Light lineup for Flyers tonight vs. NJ Devils

Guest pilldoc

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Light-Flyers-lineup-tonight.html

NEWARK, N.J. -- Closing out their exhibition slate with games on back-to-back nights, the Flyers are taking a light lineup to New Jersey tonight.

The Flyers’ entire top line (Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell and Jake Voracek) will not make the trip. Vincent Lecavalier, Kimmo Timonen and Mark Streit will also be among the scratches.

"I want to make sure we leave training camp healthy and we're in good shape," coach Peter Laviolette said yesterday. "We're still evauating, as well. Training camp is still going on, but ... I want to make sure we're not overdoing it with back-to-backs."

New Jersey will be going with a “close to” as possible regular season lineup, according to Devils coach Pete DeBoer. The Devils will be without Jaromir Jagr (lower-body soreness) (not doubting his heart, but I think we finally see his body start to breakdown this season) and Martin Brodeur (personal reasons), so Cory Schneider will face the Flyers for the second time this week. Scheider has allowed just one goal on 70 shots faced in the preseason: Timonen's power play goal in the final minutes of Tuesday's loss.

There are still a few reasons to track the game, which will be available in the Philadelphia region via webcast on the Flyers’ web site. Wayne Simmonds will play his first preseason game in nearly 10 days after missing time with the flu.

Also, this could be a last look for both Michael Raffl and Chris Vande Velde. The two wingers battling for one of the final spots on the roster are playing - and they aren’t currently scheduled to skate on Friday night in Washington.  (So does mean Laughton makes the team?)

Steve Mason is starting in net and is expected to play the full 60 minutes. This will be Mason’s third full start of the season - and he hasn’t had nearly anything resembling a full NHL lineup in front of him.

It is believed Ray Emery will start Friday night in Washington, though Emery and Mason could split the final tune-up. (So who starts the season vs. the Leafs?)

In addition, Nick Cousins, Ben Holmstrom and Tye McGinn are making the trip down from Adirondack to suit up for the Flyers.

Will still watch part of the game, however I was really hoping to see the top line try to get into some type of groove.

Edited by pilldoc

thanks for giving the heads up about webcast game

Indeed. I just looked on my streaming service and was pissed they weren't showing it but I'm guessing the cast on the Flyers site means it ain't on TV. Thanks doc.

Edited by EDI-Flyer