Coming to Jesus Time folks...

murraycraven

Tough Schedule - Very Tough:  Looking at the next five games:   Detroit, Vancouver, Pitt, Rangers and Islanders there is a serious chance that we get swept through this run of games and end up w/ a 1-9 start to the season.   Not saying it is going to happen but it certainly is a very real possibility now that Vinny and Hartnell are out at least a week.

The Test:  a gigantic test for this Team and the new Coach.   The inability to score is beyond mind boggling and just downright ridiculous.   Honestly, I am embarrassed of this Team.  I commend the "passion" of the play in the past two games but there has to be a way to finish and put the puck in the net.  

The Captain:   Well, he played a decent game and seemed to have his legs under him.  For this Team to have the smallest chance of making the playoffs we need CG28 to play like "the best player in the world" over this stretch.   Someone is going to have to put the puck int he net and Vinny just went down.   IMO, Jake needs to be moved right to the top line along w/ CG28 and hope like hell some of the magic comes back.

Intangibles:  Simmonds, Read and Cooter need to start chipping on some goals for secondary scoring.   Kimmo needs to be taken off the # 1 PP unit and replace him w/ Streit.

Call-ups:   Who gets the call up(s) from the Phantoms?   I hope it is McGinn but can see Homie doing something different.  Whoever it is I hope they bring some heart to this team

Defense:  It is time to put Gus in the lineup.   Outside of Streit there is not a single defensive player that can skate the puck in transition.   Put the kid in and sit one of the pylons...

Predicton:   My prediction is based on what I have witnessed so far this season and I can't cheat myself into thinking something more than what I have watched.   This is the stretch from hell - The Flyers do not have the game to play w/ the likes of the Red Wings, Pens and Islanders right now...  Could this be the nail in the coffin for Ol' Homer?

On the bright side I am also predicting a good draft pick for next season - this Team is simply not good.

This is not a fun team to watch. They just can't seem to get their act together.  The fact that the call-ups are scoring tonight is uplifting and disturbing in the same breath. 

I know people want to believe the players on this team are good, but it's simply not true. Not as a group, anyway. Just a horribly constructed grouping of players that simply don't complement each other in a productive way. Thus team is simply not a playoff team.

The defense is atrocious and the offense--for lack of a more accurate term--is a collection of complementary players who cannot score consistently enough in this league. Simply not enough talent on this team. I'm convinced of it.

• Like 1

Tough Schedule - Very Tough:  Looking at the next five games:   Detroit, Vancouver, Pitt, Rangers and Islanders there is a serious chance that we get swept through this run of games and end up w/ a 1-9 start to the season.   Not saying it is going to happen but it certainly is a very real possibility now that Vinny and Hartnell are out at least a week.

The Test:  a gigantic test for this Team and the new Coach.   The inability to score is beyond mind boggling and just downright ridiculous.   Honestly, I am embarrassed of this Team.  I commend the "passion" of the play in the past two games but there has to be a way to finish and put the puck in the net.  

The Captain:   Well, he played a decent game and seemed to have his legs under him.  For this Team to have the smallest chance of making the playoffs we need CG28 to play like "the best player in the world" over this stretch.   Someone is going to have to put the puck int he net and Vinny just went down.   IMO, Jake needs to be moved right to the top line along w/ CG28 and hope like hell some of the magic comes back.

Intangibles:  Simmonds, Read and Cooter need to start chipping on some goals for secondary scoring.   Kimmo needs to be taken off the # 1 PP unit and replace him w/ Streit.

Call-ups:   Who gets the call up(s) from the Phantoms?   I hope it is McGinn but can see Homie doing something different.  Whoever it is I hope they bring some heart to this team

Defense:  It is time to put Gus in the lineup.   Outside of Streit there is not a single defensive player that can skate the puck in transition.   Put the kid in and sit one of the pylons...

Predicton:   My prediction is based on what I have witnessed so far this season and I can't cheat myself into thinking something more than what I have watched.   This is the stretch from hell - The Flyers do not have the game to play w/ the likes of the Red Wings, Pens and Islanders right now...  Could this be the nail in the coffin for Ol' Homer?

On the bright side I am also predicting a good draft pick for next season - this Team is simply not good.

spot on MC......

I know people want to believe the players on this team are good, but it's simply not true. Not as a group, anyway. Just a horribly constructed grouping of players that simply don't complement each other in a productive way. Thus team is simply not a playoff team.

