Pitkanen an UFA this summer- any interest by Flyers?

RonJeremy

Pitkanen is an UFA this summer he is 30 yrs old, would the Flyers have an interest? Timmo is retiring, so 6 millions comes off the books. Pitkanen is making 4 million. We are gonna  need a skating dman, since we have no defenseman like that, other than Streit, and our top defensive prospects, Morin, Ghost and Haag, are 2-3 years away... we also save 4 million from Mezzaros contract.

Pitkanen is an UFA this summer he is 30 yrs old, would the Flyers have an interest? Timmo is retiring, so 6 millions comes off the books. Pitkanen is making 4 million. We are gonna  need a skating dman, since we have no defenseman like that, other than Streit, and our top defensive prospects, Morin, Ghost and Haag, are 2-3 years away... we also save 4 million from Mezzaros contract.

So what do you think of Pitkanen's skating this season....  ??

:wacko:

hf101, I know hes injured, but he could be a good stop gap defenseman, until Morin, Ghost and Haag are ready. Someone stated Coburn and Gus can skate, which is true, but let me rephrase our needs ,we need a defenseman who can skate, shoot, setup plays, and score some goals. I guess that leaves out Coburn. It may even leave out Pitkanen, I guess maybe a trade is the answer.

Pitkanen is an UFA this summer he is 30 yrs old, would the Flyers have an interest? Timmo is retiring, so 6 millions comes off the books. Pitkanen is making 4 million. We are gonna need a skating dman, since we have no defenseman like that, other than Streit, and our top defensive prospects, Morin, Ghost and Haag, are 2-3 years away... we also save 4 million from Mezzaros contract.

Are you deliberately trying to make me sick?

If that's the plan, then well played. There are very few players I like less than Pitkanen. Your thread title actually made me pause for a second because I knew it was coming from a pick moving defenceman place, but a resounding "NO THANK YOU!" for me.

@RonJeremy

Then if you know he is injured for this entire season with a heel fracture that fragmented in 8 places why would we trade for him?  No one knows at this point if he will ever play again, let alone if he can  skate as well as he once did.   That risk is far to steep for me.  

@RonJeremy

Then if you know he is injured for this entire season with a heel fracture that fragmented in 8 places why would we trade for him? No one knows at this point if he will ever play again, let alone if he can skate as well as he once did. That risk is far to steep for me.

Kind of like trading for a nose picking has been thoroughbred with a broken leg.

I actually didn't know how badly he was injured. Without that knowledge I thought it was actually worth considering based on need vs.skill-set. I guess I should have learned from the downie thing that players grow and previous impressions aren't always accurate, but the name Pitkanen is one I'd really rather not see back in a Flyer uniform

@RonJeremy

Then if you know he is injured for this entire season with a heel fracture that fragmented in 8 places why would we trade for him?  No one knows at this point if he will ever play again, let alone if he can  skate as well as he once did.   That risk is far to steep for me.  

Maybe I misread what he was saying (highly possible), but I came away with the impression that he was asking about signing Pitkanen UFA and his later post was acknowledging maybe not Pitkanen and the "It may even leave out Pitkanen, I guess maybe a trade is the answer" meant a trade for someone else. 

@ruxpin

He's been our best defencemen basically since he got here. But you could see age creeping in and I didn't think the $6 million was a wise use of capspace (sorry, forgot Holmgren doesn't use "wise"). At least it's over after this year.

Completely agree.   Kind of sad to see.

@ruxpin

He's been our best defencemen basically since he got here. But you could see age creeping in and I didn't think the $6 million was a wise use of capspace (sorry, forgot Holmgren doesn't use "wise"). At least it's over after this year.

I think the $6M was really more a means of paying back the actual amount of money he made last year which I think was only about 2M minus the amount lost in the lockout.  

Not as much now as earlier in the season. Or maybe it was Coburn making Timonen look good all along? :ph34r:

Timonen can still break up 2 on 1s though.

I don't know.  I thought he looked really bad just yesterday (unless that's what you meant by earlier).

Maybe someone can answer this too:  I completely understand with a slap shot, but how does one miss the net by 10-15 feet with a wrist shot like Timonen keeps doing? 

I don't know. I thought he looked really bad just yesterday (unless that's what you meant by earlier).

Maybe someone can answer this too: I completely understand with a slap shot, but how does one miss the net by 10-15 feet with a wrist shot like Timonen keeps doing?

I just think he was actually worse in the beginning of the season.

Didn't know Pitkanen was that badly hurt....in looking at dmen who are UFAs, he was the youngest and the closest to an offensive dman, that was available. When I mentioned a trade, I was saying , we will need to  trade for an offensive dman, not for Pitkanen  since hes an UFA.  Maybe we just re-sign Mez.

Markhov is a fossil , hes 34. Phaneuf is gonna want a monster contract.  Hainsey doesn't have much offensive skill, don't know much about McDonald. That's why I mentioned Pitkanen, hes only 30 and is probably not gonna even get the 4 million he makes now, and he can move the puck, or he used to be able to.