Steve Mason's next deal....

OccamsRazor

Flyers unlikely to rush into talks with Mason
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131204_More_offensive_woes_in_Minnesota.html#5rEV48VE8mhiyumU.99

Just to start...

...find him a fare market deal for him for 2 more years.......after this one. 

Make sure to tell him that if he puts together a more consistent body of work they will reward him with a Cary Price like deal during the or after the 2nd year before he hits the market.

All he has to do maintain what he is already doing it will be win win for both sides.

They will also try to keep getting him help which they do try (i know the way/path and results are both disputable) however this is the most secure i've ever witnessed in net in my Flyers fan lifetime...

...my first year of truly being able to watching them back then on ESPN was 92-93 BiG E's first year the Tommy Soderstrom days ooof!

The year i started watching with my Sabre friend at the time drinking some suds at the sprts bars when i got sucked into the sport Hexy in the decline year...before Lindros what a difference change...with E.

His transformation actually began before he got here some guy came in and took his job that sometimes is an eye opener!!!!

And all WE need some times...other sometimes never gets it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKuX-lTa4bc

Any how back to the topic, i think they have their guy but i just want to bridge the gap like they have with their young yet still need more proof guys...what is your idea?  :D

@OccamsRazor  I'm thinking Mason is in a *excellent* bargaining position. His play is the only thing holding this season together, Mase knows it, Berube knows it, Homer knows it, and more importantly, Mason's agent knows it. I really think next years huge cap increase will play a large role in these negotiations. So..A) the Flyers can't cry poor or tight up against the cap. B) If Mason walks, is it even possible to find someone with his specific skill set, and *if* that goalie is out there, how much does it cost to secure his services. That 's what I call over a barrel, the Flyers might talk tough, and probably will, but the bottom line is Mason holds all the cards here, if he leaves, the Flyers are screwed. 

Taking all this into account, I say 3 years 18 million. A solid 6 mill a year. I'm convinced that what Mason's agent will be asking for, right around that ballpark.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Mason is in a *excellent* bargaining position. His play is the only thing holding this season together, Mase knows it, Berube knows it, Homer knows it, and more importantly, Mason's agent knows it.

That my friend is the Elephant i can't see in the room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taking all this into account, I say 3 years 18 million. A solid 6 mill a year. I'm convinced that what Mason's agent will be asking for, right around that ballpark.

thing is, there is a lot of hockey to play this season.  if i'm the flyers, i don't want to discuss terms until after the flyers are done playing.  much as i hate lambert, what he keeps saying is true:  mason posted almost identical numbers halfway through his rookie season.  the second half of the season was measurably weaker, and the next season he was a trainwreck.  if he keeps playing like this through to the end, then yes, he is in a very strong bargaining position.  $6mil a year is on the table.  this is steve mason, though, so nothing should be assumed.

and whatever the dollar amount, the flyers should shoot for a 2 year deal.  3, tops.

@aziz  One really positive note, he's been posting close to 2.00 GGA with some rather poor support (in general). I'm wondering what types of numbers he would post on a team playing great team d. I hear it was a mental thing with Mason, his skill set never disappeared during his struggles in Columbus, he just did not think the game well. That is something you can't guard against. Waiting to see if he implodes would be a rather prudent venture.

I hear it was a mental thing with Mason, his skill set never disappeared during his struggles in Columbus, he just did not think the game well.

when i watched him in columbus...well, put it this way:  leighton reminded me of mason in columbus.  a guy who knows how to play the game very well, but had serious focus issues that led to chronic ultra soft goal surrendering.  mason was constantly giving up goals on really stupid plays, not being set for shots, cheating on sharp angles, just the opposite of being "sharp".  all the pieces of a great goaltender were there, but they were just laying in an unorganized pile.  his skill set never disappeared, but his ability to keep his head in the game did.  and you're right, you can't guard against that.  and what worries me is that you really really rarely see someone with a tendency to lose focus like that shake the habit completely. 

mason has been awesome so far, but i'm still holding my breath a little to see if he can maintain.  the flyers would be wise to do the same.  it may cost them more dollars and cap space in the end, but i don't think they can risk moving too quickly.

@aziz  Yeah, giving out a large contract to Mason and having him flop would be a career killer, even for the Teflon Don of GM's. He lived through the Bryz fiasco, but another failed goalie so close together would be the nail in the coffin, and I'm betting Homer knows this.

I have always liked Mason. I live in Ohio and have seen a ton of him, I know goalies are usually the most loved or hated players on their team, kind of like a Quarterback, getting too much credit or blame.

By the end in Columbus Mason wouldn't even face the fans. He would skate out to the crease and from fifteen feet out would turn and glide backwards to the net after timeouts or between periods. His contempt for the fans was very noticeable.