The defense is atrocious and the offense--for lack of a more accurate term--is a collection of complementary players who cannot score consistently enough in this league. Simply not enough talent on this team. I'm convinced of it.

Couldn't agree more... 

There is zero elite talent, no argument at that level. But there is very good talent, and rising talent. They should be performing better, and will once the effort is there. B Schenn and Lecavalier are doing it. Couturier looked better in the Detroit game. Even Streit has been good enough so far.

Simmonds I worry will never rise beyond complimentary due to his stone hands. And I love his constant effort. Read goes in this category too, but I can't pinpoint why - he just doesn't have "it".

Giroux and Voracek could be two very good players, but are underperforming. I've got to think both have lingering injuries, because nothing else makes sense based on their prior two seasons.

The fact is, there isn't much elite talent in the league. And the few teams that have it, stockpile multiple players. You can beat those guys, but you need to get everything out of your roster. See LA and Boston.

There is zero elite talent, no argument at that level. But there is very good talent, and rising talent. They should be performing better, and will once the effort is there. B Schenn and Lecavalier are doing it. Couturier looked better in the Detroit game. Even Streit has been good enough so far.

Simmonds I worry will never rise beyond complimentary due to his stone hands. And I love his constant effort. Read goes in this category too, but I can't pinpoint why - he just doesn't have "it".

Giroux and Voracek could be two very good players, but are underperforming. I've got to think both have lingering injuries, because nothing else makes sense based on their prior two seasons.

The fact is, there isn't much elite talent in the league. And the few teams that have it, stockpile multiple players. You can beat those guys, but you need to get everything out of your roster. See LA and Boston.

Several things going on in this post-much I agree with.

I agree about the "elite level" thing. I also agree with the implication that elite level isn't necessarily required.

I also agree that what IS here should probably be performing better.

That said, I don't think that as a group this is a playoff team. I'll try to cone back and explain a little better when I'm not on my phone, but for now I'll just say that while there are plenty of players on this team that I like and could be important pieces on a successful team, that when combined into the current group aren't--as a group--good enough. The "work harder" drove me nuts with Barber and Stevens. I just see the Flyers returning to that lost cause with Berube.

When cooking, you can go out and get a bunch of very expensive, very good ingredients. But if they are ingredients that don't go together in a cohesive way, you're not going to end up with a very good dish. I'm becoming increasingly convinced this is where we're at with this group

@ruxpin entirely plausible, and a clear analogy. I'll be interested in seeing where this team stands Jan 31.

Another thing killing this team is penalties. They have to stop shooting themselves in the foot! Now, the Habs and Wings had some home cooking keeping them out of the box, but Philly needs to be cleaner regardless.

Been reading a lot and wanting to post so finally going to spit it all out.

I'm bummed about the record but I think this team does have talent but is in a team wide scoring slump.

I'm happy with the goaltending over what it was especially with Mason in net 

And to me the positive thing about Berube so far is they are letting up less goals....Detroit withstanding.  So if the scoring can pick up and they can average 2.5 - 3 goals, and Mason can average 2 goals against the wins will come.

Hartnell doesn't belong on the top two lines, he should have to earn it when he comes back

Kimmo needs his role reduced.

To me, the Flyers have been OK / verging on great offensively (the last few seasons) up until now so I don't think that's the problem, current slump withstanding.  

The real problem is the defense is too slow for today's game.  I like Grossman, I like Coburn, I like Schenn, used to love but now just like Timmo, but cumulatively they simply aren't fast enough.  

We'll never have a true stud goal tender so I'll take solid.  And we'll always have to kill off more penalties than Detroit, Pitt, Montreal...so need to make the best of it...learn how to score some shorties.

Edited by coords
  • Like 1

Welcome coords and very good post. This team should score goals but they are just anemic right now. The scoring depth needs to come from guys like Cooter and frankly I don't see him being the offensive threat he was in Jr's.

In my opinion we need a true sniper to play up front w G and Jake...

Again... Welcome

Welcome coords and very good post. This team should score goals but they are just anemic right now. The scoring depth needs to come from guys like Cooter and frankly I don't see him being the offensive threat he was in Jr's.

In my opinion we need a true sniper to play up front w G and Jake...

Again... Welcome

YES, the Flyers seriously need a sniper