Blade pattern? Which one?

HenriVirtanen93

Hey so I'm a recreational player and i'm gonna purchase the reebok 20k sickkick 4, now I found it a great discount price but the only blade patterns available are #5 and #8 as seen in the attached file:

I generally dont use a square toed blade but I'm thinking is the blade pattern #5 an all around good blade or would that be the #8 pattern? On my current warrior stick I have the Kopitar blade pattern.post-1177-0-61108800-1390216500_thumb.pn

@HenriVirtanen93,

Welcome to the forum!

I was always told that the square toe is better suited for a defenseman and the round toe for a forward. I don't think that is a hard, fast rule. If you want to be able to elevate the puck, then go with an open face blade like #5. I personally have more control with a blade that has a closed face. I would go with #8 because it is not as open faced as the #5. I can still elevate the puck and don't launch them when I want to keep the puck on the ice.  Hope this helps.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@HenriVirtanen93

unless you are willing to shave the blade once you get it, i'd stay away from #5.  as-is, i think you're going to have some problems with puck control, and snapshots are gonna be a mess.

if you are ok shaving the toe, #5 would actually be my preferred, that open faced heel curve is a wristshot machine.  tough to keep anything low, though.

A little update: 

I actually did go with the #5 pattern, had a chance to try the new stick and omg.... :D First of all its noticeably lighter than my current Warrior. So first of all wrist shots, went about 10 meters away and I was popping top shelf everytime, now my accuracy wasnt as good but thats because of the feel of the new curve and blade, also it was noticeably easier to pop shots under the bar at close range and slap shots were considerably better !