Riddle Me This fellas....

murraycraven

the other thing is:  what is the point?  i don't mean that in a cynical they-shouldn't-do-it kind of way, but what would the flyers be trying to accomplish with trades right now?  win games soon?  the average age of the skaters last night was 26.7 y/o.  is it about getting even younger?  people keep talking about rebuild, but a (very) bad stretch has them looking for mid-season trades to...what?  presumably it is to solve a problem, but what problem?  do we want them to fix what they have, or do we want them to not pay so much attention to the immediate, and instead look down the road?  if the latter, why do anything at all right now?  10 skaters last night 25 or younger, 11 players including mason.  what is it people want to change?

luke schenn is a great sums-it-up of the issue.  people are fine with the theory of rebuild, the theory of getting kids on the ice and playing, understanding they aren't necessarily going to be all that great right now.  people are ok with the idea of patience, but...when presented with a 23 yearold whose game is incomplete and decidedly immature, he is on the shortlist of players to be moved.  which is it, guys?  youth and patience, or immediate results?  what would you want to accomplish with a trade?

slow-clap-gif.gif

@Polaris922

i think the Pens got momentum from near back to back penalties in the first period, giroux was in the box before the 18 minute mark and then i think grossman went shortly there after, it wasn't really until the 8 minute mark of the first that the Flyers began to level the play. 

in the second, the Pens pressed and had the better of some even play for about the first 6 minutes of the period then schenn's line got pinned in the d zone, and that seemed to last for 5 changes worth of play, bad clears by the flyers, good pinches and puck movement from the pens, culminating with the keystone cops clearing attempt that led to the jokinen goal,( this may have been where Timonen got hurt )  after that though  the Pens continued to press and got another good effort goal on rebound . Fluery took a stupid penalty that led the the flyers pp goal at the end of the period.

in the third i thought our guys played their best period of hockey...for 15 minutes , right up to the point where Coburn passed the puck to Dupuis in the slot . that was a back breaker spirit crusher whatever you want to call it.

Our guys went to the net, G Voracek and Raffl found some chemistry.  It was not a crushing defeat , after the second period, as poorly as the flyers played the score could have been 6-0,  our guys were terrible , your guys were good.  

tough to watch our guys play this poorly.

Edited by mojo1917

@Bertmega

@mojo1917

I'd like to state for the record that I do not have bertmega's password.

Having said that, I think outsiders could see Timonen trailing off last season. I'm almost sorry to hear its worse this year. I liked the guy in his prime... Still like him actually. But all things end.

Never thought signing him for $6M made any sense. He simply isn't a $6M player.

And the Flyers don't need your "outside perspective" Polaris!

• Like 1

the other thing is:  what is the point?  i don't mean that in a cynical they-shouldn't-do-it kind of way, but what would the flyers be trying to accomplish with trades right now?  win games soon?  the average age of the skaters last night was 26.7 y/o.  is it about getting even younger?  people keep talking about rebuild, but a (very) bad stretch has them looking for mid-season trades to...what?  presumably it is to solve a problem, but what problem?  do we want them to fix what they have, or do we want them to not pay so much attention to the immediate, and instead look down the road?  if the latter, why do anything at all right now?  10 skaters last night 25 or younger, 11 players including mason.  what is it people want to change?

luke schenn is a great sums-it-up of the issue.  people are fine with the theory of rebuild, the theory of getting kids on the ice and playing, understanding they aren't necessarily going to be all that great right now.  people are ok with the idea of patience, but...when presented with a 23 yearold whose game is incomplete and decidedly immature, he is on the shortlist of players to be moved.  which is it, guys?  youth and patience, or immediate results?  what would you want to accomplish with a trade?

Best. Post. Ever.

I just looked in a medical dictionary and under "Multiple Personality Disorder" it said "Flyers fans". We bitch and moan about constant roster turnover, and the organization's never-ending "win-now" approach, and when we have a young team and a rookie coach the cry is "trade all the things!"

• Like 2

I think there is also the point that there are many different Flyer fans with many different opinions and conflating them all into one big ball isn't always the most effective procedure.

Are there people who are as you describe? Yes, undeniably. I reject the notion that that is every, and probably not most, Flyer fans.

@Polaris922

Rad's "outsider perspective" is now a quote from the owner himself who essentially told a reporter to **** Off during the Lavy firing press conference at which he used those very words.

didn't know if you knew that, it was an inside thing that maybe you missed.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

Rad's "outsider perspective" is now a quote from the owner himself who essentially told a reporter to **** Off during the Lavy firing press conference at which he used those very words.

didn't know if you knew that, it was an inside thing that maybe you missed.

Thank you! I didn't see Snider say it but I did recall the forum talk about it.