Good Win in Phoenix

Howie58

Howdy:

I thought this was a good win. The boys started like turds but went on the attack.  Stopping four power plays--good. 

The unsung hero may have been Mason. He was mortal for the first two periods but got his act together in the third and made some really critical stops.

Nice job. This one made for a very positive road trip. 

One last thought..Voracek looked great on the game winner. Giroux's shot on the open goal was such a laser. Cool.

Best,

Howie

hey @Howie58 ... how's the wine flowin? 

i gotta say.. i'm very impressed with how they're playing right now. it seems they are mostly on the same page finally. if you watched a game from earlier in the season and then any game from this roadtrip, one very striking thing is how cohesive they are now. it's the little things.. the passes are tape to tape. sure, they still have some D breakdowns that result in a lot of 'running' around. but, i guess what team doesn't? 

i dunno if it's coincidence or that Berube is really doing a great job, but the product on the ice is 10x's what it was in october, that is for sure. we're IN every game now. 

hey @Howie58 ... how's the wine flowin? 

i gotta say.. i'm very impressed with how they're playing right now. it seems they are mostly on the same page finally. if you watched a game from earlier in the season and then any game from this roadtrip, one very striking thing is how cohesive they are now. it's the little things.. the passes are tape to tape. sure, they still have some D breakdowns that result in a lot of 'running' around. but, i guess what team doesn't? 

i dunno if it's coincidence or that Berube is really doing a great job, but the product on the ice is 10x's what it was in october, that is for sure. we're IN every game now. 

Bak:

Good to hear from you and best wishes for 2014.  My orthodpod says I should cut out wine but my GP says 2 glasses a day is A-OK.  Who am I putting money on?  Yeahh baby!  Yes, this team is gelling very nicely.  I concur that D is probably the weakest link but there is coherence and for the first time in years, they can get the puck out of their own zone with relative ease. Mason is something of a revelation. I hope this isn't some one season wonder like his stint in Columbus. This road trip showed some character. Now they have to bring it home and kick arse in their own division. 

LGF,

Howie

hey @Howie58 ... how's the wine flowin?

Another understated point, passing. I really love that Berube is hammering in the fundamentals. Passing and skating enable the more complicated offenses and PPs.

Another understated point, passing. I really love that Berube is hammering in the fundamentals. Passing and skating enable the more complicated offenses and PPs.

I have to say after the myriad of schemes we have been through over the last few coaches it is nice to just get back to basics. Who would have thought that skating would come in handy so much while contesting an ice hockey game?