Berube's defensive strategy

hf101

Voracek is finally in shape, his off season routine of going home running his pub and eating mom's perogies, just doesn't cut it for a professional athlete in the 21st century. plus i think Giroux finally getting his head out of his sphincter has helped 93's game tremendously.

Vorachek had a back injury at the beginning of the season that slowed him down. I forget which game it was but he was awarded a penalty shot and basically could not even shoot it. He missed the rest of that game and it took a few weeks for him to get his stride back. He's got it now, the dude is flying again.

You're right Rod... but then in the 3rd the other night he skates like 3 or 4 shifts, that was it. Berube's explanation at first was he wanted to get Hall out there more for the FOs and for his D. Then another story I read suggested Berube is (was?) unhappy with Jake's skating that night - the Buff game.

You're right Rod... but then in the 3rd the other night he skates like 3 or 4 shifts, that was it. Berube's explanation at first was he wanted to get Hall out there more for the FOs and for his D. Then another story I read suggested Berube is (was?) unhappy with Jake's skating that night - the Buff game.

Well if that is the case(Berube unhappy with his skating), I give full Kudos to Berube for handling it on the bench and not using the media tools to drive his point home. That does seem to be his coaching modus operandi which will go a loooong way towards generating trust from the players.

the problem with this team this year and last year was special teams, they have to start scoring on the pp and play better on the penalty kill, especially against buffalo 1-10 unacceptable, you have to start scoring on pp otherwise this team will not make through the first round of the playoffs.

Edited by flyersfan83

the problem with this team this year and last year was special teams, they have to start scoring on the pp and play better on the penalty kill

Dude, last year--despite a horrible overall year--they were THIRD in the league in PP and FIFTH in the league in PK.

Have you ever even seen a hockey game?   Not trying to be mean, but the next time you make the slightest bit of sense it will be the first time.

• Like 1

the problem with this team this year and last year was special teams

That's pretty much 180 degrees off. Last year their PP and PK were near the top, they were awful, near the bottom of the league 5 on 5. The biggest improvement this year over last year is how good they've 5 on 5.

• Like 1

Dude, last year--despite a horrible overall year--they were THIRD in the league in PP and FIFTH in the league in PK.

Have you ever even seen a hockey game?   Not trying to be mean, but the next time you make the slightest bit of sense it will be the first time.

yes i watched since i was 15, i dont care about the stats, yeah they sucked on 5-5, but they sucked more on the pp throughout last season, the only reason the stats went up was because they were playing better after the mason trade and the injuries and this year it's the same stuff.  im going by every game, not by season stat total, 1-10 on pp against buffalo, is that acceptable for you, especially against a really bad team? are you really not concerned about pp?

Edited by flyersfan83

yes i watched since i was 15, i dont care about the stats, yeah they sucked on 5-5, but they sucked more on the pp throughout last season, the only reason the stats went up was because they were playing better after the mason trade and the injuries and this year it's the same stuff.  im going by every game, not by season stat total, 1-10 on pp against buffalo, is that acceptable for you, especially against a really bad team? are you really not concerned about pp?

They won the game 4 -1.  They are 6-2-2 in their last 10.  

Yes. That is acceptable to me.

From now on since are only talking about 1 game at a time....  quit comparing one game to any other season and please quit projecting it to be how they will do the rest of the season.  

From now on since are only talking about 1 game at a time.... quit comparing one game to any other season and please quit projecting it to be how they will do the rest of the season.

Remember that wonderful feature I told you about...........It does wonders for your sanity. ;)

• Like 1

Exactly... The biggest problem the last two years has been there five on five play. The PP bailed them out offensively but was just papering over the cracks. 

That is ABSOLUTELY not true.  They were at the top of the league ALL year in both penalty kill and power play.  The problem was they couldn't play 5-on-5 until after Mason and Gagne arrived and the injuries happened.

Sorry, but once again you're not even close enough to reality to mail a letter to it.

Not only are you delusional but at this point you're also deceitful.  You were NOT talking about game by game or against a specific team (which would be horribly stupid).  You went back and added that on after you called out on it and now want to come up with some nonsense that covers it but, sadly, continues to make you look foolish.  

Last year, they were 3 for 13 vs. Buffalo on the power play, good for 23.1%

This year they have played ONE game for 1 for 7.   You can't just take one game as a sampling size.  Plus, they won 4-1, so what the hell, exactly, are you talking about.

Lastly, you say you've watched since you were 15.  So, since last February then?

Oh and just to kind of get back on topic, I too am impressed with the system that Berube has implemented. 

I was amongst those not thrilled with the hiring of Chief but I'm delighted that it looks like I may have been wrong. He has simplified things greatly and has them playing a whole team D.

If he was sending a message to Jake the other night then more power to him, sometimes you need to wake guys up. As long as he doesn't turn into the next Randy Carlyle and Jake into the next Mikhail Grabovski I personally am on board with it...

• Like 1

@EDI-Flyer

Yeah, you know I was not at all happy about Berube.  I probably wouldn't have said much about "interim" but not when they hired him as "permanent" head coach (whatever that means in the NHL) I was not at all happy.

So far so good and very happy to be proven wrong (always good to experience something new and different, right?  :D ).

Oh and just to kind of get back on topic, I too am impressed with the system that Berube has implemented. 

I was amongst those not thrilled with the hiring of Chief but I'm delighted that it looks like I may have been wrong. He has simplified things greatly and has them playing a whole team D.

If he was sending a message to Jake the other night then more power to him, sometimes you need to wake guys up. As long as he doesn't turn into the next Randy Carlyle and Jake into the next Mikhail Grabovski I personally am on board with it...

@EDI-Flyer

Yeah, you know I was not at all happy about Berube.  I probably wouldn't have said much about "interim" but not when they hired him as "permanent" head coach (whatever that means in the NHL) I was not at all happy.

So far so good and very happy to be proven wrong (always good to experience something new and different, right?  :D ).

So, reading between the lines, you guys are saying this was a good move by Homer, right? :D

So, reading between the lines, you guys are saying this was a good move by Homer, right? :D

Let's not get crazy, AFF.  They've still sucked for decades on special teams.  Until I see some improvement there, the jury is still out.

Remember that wonderful feature I told you about...........It does wonders for your sanity. ;)

Yes, the ignore feature is great for those that don't have to read through all the posts.   ;)

I'm glad you like it.