Trade Deadline: Board Take on our Moves?

Howie58

Greetings:

I reckoned Super Bowl Sunday warranted speculation on the Flyers' at the trade deadline...would rather focus on a puck than on two teams I don't frankly care about one way or the other. 

FYI, if I believe the Puck Daddy, this has been one of the quietest trading years to date--only 13 when there would normally be about 20. You have to reckon that the Olympics has played a role, as does the short-term cap constriction this year.

OK, I am not going to put myself in Homer's shoes.  But if I did, what might go through my mind:

1) With the cap going up next year, salary dumping is not as important as prior years;

2) My farm club is mediocre at best and as others have pointed out, doesn't seem particularly gifted with the exception of Heeter.  Our recent defensive drafts may be too early in their trajectories to make heads or tails of them;

3) My forward corps is strong but my D is aging and slow; good D-men will be hard to acquire via free-agency.  

Where does this lead me?

A) Emery may be trade-bait--some team may give a second rounder to have a solid 1A goalie on hand. I doubt he wants to live in Emery's shadow.

B) While I would hate to lose him, I wonder if Read is a candidate.  Moderate cap hit for a versatile player.  Raffl may be seen as a cheaper substitute.

C) Luke Schenn is packaged with minor leagues or low-round drafts for a second rounder.  He is not mobile but he is physical. He might fetch something.

D) Raffl's success reinforces this franchise's belief that it can acquire solid players outside of the draft (Read, correct)?

E) Timmonen or Mesz might be moved for different reasons--the former might want a chance to play for a Cup contender before hanging up his skates; the latter may be dumped to a team willing to take a chance of his rehab.  Either might fetch a second or third rounder. 

Bottom line: I think Homer is relatively quiet. We stand to get a fair-to-middlin pick on the first round. I don't see big changes.  Of course, tomorrow Homer will probably dump half the squad.

Any takers?

Best,

Howie

Wouldn't bother me If anyone on the defense is moved. I cant see Homer packaging players or picks with Luke for a 2nd rounder, that's a very large admittion. IMO it would have to be a 1st to be somewhat acceptable. Read stays unless someone overpays bigtime. I think one of, Brayden Schenn, Voracek or Simmonds gets traded.

@  I just don't think a 1st rounder is feasible return for Luke the Fluke. This is where the Flyers will have to swallow their collective pride and get this stiff the hell off the team. They screwed up, man up and take your medicine. The defensive zone coverage *has* to improve. Moving Luke would go a long way to helping that cause. I'd settle for an unproven prospect and call it a day. 

• Like 1

no way Luke gets you a first rounder.  I would be happy w/ a 2 for Fluke Schenn.

If they trade Simmonds I will literally jump ship from being a lifelong Flyers fan.  The guy gives you his best every night and has a VERY GOOD CONTRACT.  There is no reason to trade him whatsoever...

no way Luke gets you a first rounder.  I would be happy w/ a 2 for Fluke Schenn.

If they trade Simmonds I will literally jump ship from being a lifelong Flyers fan.  The guy gives you his best every night and has a VERY GOOD CONTRACT.  There is no reason to trade him whatsoever...

I don't see the Flyers trading Simmonds for anything short of an insane overpayment.

I also wouldn't be looking to trade Luke. I would rather see them move both Meszaros and Grossman. I like Grossman for what he is but he is just worthless with the puck on his stick. And one of the slowest players I've ever seen. Mesz gives you offensive flashes but is a disaster waiting to happen in his own zone. Schenn is fine with the right partner on D. If you can upgrade Mesz and Grossman there is room for Schenn on the roster as a shutdown, physical d-man.

@  I just don't think a 1st rounder is feasible return for Luke the Fluke. This is where the Flyers will have to swallow their collective pride and get this stiff the hell off the team. They screwed up, man up and take your medicine. The defensive zone coverage *has* to improve. Moving Luke would go a long way to helping that cause. I'd settle for an unproven prospect and call it a day. 

I agree if it was just him alone. The proposal was Luke and picks/prospects I believe. For Luke alone, If I were an opposing GM, I wouldn't even give a 2nd

Edited by ZezelTop25

The defensive zone coverage *has* to improve.

It has since he has been playing with Gus. He looked way better last year when he played will Ollie. He is what he is a top 4 with a solid player. Give it some more time.

I'm not saying i wouldn't move but for the right deal. I would concentrate on moving Mezz and Downie.

That is about it, other maybe at or before the draft. Would love to maybe pry a #3 off someone maybe if the deal is right. Hell Mezz and Downie for a Dman.

