Meltzer: One of his best....

murraycraven

no, i'm expecting different results.  i'm increasingly confident the flyers now have a goalie unlikely to allow two floaters from the blueline per game.  tamp down on the goals against and maintain the goals for and:  different results.  likely drastically different results.

in fact, this might be a good season for the flyers if they do, in fact, follow the offensive pattern they set last season.  a ton of one goal losses turn into multi-goal wins with a decent goaltender.  my only real concern with this season is whether or not the offense can return to last season's form.

(they are 1-3 in one-goal games this year - the exception being the 2-1 win against Florida - one of three teams to score two or less against the Panthers in nine games (along with Dallas and Minnesota). they have a "decent" goaltender. What's the problem??).

hey, guess what?  that's normal.  that's why the average goals for in the league is around 2.6.  because teams score 2-ish goals in half their games, and more-ish in the other half.  2 to 3 goals per game is normal.  last season, the president's cup winning blackhawks scored 2 or less in 17 games.  pittsburgh, goalscoring leader, 16 games.  and those are the goalscoring elite.  the kings had 22 games last season with 2 or less.  

that isn't to say that the flyers didn't have spikey goalscoring, they absolutely did.  but so does everyone.

33% in two or less is a heluva lot different than 50+% two or less (29 of 48 for the Flyers).

So, yes, it's normal for run-of-the-mill, also-ran team to score two or less in 50% of their games.

And that's the point - and the (same) problem. Even with the better goalie who isn't letting "two floaters in from the blue line" and giving them all the confidence in the world (which is, after all, all they need to erupt explosively on the offensive side and dominate the league) they still aren't winning one goal games - not even by one goal much less "multiple" - and they still aren't scoring.

So, basically, I'd like to see them get off the goose egg this season in the "score more than two" department before deciding that they're just around the corner from blowing it all wide open.

So, basically, I'd like to see them get off the goose egg this season in the "score more than two" department before deciding that they're just around the corner from blowing it all wide open.

you did catch the "if" part, right?  i haven't decided anything, only said "if".

you did catch the "if" part, right?  i haven't decided anything, only said "if".

Apologies if you took the quoted statement to be directed specifically at you. I was saying I'd like to see them get off the goose egg before deciding.

That said, you did say "i'm expecting different results" and "different results. likely drastically different results" so it sounded like you had made a decision on what kind of "drastically different results" you were "expecting."

That said, you did say "i'm expecting different results" and "different results. likely drastically different results" so it sounded like you had made a decision on what kind of "drastically different results" you were "expecting."

you're right, i didn't actually say "if" on that one.  thought it was implied.  *if* the flyers can replicate their offensive output from the last 40 games of last season, they will see better results than the 21-16-3 record they posted over that stretch.  *if*.

you're right, i didn't actually say "if" on that one.  thought it was implied.  *if* the flyers can replicate their offensive output from the last 40 games of last season, they will see better results than the 21-16-3 record they posted over that stretch.  *if*.

That also requires that Mason continues to play the way he's playing now.

After 6 games this year, Mason has a 1-5 record, 2.37 GAA and .923 save %.

After 6 games last year, Bryzgalov was 2-4, 2.17 GAA and a .924 save %.

Similar goaltending statistics, similar record in the standings.

• Like 1

That also requires that Mason continues to play the way he's playing now.

After 6 games this year, Mason has a 1-5 record, 2.37 GAA and .923 save %.

After 6 games last year, Bryzgalov was 2-4, 2.17 GAA and a .924 save %.

That is a good stat Brelic...   last year Bryz acutally played very well in the beginning and then went south as the Team started playing relatively well.   I think Mason has the tools to be a very good goaltender and I am really rooting for him.   If he goes south we are in deeper trouble.   My heart says he will be fine but history has proven that he can be pretty bad too...

Loooking back, they were 10-4-3 in one-goal games last season. Not bad for a team with the goalie "letting two in from the blue line" every game.

They also scored 2 or less in 20 of their last 38 games.

So, not much area to improve in the "one goal game" category (although 17-0 would have put them in the playoffs). A LOOOONG way to go in the "score more than two" category.

Maybe it wasn't "just" the goalie and the coach?

Loooking back, they were 10-4-3 in one-goal games last season. Not bad for a team with the goalie "letting two in from the blue line" every game.

i wonder how many of the two goal losses included empty nets.  not trying to squirm out of what i said, just remember a distinct feeling last season that the repetition of two softies every game did the team in time and time again.  maybe i'm remembering wrong.

Maybe it wasn't "just" the goalie and the coach?

no, there are other issues.  it's like a car with a dead battery and torn control arm bushing.  the former stops the car dead.  the latter keeps it from driving very well.  the flyers replaced the battery.  there is still something wrong with the control arm, but it should at least move now.  should.

yeah, similar outcome but my goodness compare the games - of the 2 goalies I mean. Yes we're still losing and the record is even worse than last year's first 8 games. But the goaltending has been about as night n day as you could get. The first 3 games both Mason and Emery let in 1 ugly goal apiece but since then there's been no bad goals, no really ugly goals. That's only half of it. Mason and Emery have puck-handling abilities that Bryzgalov never dreamed of. They also read the play 1000% better, which translates into key stops when guys could use a breather...etc.

I was one of the "get rid of Bryzgalov and everything gets better" folks. Apparently I was wrong, only one thing got better (but it's a major thing): Goaltending / Team D. Maybe cut me some slack though; who could possibly have predicted Mike Smith would outscore 10 of our forwards in the first few weeks? The Flyers' offense is truly off-the-charts bad right now.

