So....say somebody calls you about Emery

fanaticV3.0

What's your reaction? Does it depend on what they are offering, what time of year it is, or are you completely for/against it regardless? If someone calls now do you say no, but really intend on moving him closer to the deadline?

The guy's got skills, but for a variety of reasons, he hasn't really stuck with anyone as a #1, especially in recent years. I don't see him winning out over Mason either. He does show skill when he plays though. He kind of does this every year and either doesn't win the job or gets hurt. If someone wants to take a chance on him and gave you something good enough to where they think he's their new #1, I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted to pull the trigger. It would all depend on what it was they were offering, but I don't know that we really need him.

What's your reaction? Does it depend on what they are offering, what time of year it is, or are you completely for/against it regardless? If someone calls now do you say no, but really intend on moving him closer to the deadline?

The guy's got skills, but for a variety of reasons, he hasn't really stuck with anyone as a #1, especially in recent years. I don't see him winning out over Mason either. He does show skill when he plays though. He kind of does this every year and either doesn't win the job or gets hurt. If someone wants to take a chance on him and gave you something good enough to where they think he's their new #1, I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted to pull the trigger. It would all depend on what it was they were offering, but I don't know that we really need him.

Right now, I would say no if only because Mason and Emery appear to have a great camaraderie, and Mason is playing lights out. I wouldn't want to take the chance of upsetting that chemistry and balance. Not saying it's all because of Emery, but why mess with something that isn't broken? For once, our goaltending is solid, and there's no need to make a trade for the sake of making trades.

The trade deadline, however, is a different story. If we're in a playoff position, I don't move him. If we're on the outside looking in, I would definitely consider moving him in the right deal. Maybe gauge the likelihood of him re-signing with us first, see what his plans are. Then make a move based on that.

Throw in the likelihood that Homer would probably want a backup goalie in return, and that limits our trading partners.

He's brilliant as a backup or as a 1A.  We have a really good thing going if Mason continues to play as he has because you don't even think twice about spelling him with Emery.  

Your question is a very good one because you'd think he might have some value for a team whose number one goes down even briefly (month or so) and they need someone quality to carry the load until that goalie is back.   But I'm really concerned about the same thing for the Flyers.  What if Mason gets hurt (at least even money considering the way goalies are getting hurt this year)?   That would make our option...Heeter??  Or forcing Holmgren to move an asset for a fill-in?

I think I'd consider it depending upon what was being offered, but I honestly don't see much being offered for a backup/1A who is not under contract.  Maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick or extremely mediocre forward prospect.   I think it comes down to whether we think we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs and can maybe go a round or two.  I don't see why not get to at least the playoffs (much different opinion than a month ago, by the way) especially given what a cess pool our division is. 

So, I guess no.  For me, I'd listen to whatever was being offered, but I think I'd pass.

• Like 1

Throw in the likelihood that Homer would probably want a backup goalie in return, and that limits our trading partners.

It wouldn't happen given the contract status of both our guys going out (among other things), but Mez, Emery, and a mid-round pick for Montoya and Kane.   It could work on NHL13, right?

I'd listen to offers but I would have to be wowwed.   The Flyers actually have stablity in goal.   I don't want to upset that in any way right now.   So anything short of a first round pick or a young top pairing D prospect and a 2nd rounder I really wouldn't pull the trigger.   There is still a lot of season left and the last thing you want is to move Emery, and Mason goes down with injury or his play deteriorates.  

• Like 2

Right now, I would say no if only because Mason and Emery appear to have a great camaraderie, and Mason is playing lights out. I wouldn't want to take the chance of upsetting that chemistry and balance. Not saying it's all because of Emery, but why mess with something that isn't broken? For once, our goaltending is solid, and there's no need to make a trade for the sake of making trades.

The trade deadline, however, is a different story. If we're in a playoff position, I don't move him. If we're on the outside looking in, I would definitely consider moving him in the right deal. Maybe gauge the likelihood of him re-signing with us first, see what his plans are. Then make a move based on that.

Because of the others areas that are.

I can agree with you on holding off until the deadline approaches. If he continues to play well, his value could go up as a team becomes more desperate or a keeper. But I might move him - if the deal were good enough - even if they were in a PO spot. There's always the risk of injuries, so I get that, but if I can improve another areas of the team - with someone who isn't a rental - I'm more inclined to do that than to have a good backup going into the POs.

Wow how out-of-left-field is this? Let's take the 1 position that has absolutely no problems and cause some trouble. Take the hardest position in the NHL to fill - fill it beautifully - and then trade away 1 of them. Brilliant!

Yeah I echo what everyone said I'd listen to an offer but I like to hold onto Emery for the Flyers insurance they'd have to blow me away with a deal before I'd move him though ...I'd prefer justto resign both for next if they can I think theyboth deserve new deals...Mason 3-4 year deal and Emery a 1-2 year deal.

He's brilliant as a backup or as a 1A.  We have a really good thing going if Mason continues to play as he has because you don't even think twice about spelling him with Emery.  

