Claude (the one year wonder) Giroux

Giroux is known as Capitaine Claude in my house. My 5 year old loves the Flyers and Giroux. 

When I told her the other morning that Capitaine Claude scored the winning goal in OT, she was stoked. I showed her the replay and she was cheering.

I said "he's a good little French hockey player".

She said "You used to be a good little French hockey player too, papa."

I just smiled and said "Yes I was." So cute. 

She calls you papa? Jesus Christ that's adorable. It's something out of the early 1900s, but it's f-cking adorable.

She calls you papa? Jesus Christ that's adorable. It's something out of the early 1900s, but it's f-cking adorable.

Haha, well, I guess it's what French kids do. My wife is German, so it's papa and mama, which works out well because it's the same in both languages. It is pretty darn cute, I agree!

Actually the "me" from back then was proven wrong.

I said that I didn't think he had that kind of game in him and wasn't that kind of leader and shouldn't be pushed into that role and should have been given a role taylored to his skills, AKA just let Claude score and set up goals.  I thought the guy from "The Shift" was something we'd see once in a while and that it wasn't fair to ask Claude to be that guy with much consistency and the rest of the time we should just let him set up goals and score as much as he could.

I didn't say "He's playing poorly right now."  I said he shouldn't be the captain. 

I said he wasn't a "put the team on his shoulders" kind of player.  I was really wrong.  He was still working through things.  And yes, maybe he'll need to work through things once in a while, but he's looked like the guy from "The Shift" for a few months now.

I'm eating crow and I'm not ashamed of it.  I've never been happier to have made an incorrect assessment.  Hopefully it holds true!