Flyer Youth

ItsDaBill

We gave up on him too early. N

You beat me to the punch. That said, maybe a change of scenery is what he needed. Also, playing on the top line is not hurting him. To your point, I think it is WAY too early to give up on the Schenn, Coots, etc. 

I think I might give up on the GM however. 

• Like 1

@brelic "EDIT: I will add that JVR is a PPG player this year (5 goals, 6 assists in 10 games) playing on the top line. ANd he drives the net. And he's making smart plays. I've watched a few Leafs games and this is not the Philly JVR.

He's 24, and showing signs of why he was 2nd overall. We gave up on him too early. Now, I'm not saying the trade was a bad one (though so far, it seems to be), but we were labeling him a bust at 21 and 22."

That's because (gasp) the Leafs actually inserted the kid into a spot where he could show what he can do...in the top 6 and on the top pp. While he didn't deserve to be in the Philly top 6 in terms of effort, sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and promote the kid (for an extended period of time) just to see what you have....and at the very least, get full value for him if you are gonna deal him. Last time I checked, 30-35 goal scorers don't get dealt for defensive d-men with no offensive upside like Luke. That's on Homer, for playing JVR on a defensive line and not letting him learn the game from a top 6 prospective. Insert the kid where he should be and the goals will come. The maddening part is we/Homer *knew* he had it in him from the brief playoff dominance he showed a few years earlier.

This huge miscalculation by Homer made certain we would not get full value return for a kid who should put up fantastic numbers for the rest of his career.

• Like 1

You beat me to the punch. That said, maybe a change of scenery is what he needed. Also, playing on the top line is not hurting him. To your point, I think it is WAY too early to give up on the Schenn, Coots, etc. 

I think I might give up on the GM however. 

I think sometimes people fail to realize that. The change in scenery can wake a player up. You can't assume he'd have been the same player here. Everything around you affects your mood/performance.

I think sometimes people fail to realize that. The change in scenery can wake a player up. You can't assume he'd have been the same player here. Everything around you affects your mood/performance.

i think it's alot to do with success of coaches you play with, if these young players are not responding to your coaches, then it's more of a problem with the coaching then the players, the problem is the gm and the owner is not seeing that, they think it's players not the coaching, i mean you see how they played against washington they look lost, unmotivated, this team needs a successful coach that this team can play with that knows to win.

like i said they need to go outside the box and get an assistant from a successful team that knows to coach and win.

Edited by flyersfan83

i think it's alot to do with success of coaches you play with, if these young players are not responding to your coaches, then it's more of a problem with the coaching then the players, the problem is the gm and the owner is not seeing that, they think it's players not the coaching, i mean you see how they played against washington they look lost, unmotivated, this team needs a successful coach that this team can play with that knows to win.

like i said they need to go outside the box and get an assistant from a successful team that knows to coach and win.

Eh. I think it's a case-by-case basis. Even then, I think a player is - in most cases - responsible for his own play than his coach.

There are times a coach can do something to mess with that and we've definitely had that. I thought Hitch was really bad with putting players in the wrong situation. He put guys like Sharp, Williams, and Comrie on the 4th line just because he didn't like that. Players like that are destined to fail in roles like that. Cases like this are on the coach.

But JVR was given every chance to succeed here. He played enough minutes to where he should have done something (on a more consistent basis). I would say the same thing about Couturier right now. This isn't a case of coaches holding them back, it's them not doing enough.