Weekend Home & Home with the Pens

B21

I watched the 1st period while on my lunch break. Listened to the 2nd and 3rd via the Flyers app on my iPhone. The Pens certainly appeared to play better in the 2nd and 3rd. Just as soon as the the Pens got to within 1 at 3-2, the Flyers scored yet another Shorty. The Pens did get it back, but it was the adverbial too little too late. They did clink one of the post as time expired.

I blame your coach and captain for this debacle. After getting their collective asses handed to them yesterday, they SHOULD have played much more inspired hockey in front of your own fans and what does MAF do, but give up 3 goals and gets yanked. In fairness, he had no D in front of him and he kept the score from being any worse. -

I don't see it that way. I see a top six that is in constant shuffle mode with new faces every game, partly Bylsma partly injury. I see a team that has this far outperformed its roster with all of the injuries (405 games and counting) that's going to stumble here and there. A team that routinely struggles after long breaks (Saturday) and that gave up two power play goals to a good power play to start off Sunday. Fleury by all accounts was stellar in both games, only being pulled to send a wake up call. And I won't doubt Sid's leadership till his own players do. Not to mention leading a proverbial MASH unit to top of the East for the entire season until now. So I really think anyone trying to blame leadership from that angle is still just hating. We've heard that for years, even when they won the Cup.

I think accountability is an issue sometimes, in that Bortuzzo was directly responsible for your first two goals and Bylsma doesn't punish the kid. Now maybe that's why they're developing defensemen and not me, but I'd have sat him the rest of the first.

As for many of the other comments, we have our angry fans just like anyone else does. The team started to gel in the second and really were the more dominant team in both the second and third periods.

I'm not unrealistic in thinking the Pens will win every game, let alone when they're so short manned. An AHL player is an AHL player for a reason, and right now we have a good few of them rostered.

I want .500 hockey from here on out if need be to get them healthy for what really counts. Four of our top 6 forwards are out. Two of our top four defensemen. When Tanner Glass is on Sid's wing, you just can't expect much, and they still almost tied the game on several opportunities.

I don't see it that way. I see a top six that is in constant shuffle mode with new faces every game, partly Bylsma partly injury. I see a team that has this far outperformed its roster with all of the injuries (405 games and counting) that's going to stumble here and there. A team that routinely struggles after long breaks (Saturday) and that gave up two power play goals to a good power play to start off Sunday. Fleury by all accounts was stellar in both games, only being pulled to send a wake up call. And I won't doubt Sid's leadership till his own players do. Not to mention leading a proverbial MASH unit to top of the East for the entire season until now. So I really think anyone trying to blame leadership from that angle is still just hating. We've heard that for years, even when they won the Cup.

I think accountability is an issue sometimes, in that Bortuzzo was directly responsible for your first two goals and Bylsma doesn't punish the kid. Now maybe that's why they're developing defensemen and not me, but I'd have sat him the rest of the first.

As for many of the other comments, we have our angry fans just like anyone else does. The team started to gel in the second and really were the more dominant team in both the second and third periods.

I'm not unrealistic in thinking the Pens will win every game, let alone when they're so short manned. An AHL player is an AHL player for a reason, and right now we have a good few of them rostered.

I want .500 hockey from here on out if need be to get them healthy for what really counts. Four of our top 6 forwards are out. Two of our top four defensemen. When Tanner Glass is on Sid's wing, you just can't expect much, and they still almost tied the game on several opportunities.

The wake up call should not have happened with the pulling of MAF. I agree he played well with no D in front of him. The wake up call should have been done as soon as the buzzer sounded after the game on Saturday. Agreed the Pens played much better in periods 2 and 3. I'm asking where was that effort in period number 1. As coach and captain it is your responsibility to make sure your team is ready to play at the drop of the puck. That simply did not happen. As you put it with a bunch of AHLers it is even more important to get their heads on straight. Part of the growing process. You see us bitch all the time how our team comes out flat to start games. Some will say it is the players responsibility to be ready for a game. Myself and others feel you need guidance from your veteran leadership and coach.

So my question to you is why do you think your team was flat to start Sunday's game? Whose repsponsibility do you think it is to make sure your team does not start out flat especially on the back end of a home and home with one of your rivals? Just curious.

The whole broadcast team are pro Pens anti Flyers.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Typically, Pierre is all over Sid's jock, but he was such a non-entity this weekend that it wasn't so bad.

Emerick drove me nuts with his thumb flipping through his thesaurus and using whatever word the flip fell on--whether it made sense in hockey or sports or anywhere else.

"He halibuts a fidgeted pass and spiritedly but geometrically clears the zone."   WHAT???

"Crosby knifes it forward to Glass who buntsedged it to the neutral zone."   WHAT???

"Pierre laps the schmegla as Crosby zips".   Okay, so that one made sense, but most of it was unintelligable

"Read jai alai's the puck out of the air..."

My brain hurts, Mister Gumby.

These are considered the top announcers in the US? Strader and Engblom are head and shoulders better as a team. Heck, give me the old ESPN crews. It's a shame that Pang and Clement are back to local broadcasts.

• Like 1

Hey as a left coast flyer fan who got to watch the game on Saturday ...jus want to throw my two cents in as I rely on you guys for my fix.

