Homer: "Closed the door on Gagne"

murraycraven

@murraycraven  Just cause you have cap space, does not mean you have to spend it. What if Mason or Emery goes down, you will need money/cap space to find a respectable replacement. Imagine that, being able to complete a trade for a valuable addition because you can outbid other top teams, that have no cap space left?  I'd just sit on that money and wait till the right deal falls into Homer's lap.

@murraycraven  Just cause you have cap space, does not mean you have to spend it. What if Mason or Emery goes down, you will need money/cap space to find a respectable replacement. Imagine that, being able to complete a trade for a valuable addition because you can outbid other top teams, that have no cap space left?  I'd just sit on that money and wait till the right deal falls into Homer's lap.

I agree with you about saving the cap space in case on an injury. The Flyers are the type of organization that are going to do that. We are always going to have very little or no cap space. Get used to it.

I have always liked Gagne but he was not eactly a physical force if that is what you mean.  Simply was not part of his game but he was talented nonetheless.  That is the beauty of hockey and this board - people have varying opinions so I would not say it makes you a bad fan...

Not particularly disappointed, but it is interesting to hear Homer talk out of one side of his mouth about how impressed he is with Dan Cleary and his "loyalty" to the Red Wings - and then turn around and tell Simon (a "good soldier" if there ever was one) that it's all over.

• Like 1

Maybe they (Homer and Hexy) just do not think Gagne has anything left in the tank.  Cleary is a better player at this point and would help the Flyers more than Gagne.   Cleary now goes his way and a cheaper and younger version will be in the lineup.  

Look, I am not a Homer fan but people around here anymore would find a way to crucify him if he ended world hunger.   The guy can't win...  Everyone is whining about Cleary and it does not appear Homer made an offer other than a tryout.  Now, instead of taking on an aging Gagne he is going with the youth movement (for now anyway).  At least give the guy credit when credit is due...  

It's like a funeral here lately w/ all of the negativity...

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

@murraycraven  I'm trying not to be negative. I've never been a huge Gagne fan, have tons of respect for him and what he has done for the org over the years....but it just feels dirty the way we treated him. I'm assuming there was a nudge, nudge, wink from the Flyers, intending to sign him when the LTIR money was available (really, if that was not in place, why have we heard literally nothing about Gagne talking to other teams, why wait this long?).

The way they did him was dirty, and I'm in favour of giving the kids a shot, or a shorter cheaper Cleary deal would have been ok also. I guess what I'm trying to say is I believe he should have got better treatment from the Flyers. Don't string the poor guy along, let all the contenders spend their cap cash and THEN tell him it's not a good fit. For a team that prides itself on being a family, they treated him like yesterdays leftovers.

• Like 3

@murraycraven  I'm trying not to be negative. I've never been a huge Gagne fan, have tons of respect for him and what he has done for the org over the years....but it just feels dirty the way we treated him. I'm assuming there was a nudge, nudge, wink from the Flyers, intending to sign him when the LTIR money was available (really, if that was not in place, why have we heard literally nothing about Gagne talking to other teams, why wait this long?).

The way they did him was dirty, and I'm in favour of giving the kids a shot, or a shorter cheaper Cleary deal would have been ok also. I guess what I'm trying to say is I believe he should have got better treatment from the Flyers. Don't string the poor guy along, let all the contenders spend their cap cash and THEN tell him it's not a good fit. For a team that prides itself on being a family, they treated him like yesterdays leftovers.

Jammer....  I completely agree they left Gagne hanging and it was not a cool move by the Flyers.   The guy deserves better IMO and he has long been one of my favorite players.   I guess the saying goes that "business is business" and I am assuming Hextall had to at least have some say in the process with Gagne.   He has seen Gagne play longer than anyone since he left the Flyers so maybe he just feels that Gagne is not worth the risk.

Who knows... it has been a strange few days for sure!   Trying to make heads or tails of all this is like trying to understand quantum physics.   At the end of the day I think Cleary playing for the RWs and Gagne moving on helps the Flyers.   I am just trying to look at this from a business perspective and not the gushing "Gagne loving fan" perspective.  

