Emery Rule

King Knut

Stop misrepresenting it.

You're leaving out the part where Holtby gave in and started throwing punches right from the start once he realized he wasn't talking ray out of it.

Ou keep describing it (just like Timmy p did) a if ray skated up up and just started beating a begging h

Sure, yes. Holtby returned fire after emery started punching him, and then emery continued after holtby was down and covering up.

Whatever. Emery definitely qualified for an aggressor call. The point to this thread is the rules are already (mostly) in place to deal with the worst aspects of the situation without needing a new "goalie fight" rule, or expanding the basic instigator call to include automatic suspensions. Just beef up the aggressor call and be done.

I think the idea is that he was keeping others from getting involved in a goalie fight which WOULD Have lead to suspensions.

That said, he could have done more o shut the fight down before it started like saying "Ray, cool down, he doesn't want to go!" UNLESS of course it jut seemed to the red like something that happens once in a while that people fet over and not the end of the friggin' world.

Silly fella.

Do you mean the spectator in the striped shirt observing the "Debacle"? I wonder what the Ref would have done if Emery was choking Holtby to death? CPR?

Totally agreed, as long as the meaning of "aggressor" remains beating a guy while he's vulnerable, on his knees or hurt and not simply instigating.

Sure, yes. Holtby returned fire after emery started punching him, and then emery continued after holtby was down and covering up.

Whatever. Emery definitely qualified for an aggressor call. The point to this thread is the rules are already (mostly) in place to deal with the worst aspects of the situation without needing a new "goalie fight" rule, or expanding the basic instigator call to include automatic suspensions. Just beef up the aggressor call and be done.

Do you mean the spectator in the striped shirt observing the "Debacle"? I wonder what the Ref would have done if Emery was choking Holtby to death? CPR?

Refs don't break up fights unless they really really have to, and unless someone IS being choked out, officials don't tie up one player, they wait until they can cover both. Worst thing in the world to wrap emery up and then have holtby find his cohones and blast emery in the face.

That's how it's always done. Is this a new thing for you?

For the first time ever I agree with Betman....too much is being made of the fight.

It's pure stupidity to make a 10 game suspension rule over this, I can't believe how the sport is being pussified by the minute.

Not to mention.......well.........the team seems to have ralied around this game and have been playing much better since the indident.  Not saying the goalie fight "worked"......but I think a switch was flipped with many of the guys on this team since this brawl.  

Hard to deny it based on their play.

I think a switch was flipped with many of the guys on this team since this brawl.  

Hard to deny it based on their play.

question is, were they inspired by it and played better, or were they embarrassed by it and played better.

regardless, this whole thing is stupid.  

@doom88  Edmonton is still really young, but these kids don't seem to be meshing. I don't fault management, they have added a lot of vets to help the growing pains. I'm surprised Yakapov does not have outstanding wheels, he looked really fast in the OHL, but so far, the speed has not translated to his NHL game. He looks like just an average skater, and that was supposed to be one of his strong points. Of course, the real problem is the defense, they are horrid at defensive zone coverage. There is only so much they can do there, the kids are waiting in the wings and will inevitably help the whole process, but for now, they just have to be patient and grin and bear it. This is a big make or break season for Dubnyk, but he gets hung out to dry so often it's impossible to figure out how much of the problem should be laid at his feet.