I really like raffl. He is a solid, skillful player.

Luke Schenn looked pretty damn good. Protected the puck and made nice passes. Fluke game or is he progressing?

Downie is a lost cause. Put raffl with coots and read.... Who both looked solid.

This was a massive weekend and I am proud of how the flyers responded . It gives me hope considering how much negativity has been coming off the board this season. Gotta give the chief some credit.

How did the flyers look in the third period on Sunday playing with a one goal game? Shut it down or nervous times?

The team started to gel in the second and really were the more dominant team in both the second and third periods.

Pitts won the 2nd period. The third was a split (imho). To late and too little. The bottom line is that the Pens did not show up for the first 15-20 (an affliction that the Flyers have too- on any given period). 

Pitts won the 2nd period. The third was a split (imho). To late and too little. The bottom line is that the Pens did not show up for the first 15-20 (an affliction that the Flyers have too- on any given period).

I agree they showed up 20 minutes late! But I also cut them some slack as they were without two more top six forwards this weekend and that takes adjustment. We're just devastated and its unreasonable to think Tanner Glass and Brian Gibbons can make up for Kunitz and Neal. It's going to take a few games I think.

The wake up call should not have happened with the pulling of MAF. I agree he played well with no D in front of him. The wake up call should have been done as soon as the buzzer sounded after the game on Saturday. Agreed the Pens played much better in periods 2 and 3. I'm asking where was that effort in period number 1. As coach and captain it is your responsibility to make sure your team is ready to play at the drop of the puck. That simply did not happen. As you put it with a bunch of AHLers it is even more important to get their heads on straight. Part of the growing process. You see us bitch all the time how our team comes out flat to start games. Some will say it is the players responsibility to be ready for a game. Myself and others feel you need guidance from your veteran leadership and coach.

So my question to you is why do you think your team was flat to start Sunday's game? Whose repsponsibility do you think it is to make sure your team does not start out flat especially on the back end of a home and home with one of your rivals? Just curious.

I think it wasn't a matter of preparedness. I think it was more a matter of AHL Bortuzzo missing his assignment (goal 1), then taking an extremely stupid penalty hitting Hartnell (goal 2). Then you have Malkin being stupid and Pyatt with an errant stick. It's awfully tough acclimating to new line mates (no Kunitz or Neal) when you're spending so much time killing penalties.

Once all the nonsense stopped they got on a roll and took over the second period. I felt they outplayed your boys in the third too, but found a couple posts and made some errant passes to nowhere as Crosby and Malkin expected someone to be there (Kunitz/Neal) but they weren't (Glass/Gibbons/Megna).

They came out hyped up from what I heard, but maybe too hyped up i.e. penalized.

"Read jai alai's the puck out of the air..."

My brain hurts, Mister Gumby.

These are considered the top announcers in the US? Strader and Engblom are head and shoulders better as a team. Heck, give me the old ESPN crews. It's a shame that Pang and Clement are back to local broadcasts.

Is it any wonder hockey isn't that popular in the US? If I had to grow up listening to Doc Emerik, I wouldn't like hockey.

Is it any wonder hockey isn't that popular in the US? If I had to grow up listening to Doc Emerik, I wouldn't like hockey.

Thank God the Flyers booted Emerik and brought Gene Hart back to TV!  I may have given up on hockey and turned to basketball! :ph34r:

Who here still misses Gene Hart! Raise your hand.

I don't, but only because I never heard him call the Flyers. By the time I started following hockey, It was already JJ and Dornhoeffer on TV. I think Saunders and Propp were on the radio. 

Anyone else remember Dornhoeffer's call after the 5OT Pens game? "Thank God it's over!"

• Like 1

Anyone else remember Dornhoeffer's call after the 5OT Pens game? "Thank God it's over!"

Geez, I remember that game like it was yesterday. I was scheduled to work from 6pm to 2am....so I missed some of the first 3 periods, but when it went to OT...my co-workers all pitched in and let me watch the all the OT, they all took turns covering my job so I was free to watch till the end...a very "Canadian" thing to do....lol. Astonishingly, the game was not over when our shift ended, (we closed shop a bit early...lol) and we all went to the bar to watch it. It was there where I saw Primeau end it...I'm forever in debt to those co-workers, to let me watch such a monumental moment in Flyers history. I don't work there anymore, but when I run into them, they all recall that special game, and everyone mobbing me when Kieth scored. It truly was awesome!

I don't, but only because I never heard him call the Flyers. By the time I started following hockey, It was already JJ and Dornhoeffer on TV. I think Saunders and Propp were on the radio. 

OMG yes!  I got like a total of 3 hrs of sleep that night before I went to work.....all time classic!

OMG yes!  I got like a total of 3 hrs of sleep that night before I went to work.....all time classic!

This game was well worth going into work sleep deprived, well worth it!  It was funny, after the 3rd OT, the game really degenerated. For the first time I can ever recall, the puck would get dumped in the corner and just lay there, the players were to tired to make a play on it!!  That short burst of energy was literally all Kieth could muster....if he missed that shot and did not score, he may have collapsed right there and then.....LOL!