Update on Morin

flyercanuck

I mentioned in another thread I'd asked about Morins development on a QMJHL site and the response was he's fairly inconsistent.

Here's an update from HockeysFuture on the Flyers 1st round pick, who's now 6'7" and 210 lbs and the highest rated defenceman in the Q.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/103697/morin-tops-list-of-nhl-drafted-defenders-in-the-qmjhl/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=morin-tops-list-of-nhl-drafted-defenders-in-the-qmjhl

1. Samuel Morin, Rimouski Oceanic
Drafted in the 1st round (11th overall) in 2013 by the Philadelphia Flyers

Samuel Morin appears to have all the qualities to succeed as a defenseman at the next level. First and foremost is his size; at 210 pounds, he is just beginning to fill out his 6'7” frame. He does not shy away from putting those physical tools to work on the ice, where he is a punishing hitter. In addition to his play in the defensive zone, Morin's mobility makes him a dangerous option in the offensive end, as well.

He has already set career highs in scoring production this season with six goals, including four power-play markers and 23 points. But Morin's third season in the QMJHL has not been entirely rosy. After struggling with injuries in the second half of his draft year, the injury bug has struck again this season with Morin only appearing in 39 of Rimouski's 51 games so far this season. Staying healthy hasn't been the only concern for the St-Henri, Quebec native though, as he has been suspended on three separate occasions this season for a total of five games. Most recently, he was fined and suspended for two games after an incident that saw him throw his stick into the stands, where it struck a fan.

Despite these bumps, the Philadelphia Flyers have every reason to be excited about the development of the 18-year-old. While they will need to be patient as he continues to develop and put the different pieces of his game together, Morin's potential remains high. The Flyers have already signed Morin to an entry-level contract, but he is eligible to return to junior hockey next fall.

Most recently, he was fined and suspended for two games after an incident that saw him throw his stick into the stands, where it struck a fan.

So, how exactly do they *fine* an Junior player? I realize they (players) receive some sort of a stipend, but do they recieve enough to pay fines?

NOTE: I avoided the word "pay" so as not to consider a Junior player as a professional.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Well, he didn't exactly throw his stick into the stands. He smashed it on the glass and it broke, half flying into the crowd.

One of the thinks I like about Morin is his compete level...he hates to lose. But he also has to learn to control that. I'm not sure how you fine a junior, likely the team gets the fine.

I mentioned in another thread I'd asked about Morins development on a QMJHL site and the response was he's fairly inconsistent.

And for most this had to be expected he is still a kid finding his way, remember he has a late birthday and almost had to slide to this upcoming 2014 draft.

I remember what it was like to be young and hot headed was around the first time i made the mistake and thinking i was grown and could take my dad in fight, well let's put it this way he put me in my place. :D

So i imagine he is dealing with some pressure of trying to show he is a tough guy as a broad street bully prospect he'll figure it out if given more time.

Good to hear he's put on some weight and grown an inch. Now best thing the Flyers can do is let him continue to develop and send him back for his 4th year.

The scary part with the Flyers and how Homer wheels and deals i hope they don't force him before he is ready.

Edited by OccamsRazor

When you're 18 and 6'7", I'd expect inconsistency. Ya, I hope they're very patient with this kid.

Yes that is a nice frame to be able to pack some more muscle on. He could easily add 10-15 pounds once he he is finally up on the BIG team.

Given the time he surely needs about 10 more to handle the rigors of the NHL. Homer does his homework this kid will certainly be given his 4th year to continue to grow. Yet Morin already has played more junior games than Morgan Reilly did, though so that is a plus.

And with his inconsistency, to me that shows he isn't ready but is getting close with his size i think yo'll know when he is ready when he looks way more dominate verse the talent he is playing with.

Like Laughton has looked many times this season. Then he'll be ready for the jump.

Flyers though i think need to encourage Hagg to come over and start the NA style process with the Phantoms...at least that is my opinion.

He is mature enough to handle that. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

And yes, hopefully Hagg comes over to the A next season.

I certainly think he can handle it and if he does that just means he'll be closer to getting ready for the BIG squad one day but he needs some time to adjust to the smaller rink and that style of playing.

How long time will tell.