Losing Bryzgalov was by far the best move the Flyers made over the summer; addition-by-subtraction. Unfortunately with all the zeroes in the point-production column we're not seeing the benefits of it - except maybe by knowing if Bryzgalov was in net this year the losses would've been lopsided blowout types instead of 1 and 2-goal near-misses.

yeah, similar outcome but my goodness compare the games - of the 2 goalies I mean. Yes we're still losing and the record is even worse than last year's first 8 games. But the goaltending has been about as night n day as you could get. The first 3 games both Mason and Emery let in 1 ugly goal apiece but since then there's been no bad goals, no really ugly goals. That's only half of it. Mason and Emery have puck-handling abilities that Bryzgalov never dreamed of. They also read the play 1000% better, which translates into key stops when guys could use a breather...etc.

I was one of the "get rid of Bryzgalov and everything gets better" folks. Apparently I was wrong, only one thing got better (but it's a major thing): Goaltending / Team D. Maybe cut me some slack though; who could possibly have predicted Mike Smith would outscore 10 of our forwards in the first few weeks? The Flyers' offense is truly off-the-charts bad right now.

Losing Bryzgalov was by far the best move the Flyers made over the summer; addition-by-subtraction. Unfortunately with all the zeroes in the point-production column we're not seeing the benefits of it - except maybe by knowing if Bryzgalov was in net this year the losses would've been lopsided blowout types instead of 1 and 2-goal near-misses.

Hey, I agree with everything you just said. I think I disliked Bryzgalov the person more than Bryz the goalie, but I wanted him gone anyway.

But through 6 games, no matter how we "feel" about it, Bryzgalov was a statistically better goaltender. That can't be argued. He did decline after those first dozen games though. Even if Mason makes 10 incredible acrobatic saves per night and Bryz makes zero, Mason is statistically worse than Bryz through 6 games.

It's the same thing if we compare them over the last 4 years. Bryzgalov is a better goaltender. So until Mason actually proves that he's better, he's really not ;)

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, because like I said, I hated the Bryz situation from the day we traded for him. Wanted no part of him. So I can only hope Mason is better... but so far, he's not.

i wonder how many of the two goal losses included empty nets.  not trying to squirm out of what i said, just remember a distinct feeling last season that the repetition of two softies every game did the team in time and time again.  maybe i'm remembering wrong.

(No real easy way to check that quickly - but it might be worth delving into...)

no, there are other issues.  it's like a car with a dead battery and torn control arm bushing.  the former stops the car dead.  the latter keeps it from driving very well.  the flyers replaced the battery.  there is still something wrong with the control arm, but it should at least move now.  should.

I think the problem is that the CHECK ENGINE light has been flashing for the past 15,000 miles and the solution has been to put a piece of tape over it and then keep replacing the tape.

no matter how we "feel" about it, Bryzgalov was a statistically better goaltender.

it's got nothing to do with how I feel it's what I saw and what I see. Seriously. If you remember I was one of the few who were saying "No Bryzgalov!" And that was before the infamous statements from Morris and Aucoin got so much attention.

But Bryzgalov is not worth wasting words on anymore so I'll let it be. I'm happy the Flyers signed Mason and Emery; I bet the Flyers' skaters are even happier. :)

• Like 1

it's got nothing to do with how I feel it's what I saw and what I see. Seriously. If you remember I was one of the few who were saying "No Bryzgalov!" And that was before the infamous statements from Morris and Aucoin got so much attention.

But Bryzgalov is not worth wasting words on anymore so I'll let it be. I'm happy the Flyers signed Mason and Emery; I bet the Flyers' skaters are even happier. :)

I'm a fan of Mason too. Haven't really seen enough of Emery this year to judge either way, but I like his spirit and the dynamic between him and Mase.

ya Mason is getting all the starts so far except...1? or did Emery start twice?

I guess it's because Mason really *needs* the starts. I assume it's that and not that Berube has picked his #1. Emery is a known-quantity at this point but Mason is a question mark; he needs to be in there making saves, establishing his game, finding consistency...sure would be nice if they could give him some damn goal support...

I feel for the guy. It's a big year for him, pretty much "make or break." He looks like he's digging his way out of the funk...only to find he's stuck on a team that can't score goals; the worst offense in the NHL. That's got to sting.

Emery has looked shakey in both of his starts and Mason has deserved to get the majority of the work based on his strong play. I just wonder if Emery's attitude will become an issue if Mason is named the official #1?

Edited by Samifan

Emery has looked shakey in both of his starts and Mason has deserved to get the majority of the work based on his strong play. I just wonder if Emery's attitude will become an issue if Mason is named the official #1?

I don't see why. Emery has been fine the last few seasons.

Emery was the backup for a cup champ. Now he may become the backup for a non-playoff team plus he is on a one year deal so he is going to want to put up some decent numbers in hopes of getting big money (starter money) in his next contract.

I had heard somewhere that Emery was nursing a groin issue. Not serious but enough of an issue that they were giving Mason the lion's share of the starts.

That's in his bio, isn't it? "Ray Emery, professional ice hockey goalie and chronic groin injury..."

:ph34r:

That's in his bio, isn't it? "Ray Emery, professional ice hockey goalie and chronic groin injury..."

:ph34r:

lol.....sad but true. I hope he is not having the same issues with his hip that ended his last stint with the Flyers. :unsure: