Thank You Steve Mason

Jam1986

You kept us in game that we in which we shouldn't have one ! Out worked again by a  injury team!!!!!!!!!! Thank You Steve the rest of you   pick it up or pack your bags.

I'm not making excuses but it's nice to have that......i've seen Marty Broduer do that for 20+ years...nice to be on the other end for once.

Can you imagine what our record would be with that stupid douche Bryzgalov in the net this season? Mason has kept us in every single game this year, and was tremendous in the clutch as well as in the shootout last night. Bryz never stole a game for us, and  was horrendous in shootouts and  gor burned 99% of the time on breakaways. It looks like we have our best goalie since Lindbergh.

First, I agree with everyone regarding Mason.   And Emery is a terrific backup.

The offense:   I don't know how to fix it wthout screwing up the other lines (I don't want to touch the third line, for example), but the top line is a disaster.  Originally, Giroux was just as bad, but now  as it seems like Giroux is getting/has gotten his game together, Voracek and Hartnell are large stones around his neck drowning him and making him nearly irrelevant. 

It seems to me that Hartnell is neither consistent enough nor good enough to be on the first line.  Having him there is ridiculous, but given his contract and tenure where else do you realistically put him if you're the coach?   My knee jerk is the 4th line, but "realistically if you're the coach" kind of kills that idea.  Since I don't want to mess with the third line and I don't think the fourth line is realistic, that leaves the 2nd line or the press box.  I don't think the press box--for more than a game or two as a wake up--is anymore realistic (arguably less) than the 4th line.  But what would he really bring Vinny on the second line?   I just don't know what to do with Hartnell, but he's a disaster where he is.

Voracek is just playing flat out dumb.   The Nashville game was a great case in point (several bone headed plays in all three zones), but I don't think it was an outlier.  It just seems that he's turned off above the neck.   First, I would honestly sit him for a game or two and would hope it wakes him up from his coma.  If that doesn't work, you have a similar problem as with Hartnell.   I think the second line is an easier argument for him, but if he's going to play ridiculously stupid, he's going to do that on the second line as well and you've killed THAT line. 

I think as a team we're playing much better on defense and everyone here has acknowledged that Mason is basically carrying us despite the absense of an offense.   I maintain that we still don't have pieces that go together well on the front end.   Identifying that Voracek and Hartnell don't work on the top line is quite easy and takes little brain power (obviously, or I wouldn't be the one figuring this out!).   But who is available to move up?

Second line currently is Schenn, Vinny, and Simmonds.     You could flip flop parts of the first and second line, but I believe this has been tried to very little result.   Maybe try it again now that Giroux is playing better, but I suspect it won't work.

Would you try Rinaldo on the top line for speed, energy, and work ethic?  I'd flip him and Hartnell for a game or two, but if it accidentally works that ultimately leaves Hartnell on the fourth line, which (again) I don't think is a realistic option.   I don't think Raffl is ready for prime time, so it's not an experiment I would try (but would again put Hartnell on the fourth line).   And I don't move one of these guys to the top line, sending Hartnell to the second and then either Schenn or Simmonds to the fourth.

We clearly are missing a good scoring winger for Giroux if they can't get Voracek to wake up.  The answer is probably a trade, but for who?  for what?   I would love to move Hartnell because I really don't think he fits anywhere, but he has a NMC.   So we may be stuck hoping that Mason keeps playing like the bastard son of Patrick Roy and Marty Brodeur.

It looks like we have our best goalie since Lindbergh.

I wasn't watching during that time so i'll just say from since i've been able to follow them....YES!!!!!!

Without a doubt the best goaltenders i've seen in the Philly net bar none!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He just makes it look easy at times just the way he settles things down out there and exudes confidence....and it's carried over to the team cause they know he is going to give them a chance and help erase most of their mistakes....guys want t o play for a guy like that and it shows.

• Like 1

Voracek is just playing flat out dumb.   The Nashville game was a great case in point (several bone headed plays in all three zones), but I don't think it was an outlier.  It just seems that he's turned off above the neck.   First, I would honestly sit him for a game or two and would hope it wakes him up from his coma.  If that doesn't work, you have a similar problem as with Hartnell.   I think the second line is an easier argument for him, but if he's going to play ridiculously stupid, he's going to do that on the second line as well and you've killed THAT line. 

I think as a team we're playing much better on defense and everyone here has acknowledged that Mason is basically carrying us despite the absense of an offense.   I maintain that we still don't have pieces that go together well on the front end.   Identifying that Voracek and Hartnell don't work on the top line is quite easy and takes little brain power (obviously, or I wouldn't be the one figuring this out!).   But who is available to move up?

Second line currently is Schenn, Vinny, and Simmonds.     You could flip flop parts of the first and second line, but I believe this has been tried to very little result.   Maybe try it again now that Giroux is playing better, but I suspect it won't work.

It's not like the Vinny line is much better. There was a time earlier in the season where they played well, but the last half dozen games, they don't seem to generate much. I would try Schenn on the top line and move down Hartnell or Voracek. 

But the other part of it is that Giroux needs to learn some new tricks. The half-wall play on the PP is getting very predictable. He will either pass to the point, or to Hartnell in the slot stationed a few feet away from him. Teams know that now. There was a time when Hartnell scored probably 15 goals from there on passes from Giroux, but that doesn't work anymore. Giroux in general overpasses. He needs to be more selfish and take shots on net.

