I'm not claiming the MacDaddy is 100% for Schenn's respectable play of late, but he must be playing a fairly big role, cause his play has been night and day. Not really sure why, but he seems a LOT more poised when paired with Andrew, there is a nice comfort level that seems to exist. Perhaps Luke knows that Andrew is a decent skater, so he knows there is back up if he is not in a great position.

He actually knows where to find AMac and how to play off of his position. Seriously, MacDonald actually plays like a defenseman, not a free wheeling, looking to score forward who cares not for defense(Mez). That to me is the absolute biggest difference.

He actually knows where to find AMac and how to play off of his position. Seriously, MacDonald actually plays like a defenseman, not a free wheeling, looking to score forward who cares not for defense(Mez). That to me is the absolute biggest difference.

Great point, I have noticed that about Mac's game, very sound positionally. None of this fly by the seat of your pants crap, very dependable.

I think AMac plays *some* role in L Schenn's resurgance, but I can't imagine he is solely responsible.  It's hard to speculate, really...  To me L Scheen is an enigma in this league and it was fitting that JVR was traded for him because these two guys have one thing in common - big expectations / potentials and spotty performance. 

It's a hit or miss with Schenn. The question will always be which L Schenn will show up to play.  I am glad he is playing well now, but I will wait before I get excited until I see some consistency, and by consistancy I mean at least one full season, not a qurter of the season, not two weeks of the season followed by crappy play, but one full season.  He showed us he can do it. 

You should have seen Kessel giving it to JVR last night because of a boneheaded play. He followed it up with a goalie interference penalty lol. It's rare you see kessel even talk, let alone ream out a linemate.

Terp here, alive and kickin'.

Took my 8 year old son to his first NHL game yesterday. I actually got a little misty when the Flyers took the ice.

Mason stole the game, no question. Not only was he very good, he made timely saves, none bigger than the one he made on the doorstep to keep it at 2-1. It's a different game if that goes in and I still don't know how he kept it out. His puck handling is great too obviously.

Raffl plays in all situations, an amazing thing for an undrafted guy who was playing in a tier 2 Swedish league last season.

MacDonald and Streit were frequently overpowered down low and I could see this being an issue playoff time. Both are terrific, creative even first passers which is defense in and of itself but you do not want them chasing forwards down low. They aren't good at it.

Scott Hartnell, Kimo Timonen and of course Claude Giroux played very well. Giroux earned each of his penalties as did Hartnell. Meanwhile, Sean Couturier may have been the best player on the ice other than Mason.

Downie is is probably concussed again. Berglund interfered with him and deliberately put his shoulder into his head and I don't think a suspension would be out of place other than the fact that it was Downie, so nothing will happen.

Cheers guys.

It is actually.

Schenn and Gus displayed some of that chemistry but with Amac he seems to concentrate on his own zone first everything else is secondary and to me that is what you want from a Dman. For him to know he is responsible for defense first, securing your zone and in front of the net and don't just let someone stand at the top of the crease uncontested.

And Luke and Amac display text book defense in their zone a lot of time. The zone is split in half each one has a responsible to play their side and and when the other is behind the net or chasing the puck carrier the other one needs to know they need to be close by the crease to keep it clear and assist the goalie. And they do it....hell i'd even say they don't it more consistently than Kimmo and Coby even.

Very impressed by their growth together. And the other Dpairs need to follow suit and it seems that Streit and Gross have gelled a little both still at times scrabble a little around their own goalie but i see them getting better.

@terp

Good thing Mac and Streit aren't on the ice together much. Certainly not enough to qualify as "frequently."

I disagree that Mac isn't good at chasing down forwards, but typically does well enough with positioning that he doesn't have to.

However, at even strength, a Streit - Macdonald pairing should be kept to bare minimum. They don't at all compliment each other's skill sets. They are not duplicate players, but they do overlap way too much on both strengths and weaknesses to want to pair them anymore than is necessary.

In fact, as an aside, what scares me about this team is that they are losing ONE defenseman to injury away from having a difficult time. Possibly more than most playoff teams.

Right now they have three pairs that need to play as those pairs to really be effective. I wouldn't mix and match if someone were to go down. I'd simply plug into that spot with someone and leave the other two pairs alone.

But part of their effectiveness, I think, is that the three pairs themselves offset each other and provide a little change up to the opponent. I'm thinking you weaken one pair, you weaken all three.

So here's to hoping for health

@ruxpin

I don't recall seeing them paired; referring to them as individuals, not as a pair. MacDonald is more able down low than Streit I'll give you that. I would say Carle is better than both, which gives you my frame of reference at least.

@ruxpin

I don't recall seeing them paired; referring to them as individuals, not as a pair. MacDonald is more able down low than Streit I'll give you that. I would say Carle is better than both, which gives you my frame of reference at least.

Probably a good player to put in the same type, anyway.   I think MacDonald is much better defensively than Carle, but definitely comparable with skating and passing.   Also both have only an average shot, at best.   Streit has a better shot than either, and defensively I think Streit and Carle are probably aptly comparable.     I personally give Carle the edge to Streit based on age, but I'll give MacDonald the edge on Carle just because I think he's much better on defense.