Your question is a very good one because you'd think he might have some value for a team whose number one goes down even briefly (month or so) and they need someone quality to carry the load until that goalie is back.   But I'm really concerned about the same thing for the Flyers.  What if Mason gets hurt (at least even money considering the way goalies are getting hurt this year)?   That would make our option...Heeter??  Or forcing Holmgren to move an asset for a fill-in?

I think I'd consider it depending upon what was being offered, but I honestly don't see much being offered for a backup/1A who is not under contract.  Maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick or extremely mediocre forward prospect.   I think it comes down to whether we think we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs and can maybe go a round or two.  I don't see why not get to at least the playoffs (much different opinion than a month ago, by the way) especially given what a cess pool our division is. 

So, I guess no.  For me, I'd listen to whatever was being offered, but I think I'd pass.

Maybe it's just because we've signed him twice, but I feel like people are kind of fooled into taking a chance on this guy. That's not to say he's a bad player, but he's not cemented himself as a legit #1 for quite a while now. You are probably right that he doesn't really have a ton of value, but given how good he's playing, and many closer to the trade deadline, I'm thinking maybe some desperate team takes a chance on him.

@Samifan

If a team calls to inquire about anyone on this team other than Mez or Hartnell the response should be, "Paul can't come to the phone right now."!

I'm with you on this!  With the apparent stability in net, I think we stand pat and ONLY deal with the few VERY bad contracts we have.

Maybe it's just because we've signed him twice, but I feel like people are kind of fooled into taking a chance on this guy. That's not to say he's a bad player, but he's not cemented himself as a legit #1 for quite a while now. You are probably right that he doesn't really have a ton of value, but given how good he's playing, and many closer to the trade deadline, I'm thinking maybe some desperate team takes a chance on him.

Yeah, I'd certainly listen.  But I'd be willing to bet my lunch that he's actually worth more to us as a backup than anything we'd realistically get in a return for him.   I don't know, is a 3rd or 4th round draft pick worth more than someone who can competently fill in if the #1 goes down?  Especially when the option is Heeter?   Say we trade Emery for a 4th round draft pick (I really think this is in line with his value in a trade.  Maybe a 3rd) before the deadline and Mason gets run over by someone and is out for 2 months.   Now our starter is Heeter and we'll have to have some no name filling in as Heeter's backup.  I suppose we could just go sign Leighton (for the 12th time) or Boucher (for the 25th time), or Holmgren has to trade an asset for a temp fix.   Brodeur?  Miller?  One of the Ducks?  I just think filling in later in the year will take more than a 3rd or 4th.  So now, you're a 2nd and/or a Cousins or someone.

Then my math is Emery and Cousins/insert name (or 2nd or both) for a 3rd/4th and ____________ goalie.

I just don't know that it's worth the effort.

Yeah I echo what everyone said I'd listen to an offer but I like to hold onto Emery for the Flyers insurance they'd have to blow me away with a deal before I'd move him though ...I'd prefer justto resign both for next if they can I think theyboth deserve new deals...Mason 3-4 year deal and Emery a 1-2 year deal.

I concur.   I would be shocked if Homer wasn't attempting to ink Mason to a multiyear deal by the Olympic break.  Mason is getting to the point where his performance and sample size in O&B is significant enough to justify an extension. 

Given his health the last several years, the I have a hard time making the connection between the words "Emery" and "insurance". If Mason went down and we're actually relying on Emery, that scares the poop outta me. 

Yeah, I'd certainly listen.  But I'd be willing to bet my lunch that he's actually worth more to us as a backup than anything we'd realistically get in a return for him.   I don't know, is a 3rd or 4th round draft pick worth more than someone who can competently fill in if the #1 goes down?  Especially when the option is Heeter?   Say we trade Emery for a 4th round draft pick (I really think this is in line with his value in a trade.  Maybe a 3rd) before the deadline and Mason gets run over by someone and is out for 2 months.   Now our starter is Heeter and we'll have to have some no name filling in as Heeter's backup.  I suppose we could just go sign Leighton (for the 12th time) or Boucher (for the 25th time), or Holmgren has to trade an asset for a temp fix.   Brodeur?  Miller?  One of the Ducks?  I just think filling in later in the year will take more than a 3rd or 4th.  So now, you're a 2nd and/or a Cousins or someone.

Then my math is Emery and Cousins/insert name (or 2nd or both) for a 3rd/4th and ____________ goalie.

I just don't know that it's worth the effort.

That might be very true.

But then there's this part of my brain that if Edmonton takes a chance on that goofball, maybe there is some sucker out there that will give us something decent for him the closer the POs get.

Boucher! Sure, why not? Haha!

Given his health the last several years, the I have a hard time making the connection between the words "Emery" and "insurance". If Mason went down and we're actually relying on Emery, that scares the poop outta me.

These days you need two reliable goalies...if not what will scare the poop out of ya is having to start Heeter or Danis if you trade Emery and then Mason gets hurt...that will squirt some turds!!!! ;)

I still remember thinking that the Flyers might be planning something of a goalie tandem/rotation this season, at least until either Mase or Razor stepped up & took the starting gig.

That lasted about a week.

I have to admit, Mason has been a steal.  Easily the team MVP, and it's not even close.

