drafting Morin reminds me of Clarke Drafting Derian Hatcher 8th overall

Mario99

Would you be happy if Samuel Morin is another Derian Hatcher?

Hatcher captained the Dallas Stars to the Stanley Cup and was considered a rough defensive defenseman Taken high in the draft at #8 overall seems like a good comparison

It's so hard to compare athletes from different generations...especially kids to adults. But it would probably be fair to say that Morin has better foot speed and overall athleticism but may lack the intangibles/leadership that Derian showed.

• Like 3

@Mario99 From what I have heard, Morin skates better than Hatcher ever did. Hatch did become quite proficient at positioning though. I've heard Morin has a natural mean streak, but I'm really skeptical of that kind of thing unless I see it for myself. I love d-men that "like" to initiate contact. Darien had some real snarl to his game, I remember both brothers were feared in the OHL....and for good reason, they could really mess you up and liked doing it. Just a guess on my part, cause I really have not seen a lot of Morin, but if he's a bit quicker than Hatch on defense (I think he is now and should improve in that area as he grows into his frame), and can provide some 30-40 pt seasons, I'd be thrilled with the pick.

I'm really interested to follow the career progressions of Morrissey, Zhadrov, Pulock, Nurse and Risto and see how our scouts did with their projections.

I loved Hatcher and as usual would have loved to have had him on the team about 10 years prior to his arrival. Agree that Morin is a better skater but still like the comparison. Flyers will be thrilled if Morin is a better skating Derian Hatcher with somewhat more offensive aptitude.

Edited by terp

I'm really interested to follow the career progressions of Morrissey, Zhadrov, Pulock, Nurse and Risto and see how our scouts did with their projections.

me too, i thought "flight plan" was interesting in that, Chris Pryor wasn't sold on Nurse nor was Patterson, Patterson especially didn't think Nurse was going to "get what his game was" which i thought was interesting. Was this because they new Nurse was a goner at 11 ? the draft board that was blurred out had whomever they replaced morin with at 6. also they were really high on mueller which was interesting. the scouting staff isn't afraid to trust their instincts as opposed to walking in lock step with central scouting.

i think of the guys you listed, Ristolienen winds up being a steady NHL performer , he was the safest pick. Nurse could turn out to be the best of the draft or a wyowitka guy that never seems to get it.

@mojo1917 I think Risto is a safe pick, but I really like Nurse. He's won half the battle being a great skater and deadly fighter already. I'm failing to see the faults that the Flyers did, but willing to reserve real judgement for his rookie season and beyond. I think he gets the puck out of his end fine, even skates it out of trouble instead of making an iffy pass, so I'm lost to the true faults of this kid.

Maybe it was just a case of they knew he would be gone so they undervalued him knowing he was unattainable in the first place.

As others have mentioned it's really hard to compare players. It's probably also a little unfair to the drafted player as to compare him to a certain player often elevates fans expectations in that player develop into the one he is being compared to.

Having watch a ton of footage on Morin and the championships my first impression is that he does have some serious wheels. Compared to Hatcher (remember the infamous playoff loss and people making reference to seeing orange pylons and it being the Flyers defense), Morin is a significantly better skater. He just has an effortless stride for his size and I could see scouts being intriqued by a guy his size who skates as well as he does.

But he does seem to love the physical play which is refreshing for a big guy (Christine still ticks me off). He is also a pretty good fighter as well.

I think it is Ok to compare the two when drafted with Morin having the edge in skating, speed, and fighting and Hatcher having the edge in leadership, positional play and intangibles.

One thing in our favor is having a guy like Pronger around. He should be paid simply to mentor this kid. Mentor him of positional play, puck play, angles, stick work, how to be a professional on and off the ice. If Pronger can instill some of those traits into him with his mean streak we could have a special defensman in a couple years/

The Flyers could have taken Hatcher at #4 ... just sayin

--but then they could have taken Jagr or Brodeur or Tkachuk ...

:P

looking back at the 1990 draft the Flyers had 3 second round picks...... oh wait. -- Clarkie was with the North Stars then (no second round pick)

First, let me say...this is my first post. Love the Flyers and love taking about them. I am sure I will recognize some names from some of the other boards I am on.

Second, I have always viewed Morin's potential this way:

Pronger>Hatcher>Jason Smith>Therien>Complete Bust

Would you be happy if Samuel Morin is another Derian Hatcher?

Hatcher captained the Dallas Stars to the Stanley Cup and was considered a rough defensive defenseman Taken high in the draft at #8 overall seems like a good comparison

Not to say I told so but said Morin would be the man. They listen big time to Nolet