Hart Trophy

Vanflyer

While there are certainly other worthy candidates (Crosby leading the way), I think its about time we start talking about Giroux as a Hart trophy finalist. He is just such an amazing player / leader. While I don't watch allot of other teams, he stirs the drink- so to speak, on this team. Given the abysmal start by the team and him, and the subsequent resurrection, I can not deny him as a legit candidate (even with my bipolar / biopic brain-eyes) .

Edited by Vanflyer

While there are certainly other worthy candidates (Crosby leading the way), I think its about time we start talking about Giroux as a Hart trophy finalist. He is just such an amazing player / leader. While I don't watch allot of other teams, he stirs the drink- so to speak, on this team. Given the abysmal start by the team and him, and the subsequent resurrection, I can not deny him as a legit candidate (even with my bipolar / biopic brain-eyes) .

@ Vanflyer

Though I agree with you, no one will vote for a Flyer player!

I think its about time we start talking about Giroux as a Hart trophy finalist.

Yep, was saying this last week, and so was Elliot Friedman on CBC. If his brutal start was not there, he would be a lock for this award. I recall vividly a LOT of posters wanting him gone, traded off. I stuck by him, it was frustrating, but the kind of special talent Claude has, it's literally top 5 in the league. That kind of talent might struggle, but will never fall totally apart over the course of a full season. He's just to skilled for that to happen.

The big thing for me was it was apparent his heart was not in during the long season starting slump. I'm thrilled he's done a 360, he's playing like a man possessed right now, has been for months. You just never know what is bugging a player to have him slump, troubles with the girlfriend, family member sick, an injury he is hiding etc, etc, etc... His mission is to lead this team into the playoffs, and he is doing a stellar job of that. You simply could not ask for more.  

His mission is to lead this team into the playoffs, and he is doing a stellar job of that. You simply could not ask for more.  

Being as stupid as I am, would you give the Hart to the leading point getter / goal scorer, or the leading player on the ice? I am referencing Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf and Kessel here (for me, I think Kessel deserves equal merit as Girioux).I think the hart should go to the player that puts his team on his back. That is exactly what G is doing now and has since November. 

Edited by Vanflyer

Being as stupid as I am, would you give the Hart to the leading point getter / goal scorer, or the leading player on the ice?

Well, they give out the Art Ross for the most pts, so the Hart is intended to be the actual most valuable player to his team. G fits the bill, if the Flyers did not have Claude, we would be almost Buffalo...a bit of an exaggeration, but we would be awful, no where near sniffing a playoff run, that much is for sure. The Pens have Malkin, so if the Pens lost Sid, they would still most likely me in a playoff position...the same can't be said of the Flyers....and we know the Bolts would be a playoff team with or without Stammer. G has a leg up here on the other candidates.

• Like 2

and we know the Bolts would be a playoff team with or without Stammer. G has a leg up here on the other candidates.

What about Getzlaf? I don't watch much of Anaheim's games, but he is having an amazing year and carrying the ducks on his shoulders (same as G). 

Being as stupid as I am, would you give the Hart to the leading point getter / goal scorer, or the leading player on the ice? I am referencing Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf and Kessel here (for me, I think Kessel deserves equal merit as Girioux).I think the hart should go to the player that puts his team on his back. That is exactly what G is doing now and has since November. 

Kessel? Ugh. He's having a great year, but my MVP doesn't Ovechkin his way back into his own end. Once the puck gets turned over, Crosby, Giroux or Getzlaf don't shut it down like Phil the Nill on the backcheck.

If the Flyers go deep he just may get it

I know that technically the Hart is for regular season only. But does post-season performance actually affect the voting for this award? The playoffs already have the Conn Smythe for MVP.

@brelic

It shouldn't. And the Norris should go to the best DEFENCEMAN. And the Selke shouldn't be mainly about points.

