Matt Read Extended

Guest dilbert719

4 years, $14.5M, $3.625M annual cap hit.

More money than I was expecting, less than I was fearing. Overall, I think we can live with that.

This is an excellent signing.  I am extremely happy with this. This contract was less money than I expected.  I figured he was getting in the $4.25 to $4.5 a season if he had gone to free agency.

Now I hope this is not a sign and trade deal.

4 years, $14.5M, $3.625M annual cap hit.

More money than I was expecting, less than I was fearing. Overall, I think we can live with that.

Great job Homer!  I knew you had it in you! ;)   Best part of this deal ----> No NMC! :D

• Like 1

So, who do we think we're dealing Read for? :ph34r:

Very solid signing, and makes my acquisition of a Read shirt even more valuable.

a 2nd round pick! :P

ship Read and Mez for a solid blue d-man (shrugging shoulders) .... you know something is up...Homer just does not make a solid signing without find a way to screw something up! (note sarcasm here)

Good - I really like Matt Read - I guess we all do - and I hope Jammer is exactly right: he has a serious breakout year coming up. He should be one of our dependable scorers; I'm hoping for 60 points from him. Maybe I'm dreaming, that's a pretty big jump in production but he's got a scorer's attitude seems to me - he wants the puck. Good work Homz!

The only potential downside - and I know I am overanalyzing this - is will this deal make Read complaicant?  There is a reason why players in their contract year perform at their best.  I don't think Read is a type of a player who would just stop trying, but still...

But I guess the Flyers felt this could also become a breakout year for him, so they needed to sign him quickly to prevent a "demand".  I like the signing - the length, the money, everything.  I am just concerned whether this woudl make Read rest on his laurels.  I hope not.

@jammer2 I agree. I don't think this will make him complacent.

But, I do think that if he is going to hit 60 points as @canoli suggests, it will have to be with a regular amount of PP time and time in the top 6. He won't do that with Coots and Talbot.

no doubt - to hit 60 he'll need reg PP minutes. The 1st unit is pretty much set but the 2nd unit - it seems like Lavy puts guys out there who he thinks are going good that night. It'll be up to Read to prove himself worthy of the PP time.

I was curious which direction they were going to go with Read.  Glad to see he's staying here.

More money than I was expecting, less than I was fearing.

I feel the same.  I'm okay with the money being what it is.  If I was asked to predict what would be deserved, I'd have guessed lower.  However, given the track history of the Flyers, I also feared that we wold grossly overpay to keep him, which this certainly is not.  good signing.