Trade Deadline: Effectively February 8 rather than March 5th

Howie58

Greetings:

Even though the stated deadline is March 5th, the Sochi games and ensuing roster freeze make for an effective February 8th deadline.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2014/01/04/21375001.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

This may speed up potential transactions.  I am not sure we will be active but one never knows on these things.

A month or so ago most of us might have said Hartnell or Timonen would be disposable. Would we say that now?

With the salary cap increasing next year, I have to wonder if we will be want to be net buyers?  Would we dangle one of our forwards?  The one person who might attract something from my vantage is Emery. If we really have our number one (not sure) and we think one of our juniors is ready for backup, would we let Emery go for a draft pick?  

Any takers?

Howie

@Howie58

Doubt the Flyers will sell anything at the deadline. They never sell if they see a chance to make the playoffs, they only sell if they have no shot at making the playoffs. I would like to see them move Hartnell as well but that is wishful thinking. I see them adding a few minor players before the deadline but for a major move it will be in the offseason or at the draft.

• Like 1

I dont see any splashy moves at the deadline this year.   If there is a deal I could see Brayden Schenn getting moved if the return was warranted.   With Laughton coming up the Center position is pretty much a traffic jam.

B. Schenn for Yandle? L. Schenn and Yandle on 1st pairing next year!!!!

Just messing with ya lol.

Ok. So move Hartnel and replace him with who? Against Boston and physical teams we might as well say we made the playoffs and that's it because we would get killed. Hartnel and simmonds are the only power forwards we have. You people need to learn the actual benifits harts brings to the team. Unless we are getting Nash, ovie, Kane, or something along those lines Hartnel cannot go anywhere.

I think they will definitely do something on D...

Forget Yandle we have 3 puck moving d-man on the team already.

Could see them moving  L. Schenn and a pick/prospect for a legit top 4 dman. Especially with the offense rolling along. 

Would love to see an upgrade over Emery, I think his legs are shot this season. IMO.

I question their 4th line depth come playoff time. 1-2 bad injuries leave Rosehill/Newbury/Mcggin in the lineup. See them going out getting a bonafide 4th liner to fight it out with Hall.

Edited by AMMOnation

@Jmdodgesrt4

Huh...? How would we go about getting those players? Also last time I checked Kane was not a power forward...so what is your point there? How would Hartnell be mentioned in the same sentence "no disrespect to hartnell" with those guys. Also what is with the "you people need to learn" what has Hartnell done against those teams? Wasn't there the possibility that when Vinny L got healthy that Hartsy was going demoted to the 4th line... How would he help us there?

Edited by Philly29

E Kane is a power forward as far as I'm concerned. What has he done? He makes room for the scorers and plants himself infront of net. Sticks up for his teammates and is a huge member of the community. He isn't going anywhere. Points just don't make the player. Besides point wise he is among the team high.

@Philly29  Evander is indeed a power forward, big strong burly guy who drives to the front of the net with reckless abandon. He's the very definition of a classic power forward....has not crafted his skill to the utmost potential, but he is a big strong guy, no doubt about it.

Ok. So move Hartnel and replace him with who? Against Boston and physical teams we might as well say we made the playoffs and that's it because we would get killed. Hartnel and simmonds are the only power forwards we have. You people need to learn the actual benifits harts brings to the team. Unless we are getting Nash, ovie, Kane, or something along those lines Hartnel cannot go anywhere.

Hartnell is a likeable personality and has started playing well again. But he's played a physical game his entire career and is now 31 years old, and just starting his 6 year contract. The good news is, his skating won't really regress. But I really hate to think what a 35 year old Scott Hartnell will be like...let alone a 36 or 37 year old one. I figure any chance to get rid of his, VLCs or Streits contracts should be listened to closely.

But I really hate to think what a 35 year old Scott Hartnell will be like...

Dave Andreychuk ? Mike Knuble ?

DA wasn't a great skater, played a physical game, had better hands but Hartnell has some skill too.

Knube's played effectively until last year when the wheels fell off.

It could be worse.

@mojo1917

As physical as those guys may have been, Hartnell has more than twice the pims as Knuble in less games, and more pims than Andreychuk had in twice as many games. I probably wouldn't dislike his, VLCs or Streits contracts so much if there wasn't THREE of them. I just think having those 3 in 4 years when the other guys are prime will hurt this team

I dont see any splashy moves at the deadline this year.   If there is a deal I could see Brayden Schenn getting moved if the return was warranted.   With Laughton coming up the Center position is pretty much a traffic jam.  

