SloppY Win: Poor D, Mason Inconsistent, No Killer Instinct...?

Howie58

Greetings:

I found myself strangely detached from tonight's win. Yes, the O looked good. But instead of putting this sucker away they almost coughed up a loss. I am wondering if Mason is as alert as he possible. His awareness after a save seems impaired. The D is spaced.  I think Voracek saved the win by keeping the momentum.  A win is a win but this was almost a reversal of last Sunday.

Peace, and I am glad Homer kept the core together...at least for now.

Howie

@Howie58

It was almost the reverse of Sunday. I thought the whole team looked great for almost two periods. Giroux was on a mission from the opening faceoff. Once they went up 4 though, they started playing lazy uninspired hockey. And it almost came back and bit them in the arse. An elite team would have.

• Like 1

The fact that the Flyers are always leading (or close to it) the league in PIM and minors is baffling.

Under Berube, we lead the league (15.6 pims/game)

Under Laviolette we led the league a few times, and the year of the Cup run (2010) we were 2nd at 16.6 pims/game.

Different coach, and only 4 of the same players. Same result.

Under Stevens in 2007 we were 3rd in the league with 17.9 pims/game (leader was 18.1 pims/game).

In Hitch's first year (2002) after taking over from Barber, the Flyers were one of the least penalized teams, but then in his second year, we were one of the most penalized again (5th most pims/game).

Different coaches, completely different squads, same result.

Can anyone explain it? Is it just the Broad Street Bully mentality? Or is there something else? Two of those coaches were from outside of the organization, two of them from within. 

I say that because I keep hearing - over many many years now - about how the Flyers need to cut down on penalties, play a more disciplined game, blah blah blah, yet nothing changes, regardless of coach or players on the ice.

What's really going on?

I think some untimely penalties turned the game around. I am pretty sure Downie took one of them.

I really can't believe that Chief keeps putting Downie out there. I thought after his double minor in the last game he would be benched. Now he takes another bad penalty in the next game.

Two points is two points and against a division rival at this stage of the season they are important.

19 to go and the Flyers are sitting pretty in a playoff position. If they play like the first two periods last night they have a great shot. If they play like they did in the third, they're toast.

I really can't believe that Chief keeps putting Downie out there. I thought after his double minor in the last game he would be benched. Now he takes another bad penalty in the next game.

Two points is two points and against a division rival at this stage of the season they are important.

19 to go and the Flyers are sitting pretty in a playoff position. If they play like the first two periods last night they have a great shot. If they play like they did in the third, they're toast.

I agree. It's time to sit him  and try and get him to play a motivated game again. Unless he's working his arse off, he's not much value to anyone.

@brelic

I say that because I keep hearing - over many many years now - about how the Flyers need to cut down on penalties, play a more disciplined game, blah blah blah, yet nothing changes, regardless of coach or players on the ice.
What's really going on?

Reputation????? :ph34r:  :ph34r:

@brelic

Reputation????? :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Oh c'mon! That was almost 40 years ago. It's pretty sad if that 'reputation' is still affecting the entire team. I can understand individual players like Rinaldo, Downie, etc. But an entire team because of a reputation that happened when most of the refs were either toddlers or not even alive yet?

The fact that the Flyers are always leading (or close to it) the league in PIM and minors is baffling.

Under Berube, we lead the league (15.6 pims/game)

Under Laviolette we led the league a few times, and the year of the Cup run (2010) we were 2nd at 16.6 pims/game.

Different coach, and only 4 of the same players. Same result.

Under Stevens in 2007 we were 3rd in the league with 17.9 pims/game (leader was 18.1 pims/game).

In Hitch's first year (2002) after taking over from Barber, the Flyers were one of the least penalized teams, but then in his second year, we were one of the most penalized again (5th most pims/game).

Different coaches, completely different squads, same result.

Can anyone explain it? Is it just the Broad Street Bully mentality? Or is there something else? Two of those coaches were from outside of the organization, two of them from within. 

What's really going on?

Howdy:  Excellent point and I suspect you answer your own question. The emphasis on "toughness"  is translated into stupid penalties.  

Peace,

Howie