Matt Read Extended

Guest dilbert719

I guess I'm the only one thinking this was a little much? I like read well enough, but can't shake the feeling he is a 50 point guy who stepped into the NHL producing at his NHL level. And isn't really the strongest two way player, either. Mid roster offensive skater. $3mil even sounds fair.

If he keeps going up, point total-wise, awesome. If he is what he is, the contract seems a little high, to me. Not terribly, but still.

@jammer2 I agree. I don't think this will make him complacent.

But, I do think that if he is going to hit 60 points as @canoli suggests, it will have to be with a regular amount of PP time and time in the top 6. He won't do that with Coots and Talbot.

no doubt - to hit 60 he'll need reg PP minutes. The 1st unit is pretty much set but the 2nd unit - it seems like Lavy puts guys out there who he thinks are going good that night. It'll be up to Read to prove himself worthy of the PP time.

It may have been a result of who was in the lineup, but Read was playing the point on the #1 PP in the preseason game I watched.  He may get that needed time.

Not the most scientific display, but I did a quick search based solely on production last year (24-26 points) and stuck with players who have been around the 40-50 point mark in the past few seasons. They might not be the most comparable based on other aspects of their game, but they appear to be in terms of production.

For what Read brings to the table, seems like we got a pretty fair deal. It's not on the bargain side, but it could have been much worse.

Early-20s

Skinner, $5.725M

Boedker, $2.55M

Mid-20s

Read, $3.625M

Stastny, $6.6M

Berglund, $3.25M

Perron, $3.812M

Hagelin, $2.25M

Late-20s/30s

Clarkson, $5.25M

Burrown, $4.5M

Legwand, $4.5M

Morrow, $1.5M (on a 1-year contract; he's coming off a 6-year, $4.1M/per)

Not bad. Note though that Hagelin's and Berglund's deals were RFA contracts, while Read would have been UFA at the end of the season and would have been paid a premium like Clarkson if he maintains his level of production.

Read would have been UFA at the end of the season and would have been paid a premium like Clarkson if he maintains his level of production.

really doubt it, because A)clarkson's contract was a laughing stock, not anywhere near normal for his production, and B)as insane as it was, toronto felt they were getting a milan lucic-style physical offensive player who does something more than just score.  they way way overvalued it, but there was a thin explanation as to why they thought he was particularly valuable.  read doesn't have that multiple angles thing; an hardworking offensive winger who contributes offensively, and that's about it.

I guess I'm the only one thinking this was a little much?

nope, just 2 posts prior to yours I wrote:

If I was asked to predict what would be deserved, I'd have guessed lower.

I'm not in love with the amount and I intended to imply that I did think it was a tad high but in my post I also also echoed @dilbert719 sentiment that at least it wasn't as high as it could have been.

it did also cross my mind that:

guys who sign "good contracts" and use them as trade bait.

and to that, as long as it's for a quality defenseman, I guess that's okay, but for the time being I'm glad he signed here for a non crippling contract.

Can this season just start already!

Edited by Spinorama