Trade Deadline: Board Take on our Moves?

Howie58

Downie (UFA) -no- trade at or before the deadline.

B. Schenn (RFA) - yes-sign to a nice 2-3 year bridge deal like G signed.

Raffl (RFA) - yes-1 or 2 year for about 1 mill-making-790k now

Hall (UFA) - yes-on the fence kinda but i say a 1 year deal for about 700K-making 600k now.

Kimmo (UFA) - yes-1yr, $4M-5mill tops

Mez (UFA) - no-trade at deadline

Gus (RFA) - yes-1-2 yr 1.5mill or a nice bridge deal he only has two years till he is 27 and a UFA.

Gill (UFA) - no-trade him if you can...but something tells me they will keep him.

Emery (UFA) - no-find a cheaper option my choice even before they signed Emery was Khudobin and would still like him if the Canes let him go. He is only signed this year for 800k all he has done this year was go....12-4 927% 2.16 gaa....that would be big boost here. If not Griess from the Yotes or even...gulp give Heeter a chance at it???????????

Anyways i'm done GMing...howd i do am i fired?????????????????????????????

Occam:

I think you should submit your resume to Homer for appointment as Vice President of Personnel Development....and a no-trade, no-fire clause in your contract.

Peace,

Howie

P.S. Giving Heeter a shot might be an important signal that we can begin to grow our own in a position we perpetually trade for or get via free agency.

• Like 1

I think you should submit your resume to Homer for appointment as Vice President of Personnel Development....and a no-trade, no-fire clause in your contract.

I'm not cheap though..but i won't require a NTC or NMC cause i'm confident i turn this club around and if not i'm ok with being held accountable....just give me a shot shoot Snider a Email with your recommendation....i'll catch the next flight out.  ;)

We

I'm not cheap though..but i won't require a NTC or NMC cause i'm confident i turn this club around and if not i'm ok with being held accountable....just give me a shot shoot Snider a Email with your recommendation....i'll catch the next flight out.  ;)

If I had an e-mail I would do so....

I think it's clear they won't be able to find a top paring d-man on the trade market.  At least not unless it's for a huge package of picks and talent. Which, unless it's Shea Weber, let's just let Morin, Ghost, Hagg develop.  

That said, I'm not sure it makes sense to pursue a depth defenseman, especially because we already have so many.  And hey, MAB might be called up soon.  3 points in 5 games since his comeback, always could skate, make smart decisions, check. Last thing we need is to give up assets for yet another bottom four dman.  And the pairings seem to be coming together--Schenn has shown he can be an effective (albeit slow-footed, tentative with the puck, poor positioned) physical stay at home defender if he's paired with someone like Gus.  The defense obviously needs work in order to compete for the cup, but that problem is not going to get solved by the deadline. 

So, I think the target might be a young scoring winger for G and Voracek--if they can get one.  Trading some combination of Hartnell/Read/Downie/Mez/Grossmann/Cousins/et al. could yield some significant return.  

So, I think the target might be a young scoring winger for G and Voracek--if they can get one.  Trading some combination of Hartnell/Read/Downie/Mez/Grossmann/Cousins/et al. could yield some significant return.  

Agreed on a winger for G/Jake.  This is the #1 priority in my mind.  Those two have chemistry.  Add a third and that line is a threat every shift.

Flyers have a stock pile of young d-men.  Let them develop.

I don't agree with trading Matt Read.  Some disagree but I think those players that have a high hockey IQ, consistently contribute and can play on any line - those are the players that keep playoff runs alive.

• Like 1

Over the last 2-3 seasons there have been some good young defensemen drafted in the first round by other teams who are high in potential but not proven. I think those are  the kind of defenseman we have to target. There has to be a team that has a few good defenseman in their system but need a center.So  a fair trade might be Laugton to Edmonton for Klefbom or Nurse..or Ristolainen from Buffalo. What we want to do is trade our top prospect for another teams top defensive prospect. 

• Like 2

Over the last 2-3 seasons there have been some good young defensemen drafted in the first round by other teams who are high in potential but not proven. I think those are  the kind of defenseman we have to target. There has to be a team that has a few good defenseman in their system but need a center.So  a fair trade might be Laugton to Edmonton for Klefbom or Nurse..or Ristolainen from Buffalo. What we want to do is trade our top prospect for another teams top defensive prospect. 

Heck, I wish Laughton were skating with the Flyers right now.

@RonJeremy - I don't think Laughton alone will get you either Nurse or Ristolainen. Both of those guys project as top pairing defensemen while Laughton's ceiling is probably 2nd line center. I think the Flyers would have to set their sights a little lower unless they want to give up roster players and/or high draft picks.

@JackStraw

And I doubt the Oilers want to move a legit bluechip defensive prospect when it is exactly what that team is sorely lacking.

Buffalo on the other hand has Ristolainen, Zadorov, McCabe, Pysyk, McNabb...probably the best prospect pool in the league when it comes to D.

• Like 1

@JackStraw

And I doubt the Oilers want to move a legit bluechip defensive prospect when it is exactly what that team is sorely lacking.

Buffalo on the other hand has Ristolainen, Zadorov, McCabe, Pysyk, McNabb...probably the best prospect pool in the league when it comes to D.

That sounds almost ... too ... I don't know, forward-thinking.

The last thing we need around here is a fresh perspective.

But, that would be awesome if the Flyers were actually forward-thinking enough to trade a prospect from a position of strength for a prospect that addresses a need.

@brelic

Since we have Giroux, Schenn, VLC, Couturier, Laughton and everyone else who grew up playing center, it would only make sense to try and work out a deal for one of these guys from Buffalo.

Of course that means Homer will trade Simmonds, Voracek, Morin and a 1st to Pittsburgh for Letang and his $60 million contract.

Since we have Giroux, Schenn, VLC, Couturier, Laughton and everyone else who grew up playing center, it would only make sense to try and work out a deal for one of these guys from Buffalo.

Stop it! You're making too much sense! ;)

Of course that means Homer will trade Simmonds, Voracek, Morin and a 1st to Pittsburgh for Letang and his $60 million contract.

Ugh, I would puke.

@brelic

Those five go down to three:  Laughton or Couturier or Schenn.    

If Laughton or Schenn get it done, do it.  If you need a kicker, Gus.

If it's Couturier, Homer gets Ristolainen

I don't agree with trading Matt Read. Some disagree but I think those players that have a high hockey IQ, consistently contribute and can play on any line - those are the players that keep playoff runs alive.

I'm with you. I'm a big Read fan.  I just threw him in thinking he would be a piece that could be sacrificed in a package for an Evander Kane or Eberle. 

If someone wants to rent Timmo and he's willing I'd dish.

Could probably get decent return for mezaros at this point, but I kinda don't want to trade him.

Everyone wants a scoring winger for G and jake,but who is gonna want to sell one for a rental d man?

Maybe for a youthful forward (mcGinn?) but who else is to spare. I want to keep them and let them grow.

For an amazing deal I could say goodbye to most, but trading Guroux, jake, Coots,Wayne, or coburn would be a mistake. Yes coburn. Everyone hates him but he plays more than anyone on the team. There's no d man to replace him.

The defensive zone coverage *has* to improve.

Will the Flyers sign this guy?

Do they have to sign him before june or lose his rights?

He is playing in the KHL at 19.

He's the one doing the the hitting....Valeri Vasiliev

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123080

Slot him on the Phantoms if he'll come over.

Edited by OccamsRazor