Homer is brilliant

Fletch44

Looking at some of the moves:

I don't think Bryz was entirely on Homer, the "must get goalie NOW" likely came from within the organization by most accounts (Snider).

The only trade I question was Richards and I think there was a lot going on behind the scenes with a split locker room (Pronger), and a degree of immaturity on Richard's part that led to it happening more than Homer loving Simmonds or Schenn.    I'd still reverse this trade if I could.  

Carter was a one-dimensional man-child who wore out his welcome and the trade was fine in my book.

Looking further back, getting both Mazaros and Grossman for 2nd rounders were savy moves.

The original downie/emenger trade for Carle was a solid move at the time

Getting Harnell and Timonen for a 1st rounder in 2007 was an A+ move

Had the Weber move actually worked I think he'd be on a pedestal, but not sure if he would have been worth the cap hit......can only speculate either way, but my gut says that would have really helped this team (i.e. pedestal comment).

Edited by Green Man

@Green Man

Eminger for a 1st?

JVR even for Schenn?

Versteeg?

Kubina? Prospal? Modry?

Trading away the eventual Vezina winner? (getting Mason makes up for it though)

Trading the equivalent of 4 firsts for 35 year old Pronger?

Maybe getting Bryz wasn't all on Homer but that contract was flat out terrible from day 1. Heck a lot of his contracts are bad.

You forgot the Coburn trade as a plus.

@Green Man

Eminger for a 1st?

JVR even for Schenn?

Versteeg?

Kubina? Prospal? Modry?

Trading away the eventual Vezina winner? (getting Mason makes up for it though)

Trading the equivalent of 4 firsts for 35 year old Pronger?

Maybe getting Bryz wasn't all on Homer but that contract was flat out terrible from day 1. Heck a lot of his contracts are bad.

You forgot the Coburn trade as a plus.

I am not going to grill him for the Pronger trade.  When the deal was announced, just like many of us, I was enraged.  But it didn't take long to realize he was exactly what the Flyers were lacking.  At the time, they desperately needed a solid two-way d-man.  He also provided much-needed leadership.  Yes, the price was steep, but you are not going to get a star defenseman and give up nothing.  Doesn't work this way.  The move paid off if you ask me.  Yes, they didn't win the Cup, but no way the Flyers make the trip to the Finals without Pronger as he was instrumental in that entire playoff run.  Even at 35, he was exactly what the team needed.  And he woudl still be playing if not for the concussion, which, of course, nobody could forecast.

With that said, I still content Homer is incompetent.  The ill-advised moves, unfortunately, outweigh good moves when looking at his tenure.

Edited by Mad Dog

@doom88

The problem wasn't Versteeg. The problem was he traded a 1st and a 3rd for him, then traded him away for a 2nd and a 3rd. The guy just doesn't value draft picks like he should. Some of his trades, as we've all joked about, it actually seems like a deal was made then Homer throws in a 2nd.