I have said no Goalie needed a change of scenery as much as Mason. I think he just needed a system and left alone, it seemed twice a year the Jackets were either firing the coach or the goalie coach was fired or shooting himself. Every year they 'reinvented' him once or twice, stand up, butterfly, something different all the time. Just leave the man alone, he is as athletic as almost any goalie in the game and just needs to be allowed to be Steve Mason.

As far as his contract, I would not go over two years based off this one solid third of a season. He has proven that his head does not match his talent and a long term deal might mess with him, putting pressure on to live up to the contract. In Detroit we are going thru that with Jimmy Howard who just needs to relax and be the same Jimmy Howard that Earned the five year contract. I see Mason doing the same thing, setting unrealistic expectations for himself if his deal is too long.

The problem is some club will give him a great deal if he is the best available, say Winnipeg or Calgary. Philadelphia needs to lock him up for a couple of years and keep his ego happy. If they wait til free agency it will likely be too late.

He is restricted this year, now is the time to tie him up for two additional years so it is not a distraction next season.

Edited by yave1964

3 years at 4mil a season sounds fair.

I agree with these terms. He's playing like Price for now, but Price has done it longer. If Mason comes out three years later a consistent stud, then pay him 6~7 mil. Just don't do it before he earns it.

Just don't do it before he earns it.

Well he has earned it....but we need to see it spread over a broader time...we need to see a bigger body of work in the orange and black which is totally what i want...surely they can come to some common ground. It's just to make sure...

...consistency and if he just maintains he'll be fine God knows this group can be this pressed for scoring for ever...can they????

He isn't getting a lot of goal support so his numbers and effect should be even better once they figure that out.

As much as I love watching a real top ten NHL goalie in Philly for the first time in over 2 decades, he's done it for 27 games. If he keeps it up the rest of the season I'd give him a 2-3 year deal in the $4.5 range. That triples his salary.Tell him to do it for 2 more years and you'll extend that at the going rate for a top 5-10 goalie. Incentive works.

As much as I love watching a real top ten NHL goalie in Philly for the first time in over 2 decades, he's done it for 27 games. If he keeps it up the rest of the season I'd give him a 2-3 year deal in the $4.5 range. That triples his salary.Tell him to do it for 2 more years and you'll extend that at the going rate for a top 5-10 goalie. Incentive works.

I completely agree...no need to rush this he is a RFA and it's in his best interested to work with the team that saved him form the depths of hell known as Columbus...they will work this out both parties need each other. 

@flyercanuck

Not a bad deal.  My question to myself would be, can you trust the flyers front office with their do potential promises?  We've seen them hang some people out to dry!  This is something that has concerned me greatly and i do wonder what the players themselves think.

I read yesterday both parties are going to start talking next month.  Like others have said, he's an RFA.  I'm not sure I do anything during the season.  Wait to see how much the cap is going up(remember, we lose some salary, but also G gets a 5 Million increase and Read gets a large increase).  Make sure he performs over the entire season, then work out the numbers.  Personally, I don't give him $6millon/year.   $4 millon-$4.5...

Lundqvist was $6.8 million/year until yesterday's extension.  Mason doesn't deserve that pay scale at this point.

• Like 2

Let's hope he can win a faceoff by he gets a new deal... he was terrible last night:  0 for 10

OOOOOoooooofffffffffff!!!! WOW didn't know that.............great trade him...trade him now his value will be no higher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's hope he can win a faceoff by he gets a new deal... he was terrible last night:  0 for 10

OOOOOoooooofffffffffff!!!! WOW didn't know that.............great trade him...trade him now his value will be no higher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you guys are joking, But before anyone goes throwing him under the bus see Sean Couturier or JVR (who Schenn is basically scoring at the same pace as in relation to age)

I know you guys are joking,

Yes i'm in the boat of all i want to move is Mezz....i should have inserted a ninja....my bad....but with that said iwould package both brothers and whatever it took to get Weber other than that i'm holding tight...however i would listen to offers for Jake....and would love to move Hartsy but ain't noone taking that contract so just ride this thing out.

3 years at 4mil a season sounds fair.

I agree with Freakin here. I suspect he will take a below-average deal with the Flyers as a sign of gratitude for acceptance/rebirth.  I smell a 2-year, 3.5 million signing. Mason and his agent know their history. He has to show the flash-in-the-pan history is really history.

Candidly, I think the more interesting question may be Emory. Do they lock him in? Does he become trade bait?  Does he seek greener pastures, even as a 1A extraordinaire? I don't know if any of the farmhands could grow into backup status but as the trade deadline approaches, I suspect Emory's stock rises.

Peace,

Howie