Trade Coming on D? (split)

Guest murraycraven

I have never been a Mez fan but begrudgingly have to agree there's no real harm in keeping him one more year.   

It just seems to me that when the guy does play, he plays scared (fear of re-injury).  This seems to beget more injury rather than helps to avoid it.   If he is able to play at his pre-injury level, then he becomes a decent guy to have.  I just have no confidence he'll be able to do that.

So, if he plays pre-injury (unlikely):  good

If he goes on IR:  almost as good because there's some cap space to use.

If he does play but plays scared or ineffective (like he did in his brief time back last year), it's the worst of all worlds because he'll be bad, will eat up cap space, and will be unmovable.

My biggest fear with him is option #3.

Greetings Spin:

I said on earlier threads and say it here: I don't think he is a trade...I think he is an LTIR.  I really don't see him playing again. And remember, Homer was telling us three months ago he was on the road to recovery and would be ready at the end of July...the Organeyezhation is not telling the whole story.

Peace,

Howie

hey Howie... greetings, 

i'm a bit confused... maybe i missed something. i thought mez was fully cleared just very recently. 

Hate to be a negative nelly here, but I honestly think the over/under on the first Mez injury is around Sept 25, I don't see him making it thorough camp healthy. Hope he proves me wrong, cause the guy is a legit asset when he's healthy.

There is zero chance I wouldn't rather have a grossman on the ice than a mez in the prez box.

Agree Bak... I hope mezz sticks around and I have a feeling Grossman is on the block but I have nothing to go on.. Just a hunch.

Say Grossman goes via trade and someone gets hurt we have people to call up.

As everyone points out, he's Only 27. No over 35 contract involved. No need to drag it out if he's "done done".

He's not finished, his injuries have been Ricky tacky things that keep piling up, probably one influencing the next. He doesn't have severe concussion issues and no Forsberg mutant feet.

I hope for his sake that he rebounds into a productive player again, but given the history, I'd just as soon trade home before coby.

Greetings Spin:

I said on earlier threads and say it here: I don't think he is a trade...I think he is an LTIR. I really don't see him playing again. And remember, Homer was telling us three months ago he was on the road to recovery and would be ready at the end of July...the Organeyezhation is not telling the whole story.

Peace,

Howie

Unfortunately you're both missing the point that the team is OVER the cap with him. The fact that they signed Cleary means someone is definitely leaving. Who? I don't know.

I made that post before the Clary deal went down.  Besides as was mentioned in another post, Homer has come out and said that Clary was NOT signed to a contract.  He is on a PTO contract.  Now I agree there might be a trade or player movement still in the works, BUT as much as I like Mez, I just don't see him on this roster that long.

How do they trim the 2 mill by the end of preseason?

do they have to, though?  i thought we established that LTIR allowance could be used to cover end-of-camp overages....so, up to $4.25mil (or whatever pronger's cap hit is) over the cap is ok to carry into the season.

Can you sign a guy to a conditional contract that doesn't kick in until after the LTIR deadline?

Because if so, then we only have to clear 2 million off the ledger before game 1.

If we can do that, then yes, there's room for Clearly, Gagne & Mez and hell, maybe even Gill if he plays for under a million.

Of course I think all of that will probably push them over the roster limit... But that's another hurdle.

I made that post before the Clary deal went down. Besides as was mentioned in another post, Homer has come out and said that Clary was NOT signed to a contract. He is on a PTO contract. Now I agree there might be a trade or player movement still in the works, BUT as much as I like Mez, I just don't see him on this roster that long.

Can you sign a guy to a conditional contract that doesn't kick in until after the LTIR deadline?

No

Here are some options:

Laughton goes back to Junior ($1.1M)

Rosehill ($675K), Hall ($600K), Gervais ($825K) to the A (Bourdon ($612K), Gustaffsssoonnn ($1M) also options pending Bourdon's noggin and Gus' waiver eligibility)

I thought two ways counted against? At least O-35 two ways must.

Contracts in the A apply to the cap above $900K.

For example, last year when Boucher came over and was assigned to the A with a $950K salary, $50K went onto the Flyers' NHL cap.

Rosehill, Hall, Gervais and Bourdon would not have any cap implications for the Flyers. Gus would be a $100K hit.

@aziz  My understanding is that in order to be eligible for Prongers *full* LTIR allowance, the Flyers must be 100% cap compliant before the season starts. If they are not, they are only eligible for a certain percentage of Prongers LTIR money, forget the exact numbers, but it's quite the hit they would take...enough that it is worth their while to make sure they are within the cap prior to the season starting. 

@aziz  My understanding is that in order to be eligible for Prongers *full* LTIR allowance, the Flyers must be 100% cap compliant before the season starts. If they are not, they are only eligible for a certain percentage of Prongers LTIR money, forget the exact numbers, but it's quite the hit they would take...enough that it is worth their while to make sure they are within the cap prior to the season starting. 

Pronger (et. al.) has to be on the roster on Day One of the season. On Day Two he can be assigned to LTIR. At that point, the Flyers get relief "up to" the full value of his contract. It is not just "full value".

@radoran  Depending on if they are cap compliant at the time of the LTIR?  Wait, they would have to be anyways, the season has started....damn, this stuff always messes me up!!

Well, they would need to be compliant on Day One. Then Pronger goes on LTIR. Then the Flyers can spend up to $4.9M to replace the player, but they don't "get" $4.9M in space.

I don't know what the major distinction is (beyond the Flyers' cap not being "$68.9M" instead of "$64M") but that's the way it is worded...

Let's just hope Streit doesn't get injured. That's a $10.1M problem waiting to happen...

i think that's true, but it isn't a percentage of pronger's LTIR, it is whatever is needed to make things compliant at the moment.  if the flyers remain $2mil over at the season's start, they'll only ever get to use $2mil of the overage allowance.  if they get 100% compliant (no more, no less), they'll be able to use all of it...but if they manage to push the number to $4.2mil over at season's start, they'll get to use all of it that way, too.  they have to choose up or down.

I'm with you Bak. Plus, if he is hurt again, he will be on ltir, and a bargain this coming offseason as his contract expires. No real risk or downside to keeping Mesz for one more season.

Speaking of LTIR is Rathje still on there???   :lol:   How many guys can we put on LTIR?  Looking at the age of our defense, it's possible we could see somewhere around 50% of them.  

Just havin' some fun, boys!!!