This baffles me every time it comes up, which is a little too often. People bitch about them not being patient with youth, but then stuff like this comes up and during what is going to be his best year as a pro no less. He is literally getting better each year....and we're talking about trading him? He hasn't even played two full seasons (154 games to be exact) in the league yet and we're talking about moving him for an unknown quantity? Unf-cking real.

• Like 2

This baffles me every time it comes up, which is a little too often. People bitch about them not being patient with youth, but then stuff like this comes up and during what is going to be his best year as a pro no less. He is literally getting better each year....and we're talking about trading him? He hasn't even played two full seasons (154 games to be exact) in the league yet and we're talking about moving him for an unknown quantity? Unf-cking real.

+1

Plus Laughton's dynamite season in Jr is coming as a 19 year old VS 16 year olds,  not ready to assume he's ready to step in and excel at the NHL level.

not that he won't be a good player, just the fact that Schenn is perhaps expendable because of him is not fully thought out IMO.

There is a point at which you have to actually go with the "development" of the "potential" for players rather than dealing them for more "potential."

Brayden Schenn is at that point.

A great deal comes your way? Sure, take it. But to move him simply to "make room" for Laughton is quite misguided.

Schenn was projected to be the player he is rapidly turning into. Let's not trade him for the equivalent of his brother, K?

• Like 1

+1

Plus Laughton's dynamite season in Jr is coming as a 19 year old VS 16 year olds,  not ready to assume he's ready to step in and excel at the NHL level.

not that he won't be a good player, just the fact that Schenn is perhaps expendable because of him is not fully thought out IMO.

I don't want to trade Schenn and I didn't want to trade him in the beginning of the year, but if someone had a knee-jerk reaction and simply want to move somebody because of how bad they were playing then, that I get. I still don't agree with it because of what we've already pointed out, but it at least makes more sense. In addition to the points we've made.....they are in a PO spot!

So, he's not playing particularly badly, he's part of a young core we're trying to build, has gotten better each year, and Laughton is playing against children and we're discussing trading him?!

+1

Laughtons dynamite season may be coming VS some 16 year olds, but very few. We have a grand total of ONE 16 year old on our junior squad. There are a heck of a lot more players Laughtons age than any other. There's probably more 20 year olds than 16.

And Braydon Schenn should only be traded if someone blows the doors off with an offer IMO.

Laughtons dynamite season may be coming VS some 16 year olds, but very few. We have a grand total of ONE 16 year old on our junior squad. There are a heck of a lot more players Laughtons age than any other. There's probably more 20 year olds than 16.

And Braydon Schenn should only be traded if someone blows the doors off with an offer IMO.

I don't disagree with any of this...

I just wanted to point out that Laughton's excellent season is coming as a 19 year old, so it should be looked at in the context of being developmentally appropriate, he's not Ekblad with the full beard dominating at 17...

If Laugton is 19 now, he'll be 20 next year, and can center the top line on the phantoms.  He may be technically nhl ready next year, but I don't see how a step up to ahl would be a detriment to his progression.  Then see how things pan out.  Patients, patients.

There is a point at which you have to actually go with the "development" of the "potential" for players rather than dealing them for more "potential."

Brayden Schenn is at that point.

A great deal comes your way? Sure, take it. But to move him simply to "make room" for Laughton is quite misguided.

Schenn was projected to be the player he is rapidly turning into. Let's not trade him for the equivalent of his brother, K?

I agree, there is some real wisdom there. You don't trade a young developing player to make room for another one, these things have a way of working themselves out over time. There will be plenty of room for both of them. I have no doubt they will both be large parts of the team in the future. Braydon is a classic late bloomer. Laughton's offensive flair in junior will translate to the NHL...it's a win/win as long as we stay patient.

I don't disagree with any of this...

I just wanted to point out that Laughton's excellent season is coming as a 19 year old, so it should be looked at in the context of being developmentally appropriate, he's not Ekblad with the full beard dominating at 17...

Sure. Of course Laughton didn't go first overall either, which Ekblad likely will (2nd at worst). And MOST NHLers who come out of junior play there as 19 year olds. My guess would be in the 95 % range.