Trap game: Dallas Stars?

Samifan

Coming off an emotional weekend against the Penguins, a tough game against the Hawks and with the league leading Blues coming to town Saturday, I hope the Flyers can remain focused and not look past tomorrows game against the Stars. Dallas has been struggling of late and will be coming into town after being blasted by the Pens last night.

C'mon Chief have them ready.

Dallas has been struggling of late and will be coming into town after being blasted by the Pens last night.

Truthfully, I was praying for just a point against the Hawks. To your point, there can be no let down against Dallas. I posted a couple of days ago that we need 98 points to get in the playoffs. There are 14 games left and to attain that means 17 more points. .600 hockey and we play all playoff teams after Dallas. 

Truthfully, I was praying for just a point against the Hawks. To your point, there can be no let down against Dallas. I posted a couple of days ago that we need 98 points to get in the playoffs. There are 14 games left and to attain that means 17 more points. .600 hockey and we play all playoff teams after Dallas

not for nothing, but 3 of the last 5 are Buffalo, Florida, and Carolina.

Also, with the Flyers having either a widening lead (Detroit, Columbus) or games in hand (Toronto, NY, Washington), they probably don't need 98 points. For the Rags to hit 98 points, they need 10 wins in 12 games. Washington needs 11 wins in 12 games. Tronno needs 9. Detroit needs 11.5 in 14 games, Columbus 11 in 14. Flyers only need 9.5 in 14 games. This late run has set them up pretty well.

That said, the  Flyers probably have the toughest schedule over the last month. But the Wings are beat up and fading, Bernier is hurt in Toronto, the Rags have been a mess since the deadline...I think 98 points guarantees home-ice in the first round of the playoffs. I'd say 93/94 guarantees the playoffs. But then you're dicing with playing Boston in the first round while losing some momentum (only .500 coming into the playoffs), and I want this team to be playing confident hockey when they finally hit Boston. And they'd have to be if they made the ECF.

Dallas smoked these guys in big D and that doesn't seem that long ago.

Having said that , the Stars look like a different team from the one that throttled the Flyers in January.  lots of guys watching Kuntiz score on his rebound , lots of guys watching Sidney score.  Maybe they were worn down from that line cycling the puck  but it sure looked like plenty of open ice to me.

Still Benn Seguin and Nisuikin are "f"ing scary.

gonna be a tough game for sure. i don't buy into the 'trap game' theory at all. i think these players are taking it one game at a time. that being said, they are in the middle of a very tough schedule and they have been playing at a pretty consistently high level. even the best teams suffer from lapses in their 'A game' 

. I'd say 93/94 guarantees the playoffs. But then you're dicing with playing Boston in the first round while losing some momentum (only .500 coming into the playoffs), and I want this team to be playing confident hockey when they finally hit Boston. And they'd have to be if they made the ECF.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't any way we would play Boston or Pittsburgh in the first round unless we were one of the wild card teams granting Boston and Pittsburgh finish first in their respective Divisions.  Chances are we will be the #2 or #3 seed in the Metro with home ice first round if we finish #2.

We would not play Boston until the Eastern Finals.

This will result in the following formatting per conference:

Atlantic Division

*No. 1 seed in division vs. Wild Card team

*No. 2 seed in division vs. No. 3 seed in division

Metropolitan Division

*No. 1 seed in division vs. Wild Card team

*No. 2 seed in division vs. No. 3 seed in division

The winners of those series will face each other for the division championship. The two division champions will then compete for the conference championship and the right to battle for the Stanley Cup against the winner of the opposing conference.

The 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs are scheduled to begin on Wednesday, April 16.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/7/19/4538774/nhl-playoff-format-realignment-postseason-system

Coming off an emotional weekend against the Penguins, a tough game against the Hawks and with the league leading Blues coming to town Saturday, I hope the Flyers can remain focused and not look past tomorrows game against the Stars. Dallas has been struggling of late and will be coming into town after being blasted by the Pens last night.

C'mon Chief have them ready.

I think the Flyers will be more than focused enough for this game. 

I think they keep it rolling.

Trap game, yes.  The Stars were motivated - both for their playoff lives, and to bounce back from a few, ahh, "lackluster" games previous - and had a lot of spunk in their game last night, but cudos to the Flyers, they were up for it.

Tip of the hat to Mason, thought he was outstanding, and Couturier, man is he an up and comer or what!  All over the puck all night long!