Hart Trophy

Vanflyer

While I understand your rationale, Malkin has been pretty bad this season. He's hurt the team a lot with stupid penalties and really only had two games of note since the Olympics. His last two before injuring his foot again.

Sadly the Olympic hangover we're suffering may have damaged Crosby's chances a little. We're not the only team struggling with it right now.

I just don't know if Giroux's play will overcome Crosby's huge points lead in the scoring race, and that gap is what makes him stand out for the Hart.

I like Van's reasoning. It has both merit and precedent (Ovechkin over Crosby last year).

But I wouldn't have voted for Ovechkin last year. I just ultimately don't believe the MVP should be able to basically start the season late (Ovechkin last year and Giroux this year).

Crosby started strong out of the gate, built his team a huge lead in the division and IF he's let up slightly (I don't think so) it's understandable given his team's injuries and the fact they are kind of in coast mode.

I could make a valid argument for any of the three players, but I think Crosby has to get my vote.

I think I'm starting to lean toward Giroux for second place, but the starting late and getting your couch fired really bothers me regarding an MVP vote for this year. So I'm still Crosby, Getzlaf, Giroux. In that order.

@ruxpin

In fairness, Laviolette should have been fired prior to this season...IMO.

I don't disagree. In fact, I completely agree (although my agreement is admittedly in retrospect. I thought he should be fired over the summer but really didn't appreciate how much of the problem he seems, in contrast, to have been).

It doesn't really change the way I apply it to my MVP equation, though.

@ruxpin

In fairness, Laviolette should have been fired prior to this season...IMO.

We both know what I meant but I just reread my post. I technically said he got his couch fired. That's far worse than Lavy being axed. It was a perfectly good couch.

My top five for this season:

1. Getzlaf. To me the most underrated superstar in the game because he plays on the west coast and is quiet.

2. Sid

3. Seguin

4. Giroux

5. Ovie

Of those five all of whom are having outstanding seasons I believe it has to be Crosby. The Pens have been decimated with injuries and he has lifted the team onto his back and carried them all year, not just nickel and dime players out but critical players. Crosby leads all forwards in ice time, leads all players in scoring and in faceoffs. He leads the league in scoring, with two weeks to go he could take the rest of the year off and nobody would catch him. He is second to Backstrom in Power play points.

This is not a rip on Seguin, Getzlaf, Giroux or Ovechkin, all are having great seasons but Crosby is twenty percent better than great. I cannot see a scenario where you could justify choosing anyone else. It is hard to believe this is only the second time he led the league in scoring due to all of the injuries.

• Like 1

There's are a few simple reasons why it isn't Giroux or Getzlaf over Crosby. 

Giroux.  An Hart winner cannot take 1/4 of the season off.  20 games in Giroux was at 2G/10A/-6 and playing badly.  0 goals in his first 15 games. 1 goal in his 1st 16 games. 2 in his first 20.  Sure - his play since then has helped the Flyers turn things around.  His play for the first 1/4 of the season is a big reason why the Flyers were in that hole to begin with.  That's not Hart material i/n/h/o.

Getzlaf. Crosby doesn't "have" Malkin. At least not like Getzlaf has Perry.  They are rarely on the same line even strength.  Crosby "has" Kunitz (we know the thoughts on him) and ___________________ (insert AHLer) and he leads the league in scoring by 17 points.  He has Malkin on the top PP unit as well as the aforementioned Kunitz plus Neal (we know the thoughts on him) and, this year, Matt Niskanen.  Getzlaf always has Perry. I'll lay a bet that Ducks fans will argue their top PP unit trumps the Pens.

Back to those 1st 20 games.  As I mentioned above, Giroux had 12 points.  Crosby had 25 (9G/16A). So in spite of this ferocious point pace Giroux has been on since then - he's lost ground to Crosby.

Hart candidate? Sure. Hart winner?  Closer than it has been in the past but Crosby should be a no-brainer.

There's are a few simple reasons why it isn't Giroux or Getzlaf over Crosby. 

Giroux.  An Hart winner cannot take 1/4 of the season off.  20 games in Giroux was at 2G/10A/-6 and playing badly.  0 goals in his first 15 games. 1 goal in his 1st 16 games. 2 in his first 20.  Sure - his play since then has helped the Flyers turn things around.  His play for the first 1/4 of the season is a big reason why the Flyers were in that hole to begin with.  That's not Hart material i/n/h/o.

Getzlaf. Crosby doesn't "have" Malkin. At least not like Getzlaf has Perry.  They are rarely on the same line even strength.  Crosby "has" Kunitz (we know the thoughts on him) and ___________________ (insert AHLer) and he leads the league in scoring by 17 points.  He has Malkin on the top PP unit as well as the aforementioned Kunitz plus Neal (we know the thoughts on him) and, this year, Matt Niskanen.  Getzlaf always has Perry. I'll lay a bet that Ducks fans will argue their top PP unit trumps the Pens.

Back to those 1st 20 games.  As I mentioned above, Giroux had 12 points.  Crosby had 25 (9G/16A). So in spite of this ferocious point pace Giroux has been on since then - he's lost ground to Crosby.

Hart candidate? Sure. Hart winner?  Closer than it has been in the past but Crosby should be a no-brainer.

Tell that to Ovechkin.

5. Ovie

I can't get behind ovie at all (even for finalist). I don't care that he is going to hit 50 goals. He only plays 100 feet of the rink. Half his points have come on the PP. So, out his 72, 36 (actually 35 because he has a shp) have come even strength. Combine that with his enormous -32 shows me that for nearly every even strength point he scores, he is on the ice for not one, but two goals against. Say what you will about +/-, but that is just too glaring for me to overlook (particularly since washingtons team defense is in the middle of the pack- 17th). 

Edited by Vanflyer

All players get caught being lazy in their careers.  Yes, even Giroux.  Crosby happens to be one of the best two way centers in the game.  Should've spent more time finding a good video to use though, as he was already a good bit behind the play with a defenseman taking the man.  Crosby's assignment there is to pick up any trailing players, a pee wee coach knows that  ;)  As for Ovenchicken...  that's more the norm than a rarity.  

Edited by Polaris922