Downie is Back!

hf101

I didn't realize you were such a big fan of Harry Zolnierczyk.

I knew this would be the natural kick-start reaction: latch on to the fact it was Harry Z.

I don't give a rat's ass about Harry Zolnierczky - the idea that they traded anything - a skate sharpener, a bag of pucks, a link to the Wikipedia definition of "lace count" - to get Jay Rosehill and then re-signed him to a multi-year deal is the point.

Care to address it?

Nope I don't. This topic has been beaten to death, substitute any enforcers name The Flyers have had and it's the same discussion. I think though if you don't want an enforcer on your team, The Flyers are the last ones that are going to do that. I don't know about you, but I don't want a whole roster of Briere's. :lol:

I knew this would be the natural kick-start reaction: latch on to the fact it was Harry Z.

I don't give a rat's ass about Harry Zolnierczky - the idea that they traded anything - a skate sharpener, a bag of pucks, a link to the Wikipedia definition of "lace count" - to get Jay Rosehill and then re-signed him to a multi-year deal is the point.

Care to address it?

From Wikipedia..."The page "Lace count" does not exist. " :D

• Like 1

I didn't like when he played here the first go round...he wasn't worth the trade and I don't see what all the hype was about.  I hope this was purely a cost-driven trade cus it makes no sense otherwise.  Guess this is a slight admission that they don't feel they can make the playoffs...Talbot's the kind of player you want come SCP time.   

Ugh...SO ready to put Hexy in Charge

From Wikipedia..."The page "Lace count" does not exist. " :D

So, you're saying you wouldn't make that trade? You're better off than the Flyers :D

Nope I don't. This topic has been beaten to death, substitute any enforcers name The Flyers have had and it's the same discussion. I think though if you don't want an enforcer on your team, The Flyers are the last ones that are going to do that. I don't know about you, but I don't want a whole roster of Briere's. :lol:

No one is advocating for a roster full of Brieres. The question is does Simmonds/Rinaldo fill the role that Rosehill plays against a team with no enforcer on their roster?

Care to address it?

I can't believe people on here are bitching about this trade!

We are pushovers at the moment languishing around worst in the league and you don't want a big body to grind and free up space for our so called "Goal Scorers"?

Downie is exactly what this team lacks!

Edited by OzFlyer
  • Like 1

I had some time to let this marinate and although I feel better about this I still do not like it.  Moreso b/c I am not a Downie fan.  This is nothing more than the same old BS approach by this organization.  Hey, let's trade for another has-been Flyer!  He was tough when he played here!   Please... if people are thinking Downie is going to turn around this season you must be smoking crack.   Will he help?  Most likely but this guy is not the savior of the 2013-14 season.  

The one aspect I do like is that his contract expires and Max was overpaid by Homer (go figure right?!).  But, Homer will sign this liability for another 4 years and give him a NMC/NTC...   What does it say that the Avs were not going to resign him and the guy played on the 1st line?  

Dont get me wrong... I hope he kick starts something but if people really think he is going to put this team back in contention you are way off base.   Not.Gonna.Happen...

We are pushovers at the moment languishing around worst in the league and you don't want a big body to grind and free up space for our so called "Goal Scorers"?

Really?  we need another player that will be in the box?   We need another player that is a liability?  

This is the same old BS 99% of the people around here hate - it is the same old BS!   Take another x Flyer and bring him back.  Seriosuly, if you are looking for Downie to turn around the season you are in for a HUGE dissapointment.

@murraycraven

I think he'll at least bring some motivation. And if we're still out of it come trade deadline somebody will give us a 2nd rounder for him.

FC... if this is what they need for motivation this team is in deeper **** than any of us thought.   And I have to disagree about the 2nd rounder...  I could see a 3rd but dont think you will get much more.  

So, you're saying you wouldn't make that trade? You're better off than the Flyers :D

No one is advocating for a roster full of Brieres. The question is does Simmonds/Rinaldo fill the role that Rosehill plays against a team with no enforcer on their roster?

Care to address it?

I think another trade is in the works and one of Simmonds, Rinaldo or Rosehill will be moved.

I think another trade is in the works and one of Simmonds, Rinaldo or Rosehill will be moved.

I dont think Simmonds will be traded honeslty.   He is someone who fills a much needed roll and is a big winger which we still need.  

Rinaldo, as much as I like him is a dime-a-dozen player but will bring nothing of substance back in a trade.   Rosehill... well, no one is going to give you more than a pile of game-used jocks for him.  

Edited by murraycraven

I'm bitching about this trade because I really don't agree with the rest of what you said.    If we actually had goal scorers, then maybe you'd want a big body to grind and free up space for them.  But we don't.  And there's enough of the grinder type that can free up space.  What we don't have is goal scorers and good enough defenseman.

Downie is NOT exactly what this team lacks.   Not at all.

I wouldn't be nearly as ticked about the trade if it were for the same type of player as Downie but without his name on the sweater.  I just really (x10) don't like him.

That said, put him on the line with Giroux and VL and see what happens.   It really could end up working out okay.  If not, he's a UFA this summer and don't resign him.