And Voracek often seems to be in his own little bubble. When he's on, he's very strong on the puck, makes smart plays and can usually make something happen in the offensive zone many times per game. But when he's off, he becomes a turnover machine with poor pass selection and lazy backchecking. He had a breakout year last season because he was more selfish. He shot more and passed less. 

Really, that's the Flyers in a nutshell this year... overpassing. And poor execution on those passes.

Both Nashville goals were players being selfish and taking the bad angle shot that just happened to go in.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any doubt as to who the Flyers' unquestioned and undisputed MVP is so far in this season.  Without Mason, the team would proably be looking at a pretty disastrous record at this point.  My only concern is Berube may be burning him out.  Emery is suitable enough to give him more starts. 

The rest of the team continues to struggle and it's probably a concept we should all get warmed up to...

When Mason stopped that Colin Wilson breakaway last night, I had to smile, cause Bryz would have let that in, been slumped in a tangled ball while the goal light was going off. Mason has brought stability. They need to sign this guy pretty soon. His price goes up with each game.

When Mason stopped that Colin Wilson breakaway last night, I had to smile, cause Bryz would have let that in, been slumped in a tangled ball while the goal light was going off. Mason has brought stability. They need to sign this guy pretty soon. His price goes up with each game.

Apparently they can't begin negotiations on an extension until after January 1. Usually you can begin negotiations at any time during the final year of a multi-year contract, but on a one year deal, you have to wait until January.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure he'll be locked up sometime in the new year. I admit I was very skeptical about him. Not because I didn't believe in him, but it was just too hard to ignore 4 years of terrible goaltending. Especially in a Columbus system that wasn't much worse than ours defensively. 

But he has proven himself in my eyes, and it's clear in watching him that he has top level skills. He's rarely out of position, uses efficiency of motion, comes up with the occasional momentum-changing save, and has flat out stolen 3-4 games for the Flyers this year.

What is a 25-year old former Calder winner that has regained his form worth? $3M/year? 

Don't screw this up, Homer!

It seems to me that Hartnell is neither consistent enough nor good enough to be on the first line.  Having him there is ridiculous,

i agree with this, he's a problem on that line.  

contract aside, i like him , he's a good bloke, great teammate awesome in the community.  he is not a first line player, he is a 4-9 guy not a 1-3 guy.

that.  i think he hustles, i think he is hard to play against, i also think he's not a good match with Voracek on the other side, it worked with jagr, because jagr...but Jake isn't Jagr and that makes Hartnell's deficiencies stand out..

• Like 1

But the other part of it is that Giroux needs to learn some new tricks. The half-wall play on the PP is getting very predictable. He will either pass to the point, or to Hartnell in the slot stationed a few feet away from him. Teams know that now. There was a time when Hartnell scored probably 15 goals from there on passes from Giroux, but that doesn't work anymore. Giroux in general overpasses.

i have wondered why they don't run some plays through Voracek on the right half wall, on the PP... in the past he has done a nice job of facilitating from there, plus , he occasionally take the puck to the net from there and when he handles it there were wide open shots for Giroux and Hartnell.  I haven't seen that at all our PP is very predictable, i agree.

i have wondered why they don't run some plays through Voracek on the right half wall, on the PP... in the past he has done a nice job of facilitating from there, plus , he occasionally take the puck to the net from there and when he handles it there were wide open shots for Giroux and Hartnell.  I haven't seen that at all our PP is very predictable, i agree.

Giroux has a bullet of a shot, and I think he needs to be set up for one-timers more often. Same goes with Vinny, and I think they try to do that already.

Shift Giroux's PP role to sniper instead of playmaker, and as you say, have Voracek be the playmaker. Stick B Schenn in front. There's your first PP unit with Streit and Coburn on the back end.

Vinny, Read, Couturier, Timo, Gus as the 2nd PP unit.

Apparently they can't begin negotiations on an extension until after January 1. Usually you can begin negotiations at any time during the final year of a multi-year contract, but on a one year deal, you have to wait until January.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure he'll be locked up sometime in the new year. I admit I was very skeptical about him. Not because I didn't believe in him, but it was just too hard to ignore 4 years of terrible goaltending. Especially in a Columbus system that wasn't much worse than ours defensively. 

But he has proven himself in my eyes, and it's clear in watching him that he has top level skills. He's rarely out of position, uses efficiency of motion, comes up with the occasional momentum-changing save, and has flat out stolen 3-4 games for the Flyers this year.

What is a 25-year old former Calder winner that has regained his form worth? $3M/year? 

Don't screw this up, Homer!

I'm as thrilled with Masons play as the next guy. That said, he's been doing it for less than a single season. I'm all for re-upping him for 2- 3 years at a reasonable amount in a "ok here's a raise but prove you can do it year in year out" deal. If he earns a bigger payday, give it to him.

I'm as thrilled with Masons play as the next guy. That said, he's been doing it for less than a single season. I'm all for re-upping him for 2- 3 years at a reasonable amount in a "ok here's a raise but prove you can do it year in year out" deal. If he earns a bigger payday, give it to him.

Agreed. 3 years sounds about right.

Agreed. 3 years sounds about right.

This is an area where Homer traditionally out-thinks himself. He gets all caught up in the savings associated with a long term deal and does not think about the player regressing. Anything over a 5 year deal should be saved for "stars", and as good as Mason has been, he does not qualify in that category. 3 years would be nice, enough to establish himself as a legit top flight starter, but does not take him out of his prime. If he does great, then pay him the 6-8 mill it will take to secure a starting tender at that time....the cap will be going up so much, there will be no cap crunch.