Flyers / Boston - Gus IN?

hf101

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who sits in the Press Box against Boston?

• Luke Schenn
    • Steve Downie
    • Other?

Kudos to Berube again for not waiting long before creating change when certain players need a wake-up. 

Tim P. is reporting that Berube is likely to play Gustafsson against Boston.  Apparently he has been healthy for a couple of weeks now, however because the team was winning Gus had to wait.

So if Gus plays who sits?

L Schenn for the second time??

or play 7 d and sit Downie?

Kudos to Berube again for not waiting long before creating change when certain players need a wake-up. 

Tim P. is reporting that Berube is likely to play Gustafsson against Boston.  Apparently he has been healthy for a couple of weeks now, however because the team was winning Gus had to wait.

So if Gus plays who sits?

L Schenn for the second time??

or play 7 d and sit Downie?

I'd be ok with Downie but I would sit Mezz put Gus back in. Or sit Mezz for even Gill. This blueline needs shaking up.

So have I, and I disagree that he's the guy who needs to sit.

He's not the worst it's just I don't think he is part of the future Schenn however bad he looked some is his fault and some is his weak partner in Mezz.

They've all have there moments not looking good.

I just think they just need to win games and Mezz just don't belong to me.

I wish they would just move him and then find a consistent partner somewhere to help Schenn then maybe Schenn can at least play closer to what we seen last year.

Last year he played a lot with Ollie which I've liked him paired with. Schenn no matter what needs to play better but I don't think he can stand another benching so soon.

Whatever gets to play better I'll like....hell even G can play better is his own zone with out the the puck really no one is free of blame.

But yes I agree we don't agree.

I at least want to see Mez given a shot with a mobile(NOT LUKE SCHENN) partner. A large part of the turnovers ties directly to Schenn's inability to to read/catch up to the play. Mez can actually be effective if his partner has enough speed and intelligence to cover his jumping into plays.

I gotta' think Downie is hurt. Did he really recover from that scrap in the earlier Cap's game? It seems like Vinnie didn't. Anybody wonder why more Phantoms aren't getting a chance with the big club? I like to see Lauridsen spend a little with the big club,couldn't be any worse!

Yeah Rod 100% agree.  I would try Mez with Coburn or Timmo.  Someone with legs enough to recover when Mez is pinching.  That and the forwards have to be better at reading this play and fill in, which is great %when it works, but yields odd man situations when it doesn't.

I at least want to see Mez given a shot with a mobile(NOT LUKE SCHENN) partner. A large part of the turnovers ties directly to Schenn's inability to to read/catch up to the play. Mez can actually be effective if his partner has enough speed and intelligence to cover his jumping into plays.

This makes the most sense to me, though I can see another benching as rough on Schenn.

Maybe there are just too many pieces that don't fit together. Timonen retiring could free up a Coburn and Mesz pairing, and a Gus and Schenn pairing.

I don't want to lose Mesz and Timonen in the same off-season. That's too much roster turnover on the blue line.

Sitting Mezz makes no sense given his recent play. Bench Fluke Schenn

I second that motion!

Additionally move Streit to the 1st PP unit (it's what he was brought here for ) and drop Kimmo down to the second unit or even give Gus a chance on the PP.

I second that motion!

Additionally move Streit to the 1st PP unit (it's what he was brought here for ) and drop Kimmo down to the second unit or even give Gus a chance on the PP.

THAT is one thing that really makes no sense and pisses me off. Timonen was never a great point shooter, play Streit over him on PP. That keeps Timonen fresher for PK, which while not as sexy, is critical for the greater good: the team.

Tim P. is reporting that Berube is likely to play Gustafsson against Boston.

i can't see this as being a good idea.  he is gonna get run over.  of all teams to throw a very small and very inexperienced and very rusty defenseman against as his first game back....

THAT is one thing that really makes no sense and pisses me off. Timonen was never a great point shooter

no, but he handles the puck better than anyone else.  everything runs through timonen on the PP, i think there'd be problems with someone else in that spot.  best case the PP% goes down, worst case a bunch of mishandled pucks end up as breakaways against.

• Like 1

looks like it is Mez who sits today.  

@billmeltzer
Berube wanted to make a change and Meszaros is just not a player he trusts despite recent offensive hot streak. Wanted size of 8 & 22 vs Bs.

Rod Mezz is mobile and he can't read and react either he panics and a lot of times it's on him Schenn has nothing with a lot of the struggles i see from him.

Now i'm not saying Schenn is free from blame but he is still a work in progress and isn't part of the future plans they want to trade but he doesn't ever play consistently well for that to happen bottom line noone wants Mezz unless he is free....Schenn looked pretty solid last year with Ollie they should reunite them but there are too manny bodies with Mezz and Gill for that to happen. 

Some numbers from another Dman thread.....

5 vs 5

---------------Corsi Rel QoC----Corsi Relative---Corsi Rel QoT--------O Zone Start %
Coburn              1.300               2.6                        2.936                  51.3
Timonen            0.777              13.9                       3.062                  57.3
Grossmann        0.761            -14.6                        0.903                 46.0
Streit                   0.049             0.2                        -0.854                 54.5
Meszaros           -0.246             0.2                        -0.386                 52.6

Schenn              -0.360            -2.7                        -0.043                 54.3

Just compare Kimmo's Corsi Relative of  +13.9 and Gross's -14.6 now that is ugly....

@murraycraven   The real pressing question, is why even trade/sign a guy like Streit if he's not gonna be on the top pp....did we get him for his defense?? This is as bad as the Leafs signing Clarkson to an ungodly contract and top inserting him on the top pp....these guys made their living off playing on the top pp, if they do not play there, they are basically useless.

• Like 1

Brutal to watch....

Yes and that doesn't even do it justice of describing this game....something crazy is going to go down in the coming weeks. I just pray Homer doesn't Sbisa  some of their youth before they even know what they have.....anyone on the current active roster you can move....please leave the kids alone.

The real pressing question, is why even trade/sign a guy like Streit if he's not gonna be on the top pp....did we get him for his defense??

Everyone on this current blue line is just a one dementional they can only do one thing well if that Flyers needs better rounded Dmen yes and a true #1 would help too but more well rounded guys would help.

Damn they just pulled Mason poor guy sit tight my friend this is gonna be ugly...

• Like 1