Right, so what I'm wondering is if playoff performance actually affects Hart voting, or we're assuming it does? Of course, there's no real way to know or compartmentalize it unless voting took place immediately after the last game of the season and the results sealed until awards time.

I DO NOT WANT Giroux to be considered for ANY awards, that way he keeps playing with the chip on his shoulder that he has had since being snubbed twice for the Olympic team. Dude is simply dominating now!

It seems the voting takes place right after the season, so the playoffs wouldn't affect the results.

The voting is conducted at the end of the regular season by members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, and each individual voter ranks their top five candidates on a 10-7-5-3-1 points system. Three finalists are named and the trophy is awarded at the NHL Awards ceremony after the playoffs.
  • Like 2

@brelic

End of the regular season is vague. If I remember right it's a long process. A few weeks usually. But maybe that's just when they can get it done. Nowhere out there does it say "immediately" or anything and I can find no guidelines.

Regardless the more I learn about the process the more apparent it is that it's a joke.

Kessel? Ugh. He's having a great year, but my MVP doesn't Ovechkin his way back into his own end. Once the puck gets turned over, Crosby, Giroux or Getzlaf don't shut it down like Phil the Nill on the backcheck.

You made me laugh allot at that! 

You're gonna get eaten alive on this board. No one likes Giroux or at least they do t think he has any significant value to the team.

I on the other hand will just chew you out for putting a jinx on him and the team! If he gets hurt, we shall have words!

Seriously though... I've been saying it since that game against Edmonton when everything changed, this team's heart beats with Giroux.

I didn't think until then he was that kind of a leader and I was fine with that, figuring it's better to have him focus on scoring. But Claude is a complete player and needs to be doing it all to do any if it. He can't " just score" anymore.

It scares me how much this team's success is tied directly to him and where his ge is at.

That said, let's not talk about trophies for a few more weeks ok? I'm way too superstitious.

It scares me how much this team's success is tied directly to him and where his ge is at.

Every team's success is, to an extent, tied mainly to one leader above all others (officially or unofficially). That's how it works with 23 guys who have different skill sets, different roles, different work ethics, different levels of motivation and ambition. Giroux can't do it alone, which is why I'm sure Timonen has a huge calming influence, Hartnell seems to keep guys loose and laughing. Vinny also brings a certain something to the locker room. I don't know that for a fact, but I'm assuming that he's got some valuable things to share. 

But you're absolutely right. Without Giroux, this isn't the same team. Forget his production for a moment.. even if you could replace that, it's his sheer determination and focus that sets him apart from the other 22 guys on the team.

That said, let's not talk about trophies for a few more weeks ok? I'm way too superstitious.

Only one trophy that matters - the big one.

I'd rather get shut out of every nomination for every individual trophy if they win the team trophy (and I don't mean "President's Cup" lol)

I didn't think until then he was that kind of a leader

He's certainly progressed tremendously, learning on the job. I think it also helps that these guys have been together and have grown together - both in the sense of growing as players and growing closer together.

it's his sheer determination and focus that sets him apart from the other 22 guys on the team.

I don't know that he's that head-and-shoulders above everyone else on the team in that regard. I think that players like Simmonds and Read have a tremendous drive in their games. I think you can see similar from Hartnell, Timonen.

What G's become is the real "straw that stirs the drink" - he is the focal point for the rest of them. He's leading by example, but also by leading.

Good to see. Bodes well for the long term.

Yeah, more likely to influence things is where the flyers end up in the standings and where G ends up in scoring.

If Crosby and the penguins continue to falter with these injuries and the flyers somehow get a lot closer to them in the standings and manage to beat them in their last game against eAch other, the. viroid may have made a statement the league voters are capable of understanding. Otherwise they'll either go Crosby or a defenseman or a goalie -because lately it seems they are looking for reasons to cite against Syd.

But picking a flyer? They gotta have a damn good reason and 20 points is a lot for G and the Flyers to make up.

The voting is done prior to the playoffs. Just saying.