To me, there is absolutely no point in squeaking into the playoffs, only to get knocked out in the first round. We do not have the leadership, consistency or defense to get far  in the playoffs. Timmo can never survive a long physical series. Sometimes its better to take 2 steps back in order to take a step forward. So the Flyers should be sellers at the deadline.

When you make a trade at the deadline , teams are bidding against each other for that final piece to the Cup, you get a much better return than if you made the same trade in the offseason.

To me these are the guys we look to trade...and Hartnell gets us the best return for sure ,since we are not trading G, Simmonds, Voracek ,etc

Hartnell -playoff bound teams would love a warrior like Hartnell, he is made for playoff hockey, there are not all that many physical wingers with a scoring touch out there.

Timmo- many teams would love a seasoned veteran like Timmo for the playoffs

VLC- not sure if we can dump his big contract, but we have to hope for a key  injury  to another team and they may be desperate.

Streit- its a longshot but worth a try, again we have to hope for an injury on defense

One of our young centers  Schenn, Coots or Laughton for a top young upcoming defenseman.

As much as everyone wants to dump Luke Schenn and Mez, we really can afford to dump too many defenseman

To me, there is absolutely no point in squeaking into the playoffs, only to get knocked out in the first round. We do not have the leadership, consistency or defense to get far  in the playoffs. Timmo can never survive a long physical series. Sometimes its better to take 2 steps back in order to take a step forward. So the Flyers should be sellers at the deadline.

When you make a trade at the deadline , teams are bidding against each other for that final piece to the Cup, you get a much better return than if you made the same trade in the offseason.

To me these are the guys we look to trade...and Hartnell gets us the best return for sure ,since we are not trading G, Simmonds, Voracek ,etc

Hartnell -playoff bound teams would love a warrior like Hartnell, he is made for playoff hockey, there are not all that many physical wingers with a scoring touch out there.

Timmo- many teams would love a seasoned veteran like Timmo for the playoffs

VLC- not sure if we can dump his big contract, but we have to hope for a key  injury  to another team and they may be desperate.

Streit- its a longshot but worth a try, again we have to hope for an injury on defense

One of our young centers  Schenn, Coots or Laughton for a top young upcoming defenseman.

As much as everyone wants to dump Luke Schenn and Mez, we really can afford to dump too many defenseman

Greetings:

Thoughtful post Sir Ron.  I never pondered Hartnell but he might get some sniffs. Mez is a strange one to assess. The trade-off between talent and injury-magnet/prone is well...tough. I might keep him but nowhere near what he's getting now..  

Best,

Howie

I'd trade Vinny if at all possible. Hell, he was even quoted in an article today saying he's never played his current position before, he's not comfortable, and he's trying to adjust.

Only the Flyers would sign a Stanley Cup-winning 14 year NHL veteran in his 30s to a huge 5 year contract and play him out of position.

Trading Vinny and Timo together might get you a nice return. I'm thinking Montreal would be a good fit for Vinny. We'll take Subban, please ;)

@brelic

Only the Flyers would sign a Stanley Cup winning 14 year NHL veteran center in his 30s to a huge 5 year contract when center is the last position we need help at. The lack of a plan that goes toward building this team is mindboggling.

And if Holmgren turns the 2nd overall pick into a 2nd rounder he should be fired....among other reasons....

• Like 1

And if Holmgren turns the 2nd overall pick into a 2nd rounder he should be fired....among other reasons....

Absolutely.

The problem with trading L Schenn right now is that his value is at an all time low. He's been benched a few times this season, and is not playing with consistency.

I agree with what some others have said that he can/will be a fine 2nd pairing defenseman with the right partner.

Was that worth a 2nd overall pick? Not a chance. But that's what we're left with now.

I don't see the Flyers trading Simmonds for anything short of an insane overpayment.

I also wouldn't be looking to trade Luke. I would rather see them move both Meszaros and Grossman. I like Grossman for what he is but he is just worthless with the puck on his stick. And one of the slowest players I've ever seen. Mesz gives you offensive flashes but is a disaster waiting to happen in his own zone. Schenn is fine with the right partner on D. If you can upgrade Mesz and Grossman there is room for Schenn on the roster as a shutdown, physical d-man.

I agree Jack.

IMO he is the most consitent player on the Team.  Even when he goes into goal droughts he helps the Team w/ his play.  He is hands down my favorite Flyer on this Team and think he is just a solid player - and his contract is good!  It was good to see him wearing the A against the Kings.