If I had my druthers, I still would have preferred Bernier (now with Toronto, unfortunately), but Mason looks like the real deal.  Give this guy a real defense in front of him, and we'll be scary.

These days you need two reliable goalies...if not what will scare the poop out of ya is having to start Heeter or Danis if you trade Emery and then Mason gets hurt...that will squirt some turds!!!! ;)

I can respect that, but what do you feel about his health the last couple of years? He's been in and out of lineups ever since here was here....the first time.

I could understand if it was March and the Flyers were out of the PO picture and one of the reasons was the backup goaltending. But Fan you talk like you want to shop him now. What is it about Ray Emery you don't like? You're bringing up his health? IIRC since he's recovered from the nerve thing - something everyone said he'd never recover from - he's been out of the lineup exactly once, right around PO time last season...somewhere around then.

A team's success depends a lot on intangible elements like chemistry and confidence. Why on Earth would you risk disrupting things now? For all we know (and hear) Emery is a solid contributor on and off the ice. A lot has changed in his life since the Ottawa days. What made him a good goalie then has gotten stronger - finding the will and work ethic to come back from an almost certain career-ending disease will tend to do that - and what made him a liability has diminished. Mason seems to be suffering no ill effects from his presence. Crawford loved the guy in Chicago. I can't understand your zeal to move him for ... what? who?

I can respect that, but what do you feel about his health the last couple of years? He's been in and out of lineups ever since here was here....the first time.

I'm ok with it, injuriescab happen to anyone anytime so with that said his issue was serious and was never suppose to play again period suffering from the same thing that ended Bo Jackson's career...yet he over came it and I don't remember him missing many games since his recoveryfrom thqt injury. So I'm ok with him plus the fact that he is playing a contract....which should swing to the Flyers advantage.

And someone has to be the backup. Might as well be him. But depending on what the offer would be I wouldn't trade him. Since I have watched the Flyers this is the best tandem in net they have had. So me likey!!

I could understand if it was March and the Flyers were out of the PO picture and one of the reasons was the backup goaltending. But Fan you talk like you want to shop him now. What is it about Ray Emery you don't like? You're bringing up his health? IIRC since he's recovered from the nerve thing - something everyone said he'd never recover from - he's been out of the lineup exactly once, right around PO time last season...somewhere around then.

A team's success depends a lot on intangible elements like chemistry and confidence. Why on Earth would you risk disrupting things now? For all we know (and hear) Emery is a solid contributor on and off the ice. A lot has changed in his life since the Ottawa days. What made him a good goalie then has gotten stronger - finding the will and work ethic to come back from an almost certain career-ending disease will tend to do that - and what made him a liability has diminished. Mason seems to be suffering no ill effects from his presence. Crawford loved the guy in Chicago. I can't understand your zeal to move him for ... what? who?

Zeal to move him? Lol, wait...what? Our back up is playing well, but he's still our back up. I create a thread asking if you would trade him if somebody called inquiring about him and you are talking to me about disrupting team chemistry and being overzealous? Come again?

• Like 1

I'm ok with it, injuriescab happen to anyone anytime so with that said his issue was serious and was never suppose to play again period suffering from the same thing that ended Bo Jackson's career...yet he over came it and I don't remember him missing many games since his recoveryfrom thqt injury. So I'm ok with him plus the fact that he is playing a contract....which should swing to the Flyers advantage.

And someone has to be the backup. Might as well be him. But depending on what the offer would be I wouldn't trade him. Since I have watched the Flyers this is the best tandem in net they have had. So me likey!!

It would definitely depend on what it is for sure. Agreed on that. Time of year helps too.

I like Voracek, but I would like to see someone with bigger upside to play alongside G. We also need help on D. If he and someone from the minors we don't really need right now can get you something that can benefit the team in a PO run and beyond, I'd be tempted to do it. That is better/more important to me than having a good backup. I think it was bre who mentioned on another thread he doesn't see a spot for Laughton right now. With G, Vinny, Schenn, and Couturier on the team, I can see that. If he or somebody like him and Emery can get you something, I don't see that as losing a whole lot from your current roster, and think it could be worth losing a good back up.

i knew it. I knew when I wrote the word "zeal" ... okay fine how about anxious? ready? okay with...?

Obviously you want to move him. You didn't merely ask about trading him you said "I'm not sure we need him."

There's nothing preposterous in reminding you about team chemistry when you talk abou trading away one of the key players. If you tell me Ray Emery or any backup goalie isn't a "key player" I disagree, and most especially for the Flyers, a team hampered by goaltending issues since ...forever.

I'm not saying the guy's irreplaceable or anything, only that when you finally land 2 guys who obviously compliment each other you don't screw it up by trading one of them away. Goaltending is the very last area of concern for the Flyers now and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

I understand you're just fishing. That's fine, look to improve the team...got to have bait..I get it. I would only caution the Flyers about tampering with their goaltending now. Flyers' fans (and Flyers' skaters) have been through hell and back over goaltending. This year and into the foreseeable future we finally have a tandem we can count on; two guys who apparently bring out the best in each other. Fish for improvements but don't use the goalies as bait.

Edited by canoli