Cleary is NOT joining the Flyers?

Guest Mad Dog

Great thread guys...

Basically it boils down to this:

1. Does Cleary over Gagne make the Flyers a better team? (Y/N)

2. If Yes, why would be be a better fit than Gagne?

3. Does Gagne over Cleary make the Flyers a better team? (Y/N)

4. If Yes, why would he be a better fit than Cleary?

5. Do you not like the Cleary signing because of the contract and health issues, but otherwise ok with him on the Flyers?

6. Is there a need for a Cleay to be on this team? If so ....what is that need?

I think IMO this is a way to logically deal with this issue that is before us.

The Bryz buyout was the smartest thing Homer's done in a while. Hurt going down, but it was the length and size of the deal he have him two years earlier that makes him look foolish.

I never liked the Cleary thing anyway.

It's not Homer's fault if Cleary's agent didn't give him the full skinny and now Cleary wants out of the deal. We know it was free training camp with risks, it's homer's fault Cleary didn't? Come on it was in the papers.

This makes Cleary's agent look foolish if anyone.

Just do gagne and get it over with. NHL belongs in O&B.

Yeah, cause the Bryz buyout didn't do that at all! LOL.

Posted · Hidden by brelic, September 12, 2013 - Duplicate
Hidden by brelic, September 12, 2013 - Duplicate

The Bryz buyout was the smartest thing Homer's done in a while. Hurt going down, but it was the length and size of the deal he have him two years earlier that makes him look foolish.

It's not Homer's fault if Cleary's agent didn't give him the full skinny and now Cleary wants out of the deal. We know it was free training camp with risks, it's homer's fault Cleary didn't? Come on it was in the papers.

Hey Milestone!! My 1000th post!  (well a milestone to me!) :)

@jammer2

You may be right.  Snider may have given Homer the ultimatum, make a serious cup or else.  So hence the Catch-22 that this organization will always be in.  To most of us die hards here on this forum we understand the need to be patient and develop players, however, as to the average fan as you mentioned, they will have difficulty understanding that point of view.  They want a cup run now.  No cup run now brings empty seats in the spring.  Empty seats = no money.  No money makes Ed very unhappy.  Hence Ed tells Homer you need to make a cup run regardless if this team has the talent to do it or not.  Ed to Homer....one last thing your job depends on this season. Make it happen.

I honestly don't think that money matters at all to Snider.

He wants a Cup because at 80 he's not getting any younger.

My worry is the appearance of nothing but sycophants who will tell him anything that they think he want to hear surrounding him.

• Like 1

The latest updates in the Detroit News, not much new here, most of the stuff we know..

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130911/SPORTS0103/309110100/Reports-Daniel-Cleary-not-headed-Flyers-meets-Red-Wings?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

My feelings now are the Flyers were used as a giant pawn to set Dan's market price, now he's taking those figures back to the Wings, hoping they recognize his new found value on the current market. It does speak volumes for Dan that Babcock wants him back badly, rumor has it he is putting pressure on Holland to make it happen.

Crazy thought, maybe Homer is sick of overpaying for crap, and just executed a plan to run the price up on a division rival?

Well, there is a refreshing point of view. Seems to smart for a Homer play, but it would be nice if it were true. I'm leaning towards Cleary using the Flyers to generate interest elsewhere, but ya never know!

See my comments in red. How about we just don't sign either Cleary or Gagne and develop another younger player.  I'm not expecting a cup run this year anyway so why not let the youngsters develop.

Amen!  I hope there is clarity by Thursday or Friday. It is bizarre.

Best,

Howie

@radoran  I think the money is important, but certainly takes a back seat to the "one more time before I die" creed Ed is currently reciting.

This team is paying $1.4M for the next 14 years to have a player NOT play for them.

Their payroll is less than it was before the salary cap.

Ed. Does. Not. Care.

And neither does Comcast.

My goodness this is starting to sound like a choose your own adventure book. 

You're (Holmgren) sitting at the office, minding your own business, when someone knocks at your door...

What will you do:

(1) Answer it

(2) Hide under your desk

-----> Answer it (turn to page 27)

There is an unemployed NHL forward at the door. He is limping from his knee issues

What will you do:

(1) Slam the door shut and hide under your desk

(2) Invite him in and see what he wants

-----> Invite him in (turn to page 4)

You motion to invite him in to see if he can be of service to you, but suddenly Ron Hextall rushes in your office and bites off your arms off with his ferocious mandibles. This prevents you from signing anymore bad contracts.

Then it eats you, burps and starts to walk off, sideways, the way giant crabs do.

The End....

• Like 1

I agree...the buyout was smart and necessary.  Let's talk about the people who made the decision to sign Bryz to that contract in the first place...yeah, the same guys that bought him out, and after only 2 seasons; talk about looking bad!

Regardless, at least he's GONE!!!

The Bryz buyout was the smartest thing Homer has done since.... Homer signed Bryz to a nine-year, no-movement-clause, $51M deal?

Cleary's agent looks foolish? Cleary's agent apparently just got Cleary exactly what he wanted - a deal with the Red Wings.

Homer? Homer was walking around telling everyone yesterday that Cleary was going to be in camp this morning.

Cleary, of course, was not in camp.

But, hey, Homer did get good deal for Richards and Crater just after signing them to decade-long deals and promising them they would be the foundation of the franchise.

So, that's something anyway...