Gagne not happy with Flyers (article)

Guest Leach27

Hmm... could be. I could swear I remember reading somewhere that he was a center in juniors. There is this on his website, although it doesn't say what position he played in junior"

"Gagne was drafted 22nd overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft and made the Flyers out of training camp prior to the 1999–2000 season. His rookie season saw him play primarily at centre and score 20 goals and 28 assists in 80 games, good enough to be named to the NHL All-Rookie Team. He chipped in 5 goals and 5 assists in 17 games during the playoffs before the Flyers lost in seven games to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference Finals.

The following season, he was converted from centre to wing."

I don't remember him playing center (or centre) for the Flyers.

I don't either.

So, you're saying to avoid the throwaway lines at the last second? ;)

• Like 1

@JackStraw  Yeah, Gagne was converted from center to wing after he left junior. He even played center on the World Jr team, even though they had 6 centers on that squad, he was deemed one of the best ones and played 2nd line center. There was quite a lot of controversy over how Gagne would make the transition in the pros. 

@JackStraw  Yeah, Gagne was converted from center to wing after he left junior. He even played center on the World Jr team, even though they had 6 centers on that squad, he was deemed one of the best ones and played 2nd line center. There was quite a lot of controversy over how Gagne would make the transition in the pros. 

Weird that HDB had him as a LW in the draft order.

So, I sit corrected. :)

From Gagne wiki page...

"Gagné was drafted 22nd overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft and made the Flyers out of training camp prior to the 1999–2000 season. His rookie season saw him play primarily at centre and score 20 goals and 28 assists in 80 games, good enough to be named to the NHL All-Rookie Team. He chipped in 5 goals and 5 assists in 17 games during the playoffs before the Flyers lost in seven games to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference Finals.

The following season, he was converted from centre to wing."

I had thought he made the jump to lw right out of the gates in the NHL, but apparently he even played his rookie year for the Flyers as a center.

From Gagne wiki page...

"Gagné was drafted 22nd overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft and made the Flyers out of training camp prior to the 1999–2000 season. His rookie season saw him play primarily at centre and score 20 goals and 28 assists in 80 games, good enough to be named to the NHL All-Rookie Team. He chipped in 5 goals and 5 assists in 17 games during the playoffs before the Flyers lost in seven games to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference Finals.

The following season, he was converted from centre to wing."

I had thought he made the jump to lw right out of the gates in the NHL, but apparently he even played his rookie year for the Flyers as a center.

Yeah, I don't ever remember seeing him play center for the Flyers. Then again, I don't remember lots of things.

• Like 1

Jammer... That is a perfectly valid question and not a single one of us knows the answer - the true answer. Maybe hexy and homer talked and both agreed that going with the youth is better served. Maybe Hextall swayed homers thought process during talks.

My point here is that I find it hard to believe that homer promised anything more than a" we'll see." To me Gagne and camp did a disservice to himself/themsleves by telling his agent to not talk to anyone else - he admitted to doing so...

Does it make it right? Of course not but by doing so he put himself in a bad position. Again, my point is that Homer did not promise anything so nothing was a given in terms of a contract.

I love Gagne but I think he was naive at best during the whole process. Running g a hockey team is about putting the best product on the ice and not about favors or handshake deals. It is a fluid situation and as opportunities present themselves thinking and strategies have to change.

I think once Cleary was invited Gagne should have known he had a long shot to get an invite. To say that Homer was "hinting" that he would get a contract or an invite tells me that Homer was playing both sides of the coin - as a GM I find it funny that people get upset with this but to me it is strictly business.

I hope the best for Gagne and I find it odd that he publicly recanted some of his comments. I don't fault Homer for making tough decisions in the best interest of the club. Whether they are the right decisions is a different storyB-)

With that said I hate how the whole thing played out... A good soldier like Gagne should go out with nothing but class. I think the Flyers should have handled better but I think Gagne could have handled the situation better as well.

Last, having a young kid play will be better for the team and better for the cap. I just don't see Gagne helping this team at the cost he will demand.

The one thing I haven't been able to find or see in articles is what Gagne was looking for in a contract. If the Flyers were looking to sign him between $1 million and $1.5 million but Gagne was looking for over $2 million then Gagne should have figured it out for himself. As for Cleary, I find it hard to believe that the Flyers offered him a 3 year deal yet he took a one year deal to stay in Detroit. Always liked Gagne as a player but he's been in the business long enough to know you don't put your eggs in one basket and it doesn't look like other teams were interested in him probably because of his past injuries.

I know this is a little out there, but could he be signed on a two way contract.This way if the Flyers want to go with youth at first they can experiment with there rookies and if they still need more seasoning, Gagne can be a call up. Since he's under 35, the new rules shouldn't circumvent this from happening. Anybody care to venture further on this?

I know this is a little out there, but could he be signed on a two way contract.This way if the Flyers want to go with youth at first they can experiment with there rookies and if they still need more seasoning, Gagne can be a call up. Since he's under 35, the new rules shouldn't circumvent this from happening. Anybody care to venture further on this?

Raffl is wearing 12 in camp.

Gagne's not coming back.

Yes, how he was given that number, I don't know. Grasping at straws....grasping at straws...

------------------------ fin --------------------------