Laughton will be a better value and a better player this year than Gagne.  I like Cleary's game a lot but the whole thing was just odd.  If Homer did in fact offer that contract he should be shipped out of town.  We have enough overpriced vets with NTCs/NMCs...

@murraycraven  I agree MC, in the long run the Flyers helped themselves by not committing to those deals, in Gagne's case, I would have liked to see more respect shown to him, and I'm by no means Gagne's biggest supporter here.

As far as Laughton goes, if the Flyers wanted him to contribute this year, I don't think they should have signed Vinny. Having G, Vinny and Coots blocking the way at center kind of makes Laughton an OHL'er this year, no? I think everyone agrees that he should not be tolling on the 4th line playing a sparse 4-5 minutes a night. That could hurt his development. I believe Scott has to handle the puck more, in a top pp setting to really get the most out his underrated offense skills.

I do think he might have outgrown the OHL, and might be served best in the AHL this year, but like fc said yesterday, going back to the OHL for one more year never killed a career, but being brought up to early certainly has. Perfect scenario for Scott is playing on the Phantoms top pp and top line, against men...but the OHL is a nice consolation prize. Every once and a while a kid gets caught in the middle, where he can't go to the AHL due to age, and has to go back to jr....and Scott is right there, caught in the middle. I think he would learn more in an AHL setting, but only about 5-10% of prospects are in that category.....so this by no means condemns my precious OHL or the rules that help our player pipeline survive and flourish.

• Like 2

great synopsis Jammer...  

Here is what I am more pissed about:   Streit is wearing # 32!  That is my f'ing number!  Long live Murray Craven!

I can hear the cursing now when the defensive mistakes start pouring in, let us hope Mark does not disgrace that number...ha ha!

I don't care how many pts this guy gets, if he is not giving an honest effort in his own zone, I'm gonna be pissed. Having said that, I'm really trying to keep an open mind on him and give him a fresh new start, and not judge him on anything he did on the Isle. All I ask is an honest effort.

• Like 1

Did the Flyers somehow hurt Gagne's chances to sign for another team? It's not like he was Flyers' property this summer; he could've signed anywhere at any time. Homer made it clear right after FA started that signing Gagne was not a priority. I don't see how Gagne was hurt by the Flyers.

@canoli 

Did the Flyers somehow hurt Gagne's chances to sign for another team? It's not like he was Flyers' property this summer; he could've signed anywhere at any time. Homer made it clear right after FA started that signing Gagne was not a priority. I don't see how Gagne was hurt by the Flyers.

I guess nobody knows for sure, but from the outside looking in, the Flyers made a promise to sign him, then withdrew it. That's why we have heard literally nothing about him looking for a team or a team being interested in him. Why would Gagne wait so long to secure a contract? I don't for one second believe that he's *that* washed up that no team would have made him an offer this far into the off season. Just my take.

It's like a funeral here lately w/ all of the negativity...

So this is what it's like to be a flyer fan..........were already pissed off with so much to be angry about. I'm ready for a terrible fu**ing season, what about you??? I even got my waffles ready cause I got tickets for the game on the 16th.

• Like 1

@canoli 

I guess nobody knows for sure, but from the outside looking in, the Flyers made a promise to sign him, then withdrew it. That's why we have heard literally nothing about him looking for a team or a team being interested in him. Why would Gagne wait so long to secure a contract? I don't for one second believe that he's *that* washed up that no team would have made him an offer this far into the off season. Just my take.

Oh okay - well I see what you're saying, it's easy to get the impression the Flyers kept Gagne dangling all summer then said "Uh never mind we don't really need you after all." But I trust what I've heard (since the '70s) about the Flyers being a classy organization when it comes to dealing with their players. There's been some ugly exceptions of course but all in all the Flyers' reputation is a good one, of a player-friendly club.

Frankly I thought they treated Gagne worse, disrespected him more when they traded him for Matt Walker. !

I can hear the cursing now when the defensive mistakes start pouring in, let us hope Mark does not disgrace that number...ha ha!

I don't care how many pts this guy gets, if he is not giving an honest effort in his own zone, I'm gonna be pissed. Having said that, I'm really trying to keep an open mind on him and give him a fresh new start, and not judge him on anything he did on the Isle. All I ask is an honest effort.

As FC pointed out... it was already disgrace by Cote!