If anything would happen to G I would consider him my choice of C

Absolutely.

The problem with trading L Schenn right now is that his value is at an all time low. He's been benched a few times this season, and is not playing with consistency.

I agree with what some others have said that he can/will be a fine 2nd pairing defenseman with the right partner.

Was that worth a 2nd overall pick? Not a chance. But that's what we're left with now.

I could care less what we get back from Schenn honestly.  Chalk it up to a loss and move on...

Agree 100% with RJ...no sense sneaking into the playoffs and getting swept out of the 1st round. I would rather see this team sell off some of the veterans for some assets. 

If Hartnell and Timmo were willing to waive their NTCs,  I would love to package them to a contender for something. Think we can net a return of a solid defenseman prospect and a #1 pick? 

I don't think trading Mez gets you anything more than a 4th or 5th round pick in return but I would think moving Grossman can get you a decent pick (#2 ?) or solid prospect. Unfortunately, Luke has no value right now...I would happily include him in any deal to sweeten the pot for a nice player but I think the Flyers give him one more year on the team before they cut their losses with him.

I also think that B. Schenn or Coots get traded in the off-season in a package for the defenseman that this team covets...I can see Yandle of Big Buff in orange and black next year. 

Agree 100% with RJ...no sense sneaking into the playoffs and getting swept out of the 1st round. I would rather see this team sell off some of the veterans for some assets. 

If Hartnell and Timmo were willing to waive their NTCs,  I would love to package them to a contender for something. Think we can net a return of a solid defenseman prospect and a #1 pick? 

I don't think trading Mez gets you anything more than a 4th or 5th round pick in return but I would think moving Grossman can get you a decent pick (#2 ?) or solid prospect. Unfortunately, Luke has no value right now...I would happily include him in any deal to sweeten the pot for a nice player but I think the Flyers give him one more year on the team before they cut their losses with him.

I also think that B. Schenn or Coots get traded in the off-season in a package for the defenseman that this team covets...I can see Yandle of Big Buff in orange and black next year. 

Where does Homer sign?  I am not sure Kimmo and Hartnell would get you a first honestly.  Yandle is not the answer to this defense and he is a turnover machine.  Buff - I hope not but I can really see this happening.   I think Buff is the next dman in O&B

• Like 1

I was kidding about Vinny and Timo getting Subban, but they might be able to get you Beaulieu. Timo would surely waive his NMC to have a more realistic shot at a Cup, and Vinny might consider it too seeing it is the Habs. They have a better window over the next 2-3 years than we do.

I'd be happy with Beaulieu.

I was kidding about Vinny and Timo getting Subban, but they might be able to get you Beaulieu. Timo would surely waive his NMC to have a more realistic shot at a Cup, and Vinny might consider it too seeing it is the Habs. They have a better window over the next 2-3 years than we do.

I concur... that would be a good trade for both sides.  Get it done Brel!

Beaulieu would be a nice option...another interesting player would be Tidordi. He's a project, but any kid who is 6'6 with a legit mean streak would be worth looking into. I think he's one of those big bodies who is still adjusting to his last growth spurt.

After last night's game in SJ I think "addition by subtraction" may help this team.  Simply let the youngins step up and let the old-timers fade away. Seriously, we played our best defensive effort of the year without Timonen and with Gus.  As some have said, playing the youngins last year had positive results.

Best,

Howie

Where does this lead me?

Downie (UFA) -no- trade at or before the deadline.

B. Schenn (RFA) - yes-sign to a nice 2-3 year bridge deal like G signed.

Raffl (RFA) - yes-1 or 2 year for about 1 mill-making-790k now

Hall (UFA) - yes-on the fence kinda but i say a 1 year deal for about 700K-making 600k now.

Kimmo (UFA) - yes-1yr, $4M-5mill tops

Mez (UFA) - no-trade at deadline

Gus (RFA) - yes-1-2 yr 1.5mill or a nice bridge deal he only has two years till he is 27 and a UFA.

Gill (UFA) - no-trade him if you can...but something tells me they will keep him.

Emery (UFA) - no-find a cheaper option my choice even before they signed Emery was Khudobin and would still like him if the Canes let him go. He is only signed this year for 800k all he has done this year was go....12-4 927% 2.16 gaa....that would be big boost here. If not Griess from the Yotes or even...gulp give Heeter a chance at it???????????

Anyways i'm done GMing...howd i do am i fired?????????????????????????????

Edited by OccamsRazor