---

As for Talbot, he was a class guy who was horribly mis-cast on this team.  He seemed to be both an example of and also a victim of Holmgren's penchant to go get people and worry about how they'll fit later.  Fourth line would be okay for Talbot (3rd would have been better, frankly) if it were on a team with any intent to play the 4th line on a more regular basis.  But when you go out and get Rosehill, it's clear that the fourth line isn't going to play much.  And Talbot, his game, and his attitude suffered from that.  

All-in-all, I don't get the trade from either Philly's or Colorado's perspective.  At all.   I think in some ways I get it less from Colorado's.   Because at least in Philly's case it can be argued we need a winger.  We got one.  I just think it's the wrong one (just don't like him).  In Colorado's case...well, I just don't get it.

Btw, I know what you're saying because he CAN hit and DOES hit, but at 5'11" and 195, he's really not a big body.

• Like 1

FC... if this is what they need for motivation this team is in deeper **** than any of us thought.   And I have to disagree about the 2nd rounder...  I could see a 3rd but dont think you will get much more.  

I actually think that at 26 he'll get you a 2nd rounder.  Someone make the call.

I'm bitching about this trade because I really don't agree with the rest of what you said.    If we actually had goal scorers, then maybe you'd want a big body to grind and free up space for them.  But we don't.  And there's enough of the grinder type that can free up space.  What we don't have is goal scorers and good enough defenseman.

Downie is NOT exactly what this team lacks.   Not at all.

I wouldn't be nearly as ticked about the trade if it were for the same type of player as Downie but without his name on the sweater.  I just really (x10) don't like him.

That said, put him on the line with Giroux and VL and see what happens.   It really could end up working out okay.  If not, he's a UFA this summer and don't resign him.

---

As for Talbot, he was a class guy who was horribly mis-cast on this team.  He seemed to be both an example of and also a victim of Holmgren's penchant to go get people and worry about how they'll fit later.  Fourth line would be okay for Talbot (3rd would have been better, frankly) if it were on a team with any intent to play the 4th line on a more regular basis.  But when you go out and get Rosehill, it's clear that the fourth line isn't going to play much.  And Talbot, his game, and his attitude suffered from that.  

All-in-all, I don't get the trade from either Philly's or Colorado's perspective.  At all.   I think in some ways I get it less from Colorado's.   Because at least in Philly's case it can be argued we need a winger.  We got one.  I just think it's the wrong one (just don't like him).  In Colorado's case...well, I just don't get it.

Btw, I know what you're saying because he CAN hit and DOES hit, but at 5'11" and 195, he's really not a big body.

THIS!  1 MIllion times over!!!!

Dont get me wrong... I hope he kick starts something but if people really think he is going to put this team back in contention you are way off base.   Not.Gonna.Happen...

I don't think anyone has said that in this thread, and I doubt anyone thinks that Downie will "put this team back in contention."

The odds are strongly against the Flyers making the playoffs this year. Talbot was reportedly unhappy (if you believe the multiple tweets on this topic).

Downie also didn't sound very interested (at least at this point) in re-signing with the Flyers. He said as diplomatically as he could that he just wants to play it out and see what happens.

So worst case scenario, we freed up a few years committed to Talbot at $1.75M. We had a logjam, he became a floater all over the lineup, and we have someone like Laughton ready to make the jump next year. Talbot was completely expendable, especially in a year where the Flyers have a weak team.

I don't like Downie, but it seems like a strange trade from Colorado's perspective. Why would they trade away a top line winger??? He played a good chunk of time with Duchene and O'Reilly.

Anyway, Homer got more value for this team in Downie. I'm sure Colorado feels they got fair value in Talbot.

@ Brelic... if you go back a few post you can see where certain posters are saying "this is exactly what this team needs!."  Both rux and myself even responded to this nonsense.

I get, and like, that we are not committed to this deal and had noted such in previous posts.  It makes sense from the Flyers perspective whil I have no idea what the Avs are thinking.

I really do not like Downie but that is not even my issue.  The issue is that we are seeing the same approach as usual - bring back another x Flyer.  It has not worked well in the past and I dont think it will work this time.  Will he help the offense?  Most likely but it is not like we are bringing in Stamkos here.  He also only has one more goal this year than Giroux... 

He is a decent offensive player and nothing more.  If people are thinking this is going to turn around the season and believe "this is exactly what the this team needs!" then I have to quote our Captain:  "If you cant see that then you don't know hockey"

In the grand scheme of things it is not going to push this team into contention.   It will help the Team... Again, my distaste surrounds the organization's "strategy" and not Downie b/c I do think he will help.  Just not sure he is the answer...

Edited by murraycraven

Downie is better offensively, though by how much remains to be seen.

I agree that playing him with Giroux could be interesting for Giroux... Or it could flop, at which point you're just stuck with Steve Downie.

In the mean time, is coots just going to play on both PK units?

I love Steve Downie, the sucker brings intensity to the lineup and protection for the skilled players and they can cut loose the clowns like Newbury and Rosehill. Talbot is nothing really to worry about, maybe a little better offensively but not much. Frankly I really sincerely believe the Flyers won this one and it is not even close.
Edited by King Knut

So we acquired Steve Downie.... Good thing we have a decent PK! We're gonna need it the way this kid likes to rack up the pims. But its okay we have some really great penalty killers in this team. Ok let's just see who we traded for him....

oh crap.

HOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!