Lovin' the way Berube deals with media!

brelic

Well, Sielski basically said that hiring Chief as the new HC was a terrible idea (i.e. sticking with the same team culture that hasn't won a Cup in almost 4 decades), so let's not pretend that THAT didn't have a LOT to do with what happened at the postgame presser last night.

It was pretty funny, but he'd better not make a habit of that kind of thing.

Sielski was asking a question to a team that was firing a Stanley Cup-winning coach who had taken their team to a Final and replacing him with a guy who has just coached his first NHL game.

Valid line of journalistic inquiry?

I don't think Berube should have thrown Rosehill under the bus but just simply say something to the effect of,  "The coaching staff is going to make it clear to him and the rest of the team that we have to stay disciplined out there.   I have no problem with physical play but it must be in the confines of the rules and if it goes overboard and hurts this team they will sit." 

I thought Sielski used the wrong word in "punish" and certainly could have asked his question differently.  I agree with the essence of your statement.

Berube's response was initially funny ("What, you want me to spank him?"), then he went too far.  You just won your first game as a HC in the NHL.  Why do you have to tell someone to get lost and call him or the question stupid? Just answer the question!  I thought it was an arrogant and immature response.

I don't live in the Philly area and don't get to hear the pressers or read the articles in the Philly papers.  If the reporters are in fact douchenozzles as FC stated, Berube shouldn't lower himself to that level.  Take the high road.

• Like 1

Again, we're all happy as heck that they killed off the four minutes.

If they didn't, I'll wager Chief - and all of us - would be in a Very Different frame of mind about Rosehill (who, honestly, doesn't belong on the roster much less the ice).

If you are looking for people to argue with you about Rosehill's ice time, I think it is safe to say you should look elsewhere for someone to argue with......

I don't live in the Philly area and don't get to hear the pressers or read the articles in the Philly papers.  If the reporters are in fact douchenozzles as FC stated, Berube shouldn't lower himself to that level.  Take the high road.

Berube is who he is. There's a lot of shoulda, woulda, coulda in this thread, but at the end of the day, that's his personality. He seems like a focused, no time for BS kinda guy.

Would you ask Brian Burke or Brent Sutter to change? Their personalities certainly don't endear them to the media, but if they get results, who cares?*

* I guess someone cares, because Burke's brash style was cited as one possible factor in his dismissal from Toronto.

Berube can be the biggest a-hole on the planet, and I wouldn't care a single bit if he wins hockey games.

• Like 1

If you are looking for people to argue with you about Rosehill's ice time, I think it is safe to say you should look elsewhere for someone to argue with......

Like, the Head Coach? :D

Berube can be the biggest a-hole on the planet, and I wouldn't care a single bit if he wins hockey games.

^^ that ^^

Jack... he definitely told the reporter to get lost.  It was the same reporter (Sileski) that Snider was yelling at too... I read this morning on philly.com or csn that after the Chief told him to "get lost" he actually left the building!  The reporting is apparently new on the scene and his first week of covering the Flyers is not going to well... LOL

it should be no surprise why Sielski is the new media whipping boy for the Flyers. He's come after them hard in his brief little beginnings here. Is he wrong? NO. But, I'm not at all surprised he's going to have trouble getting his questions answered from now on. Maybe he should try a Triumph the Pooping Dog trick. 

it should be no surprise why Sielski is the new media whipping boy for the Flyers. He's come after them hard in his brief little beginnings here. Is he wrong? NO. But, I'm not at all surprised he's going to have trouble getting his questions answered from now on. Maybe he should try a Triumph the Pooping Dog trick.

The line of questioning is fine. It's the way the questions are asked. Oftentimes they ask leading questions or the reporter has a particular agenda).

"What can you tell me about the Flyers culture?" or "How many candidates were considered for the head coaching job?" are much different than "Is there a problem with the Flyers culture" and "Is it time to change the culture?"

In the latter, they are assuming there's a problem with the culture.

Asking a coach if a particular player is going to get punished is dumb. That's not the kind of thing that coaches generally handle publicly. Berube, like any coach, will do what he thinks is best in the situation regardless of what the media asks. Maybe this guy is trying to make a name for himself because he's new. He might get better results by actually writing good articles about hockey. What a concept.

Jack, I am in total agreement.

Sorry but hockey is a sport od bad mistakes... whether it be fighting, a bad pass or sloppy defense.    That question deserved a snarky comment.  Was it a dumb penalty?  Yes but at least the guy was sticking up for a teammate and was bringing a little fire to the game.  I though Chief was absolutely  awesome w/ the response...  it was quick, witty and frankly dead on.   It was a bad question...

We are talking about NHL players here not some PeeWee B Team.  Coaching so many years I WISH i could have reacted the same way to some of my parents!

Edited by murraycraven

I guess the reason that generally take sides against the media (even in the Bryz case) is that Philadelphia is supposed to be a "hockey town" but that certainly isn't reflected by the coverage in the Inquirer and DN. Living in the Boston area I read the Globe's coverage of the Bruins pretty regularly, and it is so far superior to what Flyers fans are stuck with, it's not even funny.

I guess the reason that generally take sides against the media (even in the Bryz case) is that Philadelphia is supposed to be a "hockey town" but that certainly isn't reflected by the coverage in the Inquirer and DN. Living in the Boston area I read the Globe's coverage of the Bruins pretty regularly, and it is so far superior to what Flyers fans are stuck with, it's not even funny.

Jack... while I think Philly is a good hockey town it certainly is not anywhere near Boston, Montreal, Toronto, etc...  The Flyers have a hugely fiathful fanbase but when it comes to hcokey it certainly sits behind the Eagles and Phillies.   From a Philly standpoint most fans of the Sixers, Phillies and Eagles get annoyed b/c they seem to think that Flyers fans have complete "blind faith" in the franchise.  

The hockey coverage in Philly is laughable at best IMO.  Some of the local papers like the Delco Times are literally on a 3rd grade reading level.  Hockey will never take as much real estate in print to the other sports - sadly.

Edited by murraycraven