pilldoc

Philadelphia Flyers (33-24-6--72pts)
AT
Toronto Maple Leafs (33-23-8--74pts)
TIME: 7 p.m.  I  TV: CSN 
RADIO: 97.5 The Fanatic

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=708462&navid=DL|PHI|home

1. RIDING THE WAVE
The Flyers are currently riding a three-game winning streak in which they have scored 15 goals in that stretch… They have also won seven of their last eight games - in that span, the Flyers have recorded an average of 3.75 goals-per-game, while Steve Mason has made seven of the eight starts in net, posting a 6-1-0 record with a 2.54 GAA & .915 save pct… The Maple Leafs come into tonight's game earning at least a point in the standings in five of their last six games, going 3-1-2, and earning a point in 15 of their last 18 games dating back to Jan. 12, going 12-3-3… The Flyers sit in second place in the Metropolitan Division while Toronto is in third place in the Atlantic Division.

2. THE MATCH UP
Tonight is the second of three meetings and first and only meeting of the regular season at Toronto… The two teams have not met since opening night for the Flyers on Oct. 2 (a span of 156 days) when the Maple Leafs walked away with a 3-1 win… The Flyers have won six of their last seven meetings at the Air Canada Centre dating back to the 2009-10 season…The Flyers and Maple Leafs wrap up the season series in Philadelphia on Mar. 28… Maple Leafs forward Dave Bolland had two goals in their 3-1 win this season and has five points (3g-2a) in five career games against the Flyers… Vincent Lecavalier averages over a point per game against Toronto with 53 points (22g-31a) in 51 career games, while Kimmo Timonen has 14 points, all of them assists, in 29 career games against the Leafs.

3. THIS, THAT & THE OTHER
The Flyers have now scored at least a goal in the third period in 11 straight games, posting 19 goals in that stretch, and are second in the NHL for most goals scored in the third period (73)… The Flyers have the NHL's 3rd best power play on the road at 25.2 percent (29-for-115) and the Maple Leafs have the NHL's worst penalty-kill on home-ice, killing off 75 percent opportunities… Toronto does, however, have the NHL's 2nd best power play on home ice at 26.5 percent (26-for-98) and the 4th overall power play in the League operating at 21 percent (42-for-200)… Each team's leading scorer were taken in the first round in the same draft year - 2006 (Kessel: 5th & Giroux: 22nd)… Toronto is tied for the NHL lead with the most shootout wins, going 9-4 this season.

4. Player to watch FLYERS: Claude Giroux (C: 28)
Hard to look past the Flyers captain after he has seven points in his last three games, including two goals and an assist in each of his last two games… He also has 14 points (7g-7a) in his last eight contests… In his last three games on the road, Giroux averages nearly three points per-game with eight points (4g-4a) in victories at Los Angeles, San Jose and Washington… Since Dec. 11, Giroux continues to lead the NHL in scoring with 44 points in 33 games… Overall he is tied for eighth in the NHL with 64 points (23g-41a) in 63 games… Against the Maple Leafs, Giroux has 16 points (5g-11a) in 18 career games.

5. Player to watch MAPLE LEAFS: Phil Kessel (RW: 81)
Kessel is tied for second in the NHL in scoring with 70 points (33g-37a) through 64 games with his 33 goals ranking third among all NHL players… He is one of three players (ANH: Perry & SJ: Pavelski) in the NHL with at least 30 goals and 30 assists on the season… He has scored at least a point in nine of his last 11 games, recording seven multi-point games in that span, and posting 18 points (7g-12a) in his last 11 games… Kessel is one of two players on the Leafs (Mason Raymond) to have appeared in all 64 games for Toronto so far this season… Although the USA did not medal, Kessel tied for the Olympic Games lead in goals (5) and points (8) in the tournament… Against the Flyers, Kessel has 12 points (4g-8a) in 26 career games, including a goal in the only meeting this season

===============================================================================================

hope to see everyone in Game Chat tonight! :)

Should be a dandy of a game.  I know have been one of those this season who have been highly critical of this team...especially when it comes to the play of the Blue Line.  However, this team has been playing well the last several games and they need to keep that up. (Though I did not like the way the Caps made a game of it the other night)

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I can't wait till game time....this should be a good game also may see some fireworks with these two. I will once again have my eyes glued to their new defense man.

I have a feeling they are going to shell the Leafs tonight...please keep JVR off the score board it seems the Schenn/JVR trade crap has died down some and i'd like to keep it that way i'm tired of it....really so the only thing to kick it up again would be JVR scoring or having a good game so this is to him having a crappy game...CHEERS holding up my coffee mug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:  

@flyercanuck

I agree FC.  Thought it is too early to start talking must win games, IMO, this would classify as one such game.  We all knew the Caps are hurting right now despite have OV.  So this is a good measuring stick for this team, especially against a good netminder if the Laffs choose to start Bernier.  I expect a very physical game and special teams, IMO, will make a difference.  As stated in the article, the Flyers are very good on the PP when away and the Laffs suck at home when on PK.  No matter how you slice and dice it this is a good measuring stick.  The Laffs have been ahead the Flyers in points for the entire season.  There is now only 2 points separating the 2 teams.  Like I said...should be a dany of a game. 

As stated in the article, the Flyers are very good on the PP when away and the Laffs suck at home when on PK

Yes but the Flyers need to play smart hockey and stay out of the box themselves, Flyers PK hasn't played well as of late either and they need to work on that.

This last game verse the Caps none of the 4 goals they gave up came at 5 on 5 play.....3 were PP scores and the other came 4 on 4 so it's good news they are playing well 5 on 5 they still have work to do on special teams. STAY OUT OF THE BOX!!! HARTNELL ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes but the Flyers need to play smart hockey and stay out of the box themselves, Flyers PK hasn't played well as of late either and they need to work on that.

This last game verse the Caps none of the 4 goals they gave up came at 5 on 5 play.....3 were PP scores and the other came 4 on 4 so it's good news they are playing well 5 on 5 they still have work to do on special teams. STAY OUT OF THE BOX!!! HARTNELL ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGREED!  and that goes for Downie too!!!!!!!

AGREED!  and that goes for Downie too!!!!!!!

I want to see more clean checks like we saw in the last Caps game from Zac man he was brutal they were just teeing off on Mike Green and it effected his play. I want to see Coots and them take out their punishment on JVR and Kessel tonight....but keep it clean and stay ou the box....keep the Leafs 5 on 5 were they struggle.

Like this....

more, more we want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to believe how little the difference between the Leafs and Flyers pp. The Leafs are 4th in the league with 21.0% and the Flyers are 14th at 20.2 %....not much separating them there.  Much like fc, it SUCKS living in Ontario and having the Leafs top the Flyers, you hear about it seemingly forever.

Official prediction....

Flyers 5  Leafs 2

Voarachek with the hatty and singles to Cooter and MacDaddy.

Hard to believe how little the difference between the Leafs and Flyers pp. The Leafs are 4th in the league with 21.0% and the Flyers are 14th at 20.2 %....not much separating them there.  Much like fc, it SUCKS living in Ontario and having the Leafs top the Flyers, you hear about it seemingly forever.

Official prediction....

Flyers 5  Leafs 2

Voarachek with the hatty and singles to Cooter and MacDaddy.

Agreed Jammer and FC, it sucks living in Ontario and having to listen to Leafs fans when they beat the Flyers but Mason rebounded well from a shaky first 5 minutes of the game to give the Flyers a chance to take it to overtime. It's pretty bad when all of the offense tonight came from the defensemen.

Would really like to see this team be focussed for 60 minutes. How many times do they have to have naps to realize they are not good enough to sleep through the first 5 minutes of a game. Can you say leadership?

It's not a leadership void, Every team has ups and downs, from game to game and within games...I think this is a flawed opinion,
and am weary of seeing it typed. The other team has NHL players too, (except maybe Buffalo & Vancouver at the moment ) that are capable of effecting the outcome of the run of play as well as ours can.

EDIT:

I'm going to expand on this a little.  Lack of leadership would then dictate that after falling behind / playing poorly for a stretch (time in a game/ games in the season) we would then see the team running around taking bad penalties and a general lack of discipline and accountability. And we don't see that, at least i don't very often... this group keeps working, hardly ever thinks they're out of a game.  They do take penalties , i find many to be either questionable/reputation calls or the kinds of penalties that prevent a breakaway or 2-0 vs the goalie so.  I think the group is growing together in a good way, I think the young guys are learning where they fit, and I include the youngish first time captain in that group.

Edited by mojo1